Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Thanks for this thread, my wife and I recently got married and we were actually just talking about how a knife block was our one big wedding gift that we wanted but didn't get. Glad to see that we maybe shouldn't bother picking one up? They are hell of expensive. Though admittedly I do want a western-style chef's knife (currently do most of our cutting with a santoku), just because it looks way easier to finely mince things which is something I've been practicing.

My knives could probably use some sharpening though, would prolonged use of a pull-through sharpener mess up my knives long-term? What's the best sharpener I could buy using this $50 Williams-Sonoma giftcard we got as a present?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Glockamole posted:

Pull through sharpeners are bad for non-disposable knives for a few reasons that are summarized by ruining the edge and not being able to do anything else. They don't do permanent damage usually, but prolonged use can make fixing the damage a pain.
I know the Edge Pro and whatever variation of knockoff are quite popular around here, but you could get a good waterstone or a couple good oilstones for inside of $50, and you'd have a lifetime supply of knife ammo for any non-serrated knife you'll ever own.

Are you talking about a whole Edge Pro kit, or a specific subset of stones?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
This is probably pretty simple, but does anyone have any non-plastic bottles they'd recommend for serving/storing sauces? I've started making my own hot sauces and keeping them in tupperware containers; not only is it annoying to have to get out a spoon and dollop the stuff out whenever I want some but the pepper residue stains the crap out of the plastic. Ideally I just want the same type of bottle that Frank's et al. are in, though I don't know if anyone just sells empty bottles like that.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Invisible Ted posted:

Ikea has flip top glass bottles of a number of sizes, phone posting so no link.

I know about those but could only find the 34 oz ones, and I'm not really making more than 8 oz per batch so that's way too big. They did have 5 oz glass spice jars with metal lids which aren't perfect but way better, so thanks for suggesting Ikea in the first place.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
My mom has been talking about a Dutch oven recipe she wants to try, but she doesn't actually own one, so my siblings and I are thinking of going in together to get her a Dutch oven. What should we be looking for when shopping for one (manufacturer, size, shape etc.)?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Thanks, so I should be looking for something that's enameled? Is 7 qt too large, or should we just get the big one and let her worry about filling it?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
My wife has expressed an interest in getting a new blender. Is the goon consensus on blenders still "get a Vitamix you coward"?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Looking at Vitamixes again, the Explorian line advertises self-cleaning, but their product video just shows someone putting warm water and a little bit of dish soap in the blender and running it. Does anyone here have one, and if so does it actually have a separate self-cleaning function?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Found a refurbished Vitamix Explorian for under $300 and it arrived yesterday, this thing is incredible. Thanks for the recommendation!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Have decided that this is the year when I stop whining about not having a kitchen scale, and actually get a kitchen scale. What should I be looking at?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Let's say you were tasked with replacing your entire pot & pan collection and had a reasonable budget with which to do so. What pot and/or pan quantity, measurements and materials would you be looking at? "Pot & pan" here can mean anything that is used to cook food on a stovetop.

E: gas stove

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 27, 2023

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Thanks for the pointers, on closer examination we probably don't need to replace everything but there's a lot of redundancy and hand-me-downs in our arsenal that I wouldn't mind streamlining. I have a 12-inch tri-ply stainless steel pan (skillet?) that I've been using more and more in the last few months, but everything else is up for debate.

E: I think my wife is fixated on the idea of buying a 10+ piece set but I really don't want the extra clutter, is there a good 5-6 piece set that covers the aforementioned basics? I don't even mind if the price is comparable to a set with more pieces, so long as the quality is there to make up for the price point.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 27, 2023

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Looking for large sealable food storage bins for use at room temp, something that would fit a shelf at least a foot high and a foot deep. Is there something food-grade that you'd recommend (especially for deterring household pests) or should I just pick up some larger general-purpose plastic bins at a Target/Home Depot/IKEA etc.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

You know, I remember seeing this brand posted here a while back and was hoping that someone would bring them up again. Are these sold in any brick & mortar locations, or would I have to order them online?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Nephzinho posted:

I think costco sells a subset of their products? Any local restaurant supply store will. Don't think you'll see them at your local home goods store though.

Hmmm, gonna have to check our local Costco knock-off (BJ's) for these. I know a couple of kitchen supply stores locally but I don't know that they are restaurant-scale. Thanks!