Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I have one very much like this: https://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-BCG111ER-Blade-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B081PBH4NX

It works well enough for spices. People who care about coffee recommend a burr grinder because they're more consistent. I don't have any experience with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

A lot of "pressure cooker" recipes are adapted from slow cooker recipes and don't adjust the liquid content, so be wary of recipes with a lot of liquid in them. The IP's strength is in compressing time and making things more tender than they normally would be, and doing it without losing much liquid in the process. Some of my favorite recipes don't have any extra liquid at all in them.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

About the only thing I do regularly that I couldn't do on induction is roast chiles and tortillas. I imagine griddling would require special equipment too, but I have a terrible time with hot spots on gas so maybe it would end up being better for that.

I still prefer gas, but induction is usable, and light years ahead of any other conductive electric stove. I'm glad it exists.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

On the other hand, we seem to spend 20 years adding brass to houses and then 30 years removing it before the cycle starts over, so I would not personally choose brass fixtures.

(This is not an argument that can be won. It is an aesthetic choice and I get that.)

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

KillHour posted:

Screw it, they look cool and they're within my budget on Amazon for more pans than I'll probably ever need.

Here's my list in case I'm forgetting something obvious that I should add:

My most favored pot is the 1.5 qt and it's not close: https://smile.amazon.com/All-Clad-Stainless-Dishwasher-Cookware-1-5-Quart/dp/B004T6M6Y4/

It's just the perfect form factor for so many things.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

Yeah, like Le Creuset, it's a bit of a racket. I acquired my collection piece by piece about 10 years ago and everything still looks and works great. I'm pretty sure they'll outlive me as long as I don't leave them underwater for a month or something. It's the heirloom furniture of cookware.

Absolutely look for bargains and sales, and there are people who make things about as good for less, but ultimately if it's within your means it's not a choice you'll regret.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

Two dishwashers at the same time.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

We've got silicone rings and even when they're not perfectly level (Gotta position them precisely or the edge of my pan will smush them) they generally still help keep most of the egg in the spot I want it. A lid to keep steam in helps too.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

A contact griddle like a Foreman grill might work for you if you're not married to the oven format.

As for small and high quality, I love the Panasonic FlashXpress. It's small, it broils instantly and does a great job reheating as well. It might be tough to keep the elements clean if you're doing a lot of bacon in it, but that's probably true of any oven.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

I'm a big fan of Bialetti's nonstick lineup of pans. They do eventually wear out, but they're solid and distribute heat well, and don't have rivets in the pan itself either.

Okay, when I was looking for links to put in here I discovered that they apparently no longer make the pans I like (the "Simply Italian" line) and all their stuff is dumb now and has the same dumb problems.

Edit 2: Or maybe they just don't sell them at Target or BB&B any more, but Amazon lists them. This design is pretty good and not terribly expensive.

Tricky Ed fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Dec 15, 2021

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Huh, I'd never heard of an infrared heated toaster oven. They make some pretty bold claims about it. I wonder if it can really get things as crispy as a regular toaster?

I love the FlashXpress so much. It is great at getting things crispy, often faster than a conventional toaster oven. It has a reheat setting with a picture of a chicken leg on it, and gosh darn it if it doesn't do a great job reheating chicken (or pizza). It cycles the light elements on and off and manages to heat the food through with a crispy outside without burning it like a standard toaster oven on broil would do.

One of its quirks is that the color of the thing matters. Dark bread toasts faster than white bread, for example, and if you wrap something in foil it just won't heat up.

It's also small. I wouldn't try to roast anything larger than a Cornish game hen in it. If you try to toast larger slices of bread it can't always fit two pieces. It doesn't have a really low "keep warm" setting - the lowest it goes is 120c/250f.

It's an amazing reheating/toasting machine but not a great replacement for a conventional oven. Picture with bread for scale:

Edit: And if oil/grease drips on the lower heating element it can cause it to fail early, yeah.

Tricky Ed fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 19, 2022

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

Kitchen work is a cycle of abuse and literally everything that goes on in one could be an example, but tape is what got mentioned first.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

N-thing Barkeeper's Friend, that stuff is magic.

But also double check the pans on the new stove. Many clad pans have enough stainless steel in them to work on induction eyes (and there are pads you can get to make any pan work).

On the other hand, sometimes imperfections in a clad pan will make a metal screech when it's used on induction, so double check that as well!

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

Really really really considering the Amazon Basics enameled cast iron dutch oven. I've been watching for deals on a Le Cruset, but $43 is almost in the "don't even think about it" price range. Any huge red flags for them?

Edit:

VelociBacon posted:

The quality of the enamel on the amazon basics dutch oven is really lacking. It has some pockmarks in it and 80% of it's use is baking bread. I suspect the enamel and the underlaying cast iron aren't bonded as well as you'd find with the more expensive offerings and as they heat/cool at different rates the enamel is weakened.

If you're reading this, how long did it take for these pockmarks to develop?

Tricky Ed fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 12, 2022

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

I just wanted to say that I do disagree a bit with a goon above who suggested the 5qt, I think with dutch ovens you want to get the largest one that you'll be able to store, work with, wash, etc. I cook for 2-6 people at a time with it and depending on what's in there (a roast on veg for example) you'd be hard pressed to be able to put the lid on sometimes.

Yeah, I'm getting it to replace a 6 qt Lodge (no coating) and I'm going bigger. It'll fit nicely between the IP and the stock pot. Thanks for the help.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

Induction is worlds better than coil or flat top electric. The instant heat control is very nice. Just be sure you don't get one that needs more power than you have available.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

Wait, why not for cookies?

Same reason it's bad* for cakes, souffles, custards, and quick breads. The air circulation makes the outside cook before the inside gets heated through. If you take a standard cookie recipe and put it in a convection oven at the same temperature, it won't spread as much, the edges and top will be browner, and the center won't be done before the edges are threatening to burn. A quick bread will have the outer surfaces set before the inside can rise properly.

*without proper adjustment.

Now I really want to make cookies and it's like a billion degrees outside so I can't.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

Canuck-Errant posted:

Panasonic FlashXpress.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

Queen Victorian posted:

Dishwasher is DEFINITELY planned, as we do not have one currently and it sucks a lot. We haven't ordered it yet...

Please order it now and do not begin demo until you have it on premises. It is exceedingly difficult to find good ones right now unless you aren't looking for a good one or live in some fortunate areas.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

I got these long long mans from Home Depot. I couldn't find many other options at that size/price. My two criticisms are that the points aren't beveled, so it's tough to get vegetables on without cutting a pilot hole, and that the wooden handles are flush with the metal so if you grab them wrong they can be spicy. They also make a 17 inch size.

I prefer flat to round because cooking over high heat gets really difficult when you can't flip the food reliably. It makes smaller chunks tougher to deal with. I really do need to try kofta on them someday; they're basically made for it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

I will always recommend the Panasonic FlashXpress if your use cases support it. It is small but mighty. If you want a supplemental or replacement oven go with the Breville.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

My grandmother's oven had convection in it. I want something new.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

There's an All-Clad sale going on that's better than their normal ones, and the 2-qt saucepan is on sale for $90. It's my very favorite pan ever and I use mine constantly. They have a more expensive one with packaging damage for $110.

And yes, that's really All-Clad's actual (outlet) website. Give it a burner email.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

The friend who cooked our Friendsgiving turkey used a Meater and I was very impressed. It predicted the carryover effect perfectly and directed us to pull it way earlier than I would have otherwise. Light and dark meat were both excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

DontMindMe posted:

I recently just had my kitchen completely remodeled, and was looking at possibly getting a new set of pots and pans.

Is All-Clad sets still recommended? Or is the first page a bit out of date at this point?

All-Clad still makes good cookware, yes. You don't need D5 or whatever, their basic stuff is what they built their reputation on. The main difference now is there are several viable competitors. Tramontina, Made In, and Goldilocks all get in the ballpark and are often more affordable.

All-Clad has an outlet store that looks like a scam, but they have monthly sales and seconds: https://homeandcooksales.com/