Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Re: KitchenAid plastic gears.

KitchenAid uses plastic gears in the most likely to jam areas so you only break a gear, not the whole mixer. Older models used softer lead gears, and the pro models do as well. Even Hobart, who we all recognize as the end all be all of commercial kitchen equipment, uses lead gears to prevent motor burnout. Replacing a few gears costs :10bux:, or in the case of a Hobart $200, but that's so much better than a new KitchenAid($3-600) or a new Hobart($15-50k).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Fo3 posted:

Then you get chilli in everything.

I'm failing to see the problem.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

And I know this a triple post, but, as far as restaurant pans we use cheap single ply aluminum, the highest end Vollrath nonstick, and a lot of cast iron or carbon steel.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

No, you want to find one of these.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Get a Vollrath. You can never go wrong with commercial quality kitchen equipment.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

San Jamar boards are good. They last 2-3 years in a commercial kitchen, and are fairly cheap. I(and the health dept) also like the grips on the board, no need for a wet towel to anchor it.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

You could just brine your drat turkey, cook it at 225F for 3-4 hours, and turn on the broiler to crisp the skin. Or go ahead and do fidgety nonsense, granted spatchcocking AND brining is the proper way to go.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

That is a stupid article. Nobody brines with just salt. You brine with aromatics, beer, sugar, molasses, etc. You want your turkey to taste amazing? Wet brine it in Guinness, 5% salt, pickling spice, and a bit of brown sugar.

You want a lovely moist turkey? Just use a 5% salt solution.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

DARPA Dad posted:

A dry brine isn't a "solution" at all. It's basically just a rub-down with salt, pepper and whatever other spices you want followed by a nice long rest in the fridge

Please explain to me how you'll get the flavor of dry juniper into a turkey with just salt, thanks.

I'f you'd read the article, his "brine" was JUST salt. No aromatics, citrus, spices, etc. That's loving stupid. Nobody brines with JUST salt.

e: and just so we're clear, he only used a 5% salt BRINE solution. Dry brine is a stupid term, you're just salting it prior to cooking.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

SubG posted:

Just apply non-salt flavourings as a rub/mop before cooking. Adding them to the brine usually won't hurt, but you're not actually accomplishing anything apart from covering the surface with them anyway.

That isn't really how that works, but okay. Always boil, and chill your brine. If I coat things in peppercorn and salt before cooking, they won't taste like pepper, dude.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Carbon steel pans are the correct answer to what should I cook everything in.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Use a 1 or 2oz ladle with a chinois, it's much faster. And no, a fine mesh food mill does not exist afaik.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Al2001 posted:

I'm looking for a 3-4" kitchen knife for my sister for Christmas. She specifically requested that size (so that's a paring knife I suppose?) and she'd prefer a wooden handle for some reason. Any recommendations? I'm looking to spend like £30ish (~$45.)

Tojiro DP petty, 120mm or 150mm for good performance and low maintenance, Tojiro shirogami petty in 150mm for best performance, but it needs a little more care, as it can rust.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

They'll both smooth out over time, I'd go with the Imusa.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Is that a "no" on the vertical smokers?

Got a price range? These are pretty good, otherwise, you could build a terracotta smoker for ~60bux.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

We really should get a mod to close the other thread if this is now the official one.

Anyway...

Anyone have a rec for a food dehydrator? I want to make some jerky. I do not want to use a bunch of air filters and a box fan.

Got my dad this one last year. Has a no heat setting, which is good for proper beef jerky.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

At work I buy everything through Southern Style Spices. Think they have a website, and pretty sure they do home delivery.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Get a commercial cutter

Yeah, it's $55, but all those cheap plastic things on amazon will just break after a few months. Your other option would be a good mandoline, but that's even more expensive.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Mr. Wookums posted:

Going to replace my flatware, glasses and dishes. Any suggestions before I look for something pretty?

http://www.corbyhall.com/

If you can afford it.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

After some deliberation I think I'll just get a bron mandoline instead

That is a perfectly adequate solution.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Get a kitchen aid. Unless you're going to make bread once a week in which case get the bosch universal mixer.

If you're making bread very often, I'd recommend a Hobart. Hobart's drat near never break, and when they do, the price is reasonable.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Just get a pro model kitchenaid, they're the same as the commercial model. Don't get an Artisan.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

mindphlux posted:

my MAC knives I continually enjoy, I have a shun paring knife that I feel fits the bill better than any wusthof or whatever other paring knife I've used - I have some cheap chinese cleavers which I'm sure I'd still love 700% more than a CCK cleaver if I ever were to spend the money.

Conversely, I've used many cheap chinese cleavers, and prefer my CCK. That said, I bought my CCK back when they were still cheap at 30bux.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

It wouldn't be a problem but holy poo poo this whole gimmicky one-pot pasta thing needs to go away already. I'm not sure if my opinion is going to be unpopular here but there is no reason to lose precise control over the cooking of the pasta (by having it in it's own pot) just to have it in the same container as the other ingredients. If you want to flavor your pasta you can do that with stock and still get perfect pasta when you rehydrate it at the end with the sauce.

Nothing wrong with single pan pasta. Didn't watch the vid, and maybe they did it wrong, but the stuff you 'know' about pasta is probably wrong anyways.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

In this order: Matfer, Vollrath, Lodge.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Kitchenaid whip or paddle

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

guppy posted:

If anyone is sale-watching for a KitchenAid stand mixer, if you have Amazon Prime, it looks like the 6-quart pro bowl lift model is $249 on Amazon today only as part of Prime Day.

EDIT: It looks like they're doing that dumb flash deal thing so it may not be all day -- get on it fast if you want it.

This also seems like a pretty good deal on a 6qt pressure cooker. It can hit 15PSI, which I understand is pretty desirable for quick stock making.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

fuckwolf posted:

Anyone have any experience with the reconditioned baking steels? They're basically factory seconds. The only thing that would worry me is if they don't lie flat.

https://shop.bakingsteel.com/collections/griddles/products/certified-reconditioned-steels

They'll probably be flat, just have random pock marks and the like.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Horse Clocks posted:

More likely Costco wanted its wholesale price to be lower than the standard model. They're probably more quiet due to different (and probably not as hard wearing) plastics gearbox.

No, they're the same as Commerical models. Lead gears that strip instead of destroying the motor.

Ask me about that time I found out Hobart manufactures their floor mixers with lead gears, and no you can't mix 50lbs of chesnut cookie dough in there.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Squashy Nipples posted:

Tell me.

I'm trying to imagine what that might sound like, and I'm failing.

Really loud crack, like stone breaking, paddle stopped moving, and it just sounded like someone grinding sand.

Fully replacing the gearbox cost $800. A new motor would have been impossible, as I've got one of the old, old models that lack any safety features, i.e., the really good ones. So I would have ended up buying a new Hobart if the motor had fried.

This is a 60qt bowl, I can only imagine what the 140qt would sound like.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Croatoan posted:

So only the artisan ones have the stupid nylon and plastic gears? I thought even the pro uses the nylon ones.

There was a point where the Pro was using plastic gears, I think that was about 10 years ago? My Pro 500, which is about 7 years old, uses the soft steel/lead gears.

Artisans are the trash mixers though, if you'd be using it remotely often, expect stripped gears.

e: I had to replace this piece last year, which I'd say is right in line with commercial models. If you mix a lot of pizza dough and the like, it will have an effect on gear life.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 3, 2016

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

mindphlux posted:

holy poo poo

the artisan is already too fuckin small and underpowered for a mixer. we have one and I have stripped 3 gears on it, somehow broken the plastic bits that cover the speed knobs, and also somehow made it so that the head-lock comes undone after 2-3 minutes of use. motherfucker sits there bouncing around on the counter every time I use it. and I definitely don't use ours more than once a week, for sure.

I guess some people might just want a thing in their kitchen that makes it look like they cook or something, and be ok with paying $300 bucks for the privilege...

Why haven't you replaced that thing with a Pro series?

The Artisan is literal trash, no offense, and I don't really know why it exists. I blame Hobart for selling the KitchenAid brand.

To be fair, KitchenAid Commercial and Pro are NSF rated, so you should be good to go, and be able to treat them like tools, not a kitchen decoration/appliance.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Why you all don't cook your bacon in the oven baffles me.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Thoht posted:

I'm not going to heat my oven up just to cook a couple pieces of loving bacon.

You cook the whole package, and reheat in a pan later. You also get perfect bacon every time.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

The new WiFi and Bluetooth Anova is on Amazon for $169 right now.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Flaggy posted:

My googling must be off, I can't find the attachment for a bowl with a bowl lift. I have the bowl lift and would kill for an attachment that helps add ingredients. Any help?

Pour shield is what you're thinking of. Make sure you find the right one for your model KitchenAid.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Harveygod posted:

My wife does a lot of cake/cupcake decorating (not really professional, more for family/friends but sometimes gets some money for it). She has some interest in getting an airbrush.

She saw this one for $64 that interested her. I literally don't know anything about kitchen equipment, but the "Cake Boss" branding makes me think it sucks. I saw another cheap one ($90) from "Tyrellex".

Any thoughts? I suspect that for under $100 she won't get a great one, but she won't use it very often anyway.

This Master Pro is good. Bakery used one at my old hotel.

Same brand, cheaper. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles. If you're gonna airbrush cakes, you want all the bells and whistles.

e: The Cake Boss guy uses a $900 Iwata model, no way he'd use his own poo poo :V

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

bartlebee posted:

My GIRLFRIEND has gotten a hard-on for the soups we've been cooking recently and wants to invest in a stick/immersion blender. She's looking at this model: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G3LJB14/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_e47eyb96QKXRW

Any critiques on what to look for or if this one's any good? The only thing I remember y'all talking about was making sure the motor was any good so that it didn't burn out. The link in the OP is dead, but I'm assuming it's this one. https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CSB-75BC-Blender-Brushed-Chrome/dp/B00ARQVM5O

Please advise, goons; the future of my relationship hangs on the integrity of my tomato basil soup!!!!!

Thanks in advance.

Get the cuisinart. They usually last 2-3 years, and survive in a commercial kitchen for a year or so. At $30-40, they're one of the best pieces of "disposable" equipment I own.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Amazon deal today is a solid set of saucepans, sautee pans, and a stock pot for $200. All tri-ply too. http://amzn.to/2fyXxbx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Commercial models usually have replaceable irons, which is cheaper in the long run.