Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

agreed that if you don't bake bread, mill flour, or grind meat you should probably just get a KA, but don't expect to ever knead bread in it. You'll kill the poor thing.

That's just not true at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

my turn in the barrel posted:

Entry level are the KA classic model $180 at walmart.

Eh, pretty much anything that isn't a Pro or Commercial is entry level. The Artisan may look nice, but it isn't worth the $279 you pay for it. Pros are just consumer branded Commercial 5qt and 6qt models.

Commercial tabletop KitchenAids can take a beating. The one at work hardly gets used anymore since we bought a 20qt Hobart, but it still works for small stuff despite an insane amount of wobble and sounding like its been screaming it's death knell for years now.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

As long as it works(lol, those things never break) 500bux is a killer deal on a mixer that would be $3-5k new.

e: Hell, that's all I'm missing to have a full set of commercial kitchen equipment at home. I've already got a 3.5qt Robot Coupe.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Just get the pasta roller set. It's as good as a hand crank table model, if not better.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Cuisinart 8 piece tri-ply is Amazon's deal of the day

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

If you're gonna spend that kind of money on a toaster, get a Hatco or Waring Pro.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Electric smokers are fine, but I'd check with your condo to make sure they're allowed.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

A robot coupe can get things just as smooth as a Vitamix. But then we're talking about a $1300 food processor.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Pro, always Pro. Artisans will not last because tilt head is an awful design.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Woot has an immersion circulator on sale today.

The bad news is I've never heard of the brand. The good new is it's $69 shipped. Nice.

http://www.woot.com/category/home?ref=w_gh_hm_2

They're $80 on Amazon

But IC technology is getting so mainstream that it probably uses Anova innards, so yeah, probably a good buy. poo poo, even commercial circulators can be got for $2-300 these days.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Nishiki is probably the best sushi rice available in the US. Calrose is also good, but I find you need to wash it more.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I should start scamming people into buying the equivalent of a Victorinox for $300+. Just slap a fancy looking handle on it, and laser etch some random kanji on the blade.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Elizabethan Error posted:

you can't really recreate the grind you'll get with a mortar/pestle in a food processor. I realize this sounds like cooking nerd :circlefap: , but you can't get the same consistency or flavor profile

The robot coupe serrated blade is actually perfect for getting that paste consistency.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Elizabethan Error posted:

a mortar and pestle doesn't cost >500$

Some of us have robot coupes laying around :shrug:

Besides, all I was pointing out is that it's possible to get the consistency. Plenty of cheaper food processors have serrated blades.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah, a half or full size sheet pan with a wire rack is all you need. Commercial kitchens hardly even use roasting pans.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Feenix posted:

I won't lie, I didn't understand what an immersion circulator is or what it did before I found out... but it made sense once I knew.

I can't wrap my head around what this oven does special... or if it's just like " this oven is really accurate unlike old oven technology!"

It's like a home version of a Rational or Alto-Sham.

e: But its really small, so I'm not really sure how useful it would be? Looks like a toaster oven.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 11, 2017

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Invisible Ted posted:

How do y'all organize your tupperware? My tupperware cabinet is a total poo poo show and I don't know how to keep it organized. I have a bunch of mismatched, non-stacking containers, and I'm wondering how to organize it in a way that makes it easy to stay neat, because I can pull everything out once a month to restack and poo poo, but I really don't want to.

Just use commercial deli containters. They come in 8/16/32oz, the lids are interchangeable, and they stack, are dishwasher, microwave, and freezer safe, and way cheaper than that crap at the store.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Croatoan posted:

No one is a big enough nerd to want a centrifuge. Do you know anyone that is that big of a nerd?

Even I don't care about a centrifuge.

Doubt I would even bother with one for work.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Is the meat grinder for the KitchenAid Pro 600 any good? Looking at it on Amazon, it says it's made of plastic, which makes me weary.

It works just fine. The sausage stuffer sucks though. Buy a piston sausage stuffer if you want to make sausage.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

How useful is a food processor anyway,. it seems it'll be useful for making pie dough, something I have issues with getting right tbh. But I've never owned one and I don't like having loads of crap I don't use.

Stand mixers have got to be the worst. I got like one stand blender years ago, then I got an attachment for my kenwood dough mixer/assistant, then I was gifted one for Christmas, then my SO bought one for some reason. And now the kenwood processor I am looking at (FPM125) comes with a blender too. I hardly ever use a blender, the one blender I do use is an immersion stick blender and it's broken :(

Food processors are great for making stuff like hummus, pates, etc. Also good for emulsified sausages, or coarse grinds.

Stand mixers are great, so idk what you're on about there. Unless you mean blenders? But then that comes to buying a good brand like Vitamix or Blendtec, or even the cheaper Ninja or a Breville.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Saw a VitaPrep in the Goodwill auction starting at $20, bet I end up getting it for less than $100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Cuisinart Multi-Clad 8pc is the Amazon deal of the day. At $140 its a pretty good deal for tri-ply.