Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Does kitchen equipment also cover dining plates?

I have been using the same cheap white plates now for 15 years since I moved into my first own flat and I don't like them very much, especially when entertaining guests. I've got some nicer stoneware stuff, but I'm just missing plain white plates that don't look like trash, but are also robust enough to not break with everyday use.

After looking around a bit my favorite so far is this Villeroy & Boch set

Is bone porcelain actually worth it (besides the ethical considerations)? And is that stuff durable enough for everyday use? At 35€ per plate I would be a bit annoyed if they got chipped from just throwing them in the dishwasher. I'm not really worried about dropping them, just normal handling.

Any other (euro) brand or material recommendations are also welcome. I'm not set on anything yet, as long as it's a bit more fancy than Ikea plates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

hypnophant posted:

Yes and yes. Bone ash strengthens the porcelain, allowing for a lighter piece which is less likely to be damaged from regular handling, and IME also less likely to chip. It’s almost always more durable than stoneware. Wirecutter has a helpful writeup, in addition to their usual suggestions. I have plates and bowls from the BBBY fitz & floyd brand, a previous recommendation, which I’ve been happy with, though I don’t know about euro availability.

Thanks for the link. That's exactly what I was looking for and cinders a bunch of things i didn't even consider.

I do like those Crate and Barrel plates, but unfortunately they don't do business in Germany. I can get Corelle, but their stuff is so light that it feels cheap to me. Plates gotta at least have a little bit of weight. Same for cutlery. Having a light fork or knife feels terrible.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

I’ve asked if she’s taking on new customers, waiting to hear back

In the meantime, a very positive Made In carbon steel pan review:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7221564270419381546

Is there any reason to get the Made In pan for 170€ of you can get the same size DeBuyer with a similarly fancy handle for 70€ or if you are fine with a straight handle for 50€? Seems very expensive for a carbon steel pan.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

OldSenileGuy posted:

Recently I’ve noticed that my instant read thermometer (some cheap one I got off Amazon years ago) is giving me wildly different readings only minutes apart from each other. I think it’s time for a new one.

I looked on Amazon for a new one, but it seems to all be the same rebranded Chinese no name models that are probably going to have the same issue.

After a bit of research, the Thermapen sounds like the one to get. It’s 80 bucks which is a lot for a thermometer, but if it’s both A) as accurate and B) as long lasting as it claims to be, I don’t have a problem spending that.

My only hesitation is that I’d love to get one that has its own built-in probe AND a wired probe that can stay in the meat in the oven/smoker/BBQ.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

If you got the money people seem to be liking the new Chris Young thermometer for all applications where you can leave it in the meat (and you can just leave it in your steak in a pan as well).

https://combustion.inc/products/predictive-thermometer-and-display

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

Doom Rooster posted:

Not a link, but this is the tomato soup I made and it came out great.

1 28oz + 1 14oz ounce can whole, peeled tomatoes
1/4 small onion
1 garlic clove
1/3 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary (about 8 leaves)
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1tsp chicken bouillion
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2tsp garlic salt
1Tbsp salt (diamond crystal, reduce by half for Morton or table salt)
pepper to taste
1/3 cup heavy cream

Throw in everything except the cream. Start medium to chop the onion, then blend on high until cooked. Took a batch this big about 12 minutes. It temped at 199f

Add the cream and blend on low just long enough to incorporate. Taste for seasoning.

Edit: if you don’t have/want to deal with the fresh herbs, I’d do 1/2tsp dried oregano.

You throw all the ingredients in cold and let it heat up through the energy from the blending process? Never heard of that before, but that's pretty cool.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

FaradayCage posted:

What are our thoughts on pepper grinders?

I've noticed the twist ones can be killer on the wrist some times. The lever ones solve this, but they're janky and they do break eventually.

I assume you can't really improve on the giant wooden tower in terms of longevity.

Has anyone looked into electrics? Or is there a grinder you have that stands out for some reason?

In particular I have a small wooden one that has always bugged me because it needs refilling so often. I've taken to using it as a dining table grinder.

While there are no good lever pepper mills, there are definitely good lever coffee grinders that will do just fine for pepper. Something cheapish like a Kingrinder or Timemore would be more than good enough. Or just get something no name from Amazon if you don't care about consistency that much.

Zarin posted:

I really just want a pepper grinder that is well-suited to being chucked up on a drill for when I want something automated.

I tried several from Amazon but nothing seemed to fit the bill very well.

I'm sure there's something out there, but I haven't found it quite yet.

Kingrinder is definitely drill compatible. It's even in their marketing.

Eezee fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 6, 2023

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

Kuhn Rikon makes one that I find the most enjoyable to use. It is however made of cheap plastic and the blade is not stainless steel, so it rusts if you leave it wet. The extremely sharp blade makes up for that though. And its 5eur here. There are probably cheaper sources than Amazon in the US.

https://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-2781-Original-4-Inch/dp/B000H7O3QS/?th=1

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

meefistopheles posted:

I'm working on putting together a whole new kitchen and I need a little advice. Are there any must have features for either an induction cooktop or a dishwasher? I know someone earlier was singing the praises of Bosch dishwashers.

Bosch appliances are all good. They have very nice ovens and cooktops as well.

Otherwise a small feature that I have come to really appreciate is having the garbage in a drawer directly under my workstation, so I can just sweep in all the trash. I dont really know where the trash in US kitchen normally is, but in Germany its most often under the sink, which isn't really super practical.

Not mine, but similar:

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

Eeyo posted:

Favorite immersion blenders? I got a cheap one a long time ago and it sounds like it's got a bunch of gravel in the motor or something. Mostly works but I'd like something a bit smoother.

Bamix or Esge if you are in Europe has great build quality and works well for all my needs. If you want kale smoothies or blend other super fibrous things on the regular, it's not the best though (just get a proper blender at that point though).

Also after mentioning the Kuhn Rikon peeler here a couple of weeks ago and mine starting to rust again, I decided to try out a different one and its surprisingly really good.

https://www.amazon.com/Lurch-Germany-Universal-Peeler-Black/dp/B003AU5RF0/

Minimal design, very sturdy compared to the Kuhn one and most importantly a very sharp blade. I cannot tell how long the blade will last, but so far I would highly recommend it.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

If you got the money, it's probably this one https://www.principlefaucets.com/

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

Since you are in the UK you should look at Demeyere as well. Shouldnt be more expensive than the Made In and is generally considered to be extremely high quality. Also they use welds instead of rivets, which is always a huge plus for me.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

Aramoro posted:

I'm looking for a new stick blender, does anyone have any good recommendations for one that's available in the UK?

Bamix should be available in the UK, but they are pretty expensive. If you want a cheap one, I used a Braun for years and it was fine.

Eezee fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Oct 24, 2023

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

Is the Thermapen actually worth the 80€? Seems like a lot for a thermometer.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

Frank Dillinger posted:

Thermapens are so good and fast that you can see the various temperature gradients in the meat you’re cooking as you push it in. 100% would spend the money on another one the moment mine breaks.

If I was rich I would get this one for that specific purpose
https://combustion.inc/products/predictive-thermometer-and-display

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

The Oxo one with the pull out display should accommodate most large bowls. The kd8000 seems way too big unless you never move it.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

CrushGrind Kyoto for the table as something that looks a bit more modern than the Peugeot grinders and I've completely switched to an old manual coffee grinder for the kitchen. The coffee grinder allows you to get both small and large amounts of pepper with minimal effort with a very consistent grind size.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

Can the air circulate properly with the parchment paper?

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

Is Bosch also not available in the US? They are a much bigger brand than Neff and I'm very happy with my higher end Bosch range, oven and dishwasher.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

Huh, just took a look at Canadian best buy and those prices are insane. Not only is everything at least 4 times as expensive, the few cooktops they actually sell have a lot less features than the ones available in Germany. You can't even use a griddle on any of them :psyduck:

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

If you just want to use them once on a while get a portable gas burners, or easier but less efficient, one of those induction converter discs. They are just stainless steel plates you can put under your non-magnetic pot. The disc heats up which then heats your pot.

Those are way less efficient than using actual induction compatible cookware though. If you still want to regularly use your ceramic pots don't bother with induction imho.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

Does anyone still use stovetop pressure cookers and have a recommendation? I don't see the electric variant really adding anything (besides bulk), so I'm thinking about going the low tech route.

So far the brands I have on my radar are Kuhn Rikon and Fissler.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

By closed-system you mean steam only escaping when the pressure gets way too high instead of some escaping constantly?

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My reasons behind getting a stovetop one are that my induction stove is much more powerful than the heating element in an instant pot, so I can actually brown some meat in it before making a stock. it eliminates another point of failure by not having electronics that could break in a couple of years.

And having able to use it as a normal pot is also a nice bonus.

Do you mostly like the electronic version because it's even more hands off to the point of putting it on and walking away or are there any other killer features?

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

Update on the stovetop pressure cooker I asked about: I got a Fissler, since I got a good deal and it's also non-venting/closed-system.
Looking at the manual it only vents steam when you exceed the optimal pressure, but the pressure where steam starts to escape on this one is lower than the pressure required for the Kuhn one to start venting.

I don't think there is much practical difference if your stove can keep the exact temperature required for optimal pressure. If that is too much trouble the Kuhn one will probably be easier to run without losing flavor from escaping steam. (Or just get an electric one)

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

tonedef131 posted:

My Fissler has a pop up knob with two white bands on it. The second one is 15psi and it always is raised to that level before it begins to vent. What pressure were you hoping to achieve?

Ok, mine works a bit different. It has a dial to put in target pressure and then the pop up thing is yellow, green or red of the pressure is too low, ideal or too high respectively. It only starts venting when it turns red, so exceeding target pressure. It was claimed earlier in the thread that all stovetop pressure cookers besides the Kuhn are already venting at target pressure.
The new Fissler ones have their target pressure at 11 psi and start venting above that though, so that's a 5C difference in temperature. I might need to adjust cooking time of recipes a bit if they are written for 15psi.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I don't think you necessarily lose flavor from escaping steam. If anything sometimes it increases flavor by reducing the liquid inside and thus concentrating the flavor into a smaller volume.

I am going entirely by the Dave Arnold argument that Steve Yun mentioned. It might just be volatile flavors that I couldn't make out anyway.
https://cookingissues.com/2009/11/22/pressure-cooked-stocks-we-got-schooled/

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

Nephzinho posted:

Might not be what you want to do but I tend to just freeze herbs in a little oil or just make pesto rather than dehydrate excess herbs. Always found dehydrating to kill the flavor.

Vacuum sealing and freezing also works well if you don't want them frozen in oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

Wok cooking will suck just as much as on any other electric hob, since there is no direct heating of the sides. I still do it with a flat bottomed wok and some help from a gas burner.
It's a big upgrade over normal electric coils and the heating is just as responsive as cooking with gas. In "boost" mode my range puts out 3.7kw which I only use for heating up water or preheat a pan, since anything else would burn way too quick.