Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
one million seven hundred fifty loving thousand yoo ess dollars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Restaurant Depot recently opened up to the public yeah

The one I went to you had to ask for yeast at the register tho, and you could only buy one unit

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Anyone have recommendations for a pain de mie pan?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

They said they wanted an alternative because it's expensive but they one you linked is even pricier, isn't it

e: OP OXO has a scale that's half the price of the first search result which seems to be about the same thing? Unless this is what you were talking about when you said it was too expensive in which case I dunno of any good kitchen scales in a similar price range

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 5, 2020

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

eke out posted:

you really don't have to be like that

Be like what?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Anyone got recs for a good whetstone to get as a moderately nice gift (~$100)? Doesn't have to be ridiculously high grit or anything, but would be the only whetstone in the house.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

You aren't mistaken, and yeah that completely slipped my mind. A combo stone might work well, or maybe two stones could be good. I'll try and look into the other accessories you mentioned.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

My girlfriend's roommate has one of those and every time I've used it it's been terrible, and I've used it a lot because I was convinced it had to be worth its price tag and I was just somehow getting it wrong

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

A long time ago I bought a wired oven thermometer and recently started using it. First two times I used it for steak and pork chops, worked beautifully. Today I was roasting a chicken, stuck it in the deepest part of breast, shoved it in and 20 seconds later it's beeping its head off. The temperature seems to fluctuate wildly between the internal temp of the chicken and what I can only assume is the ambient temperature of the oven (~400F). Am I messing this seemingly simple procedure up somehow or is it broken?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I had that thought as well so I tried repositioning the needle multiple times, no dice.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

You can make more rice because rice freezes beautifully

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

My KA pasta roller fucks with my pasta for some reason, tears it like hell. The Atlas works much better even if it requires elbow grease. I don't quite understand it since afaict it's the same mechanism, just one is powered by a motor, but there you have it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

what do goons think of hexclad? seems like an interesting approach to nonstick. or maybe bullshit? idk

Dude I know had one of those pans and it was super annoying to cook with. Even brand new it felt like the worst parts of stainless and nonstick put together.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Any good recs for wooden cutting boards? My current plastic one just isn't up to the task. Budget of ~200 but would like to keep costs down if possible.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

It's a cool island but I feel like a gap in the center to be able to walk through would be my preference

Thanks for the board recs peeps, I'll keep looking around and also check out the SA mart thread

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

My zojirushi rice cooker has been having an off and on problem for like a year now where the gasket won't fully seal and all the moisture condenses and leaks out of the lid, leaving me with crackers instead of rice. Anyone have any tips on how to DIY fix or replace this without having to buy a whole new cooker?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I have a bunch of suet left over from a recipe my gf wanted to make. I also recently bought a wok. Would it be a terrible idea to want to use up this suet by seasoning the wok with it?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

https://twitter.com/katsukitomohiro/status/1398594590693748738

drat this home stovetop looks great

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Maybe my kitchenaid roller is busted or my recipe is (I use the one from SeriousEats) but my dough tears using the kitchenaid attachment when it never had such problems with my hand cranked Atlas.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

My friend just installed a new oven and these controls are certainly A Thing.

Any guesses on what the difference is between Bake With a Fan (I assume this is convection) and Air Fry?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

My counters are currently poo poo (tiled for some godawful reason) and I'm not in the position to change them. What's a good table that's easy to clean and sturdy enough to knead dough/do other food prep on? Doesn't need to be easily portable but it would be a plus.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Thinking something like 6 by 3 feet or so, maybe a bit smaller. Not very picky about the dimensions but somewhere thereabouts sounds about right.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I was gifted an end grain cutting board a while back and I thought I was taking pretty good care of it but apparently not; there's a tiny crack where one of the wood blocks was glued to another. Is this fixable or will it slowly widen over time until it splits the board?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I have exercised poor impulse control and purchased an Anova oven. It seems really cool, except the beeps are a little loud. Is there no way to turn them off or at least lower the volume?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

On the Anova Precision Oven, how easy is the interface? Unlike the knobs on my Smartoven, and the Anova looks to be all touchscreen or something?

I quickly gave up on using the touchscreen but the companion app is very responsive, which was a pleasant surprise given my previous experience with the anova SV app which was pretty spotty.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I saw corner cabinet chat and had the thought, does anyone have advice on repurposing corner counter space? I've got two pretty deep counters and for now they're just housing appliances that I don't use often, but I can't help but think the space could be put to better use by someone more creative than me.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Speaking of ice cream, anyone got a good pecan ice cream recipe?

I just bought The Perfect Scoop so I'll roughly port over the pecan ice cream I found in it

Buttered Pecans:
25g butter
150g pecan halves
1/4 tsp coarse salt

1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Melt butter in skillet, remove from heat
3. Toss pecans in butter to coat, then sprinkle with salt
4. Spread evenly on a baking sheet and toast for 10~12 minutes, stirring once midway
5. Remove and let cool

Pecan Ice Cream:
70g butter
135g dark brown sugar
1/2 tsp coarse salt
500ml heavy cream
180ml whole milk
6 large egg yolks
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp scotch whisky
1 recipe Buttered Pecans

1. Melt butter in a pan, stir in brown sugar and salt and mix to combine. Whisk in 250ml of the cream and all of the milk
2. Return pan to low heat until warmed
3. Pour remaining cream into a bowl and set a mesh strainer on top
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg yolks, then slowly whisk in the butter/sugar/cream mixture until fully combined. Pour mixture back into the saucepan
5. Stir constantly over medium heat until it forms a custard that coats the spatula
6. Pour custard through the strainer into the cream bowl and stir to combine
7. Add vanilla and scotch
8. Chill mixture in fridge, then freeze
9. Make ice cream according to your machine's instructions, then mix in pecans at the last stage

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Anyone noticed the anova oven consistently underbaking conventional recipes? I use the top+bottom heat setting, no steam and no fan for recipes I find elsewhere, and it always seems like things come out underdone in the center. To date I've made chocolate chip cookies, a coffee cake from SE, and a batch of beer bread. All underdone to raw in the center. Am I using the wrong heat source setting?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Is there a reason the ninja creami says to freeze things for 24 hours instead of like, overnight? Do frozen things get somehow more frozen the longer they're frozen?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Cool, looking forward to the results!

In other creami research I found this reddit thread where the OP said you don't actually need to make a custard if you're using the creami, just whisk the egg yolks in and freeze: https://www.reddit.com/r/icecreamery/comments/sf0ysr/ninja_creami_experiment_7_is_a_custard_really/

I tried it the other day with a batch of matcha ice cream and it tastes delicious and the texture is great. In this specific case I probably should have made the custard anyway since matcha doesn't mix into cold liquid for poo poo, but it's nice to know for the future.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

The recipes recommended in the booklet that come with it are actually all for philly style. It was fine but definitely way icier than the kind I made with egg yolks.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

That sounds like something sus about the recipe or the way the machine works. Mine have never been icy. What's the cream/milk ratio?

For 1 pint:
1 tbsp cream cheese
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 cup whole milk

Whisk together the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla extract, then once smooth whisk in the liquids and pour into the container, freeze for 24 hours then give it a whizz.

SubG posted:

Yeah, for all the new ice cream lathe owners out there: do pacojet recipes work without modification in the new Ninja thing?

I don't know about the pacojet, but I've been doing recipes from The Perfect Scoop and they've all turned out amazing, so it doesn't seem to be like "you must only do creami-approved recipes" or anything. The pacojet recipes I see on their website are skewed a lot more toward milk than the ones I'm seeing in the book, granted.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Would raw egg also lack some structural/textural properties that cooked egg base would have?

Cause if so blood ice cream would also be out

I tried out the unheated egg yolks method outlined in the reddit post I linked a few days back and I agree with its conclusion that it's functionally indistinguishable.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Are hydroponic garden setups still a thing that people do, and if so does anyone have some recs?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

There seem to be a million different types of vitamix blender and my eyes are glazing over trying to tell them apart. Are there any stinkers or are they all largely the same outside of bells and whistles?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

bird with big dick posted:

I still love mine. And the wife loves it too, and she largely hates all the kitchen poo poo I buy and doesn't use it. Sounds like it'd be great for you given your circumstances/requirements.

I think that first guy with undercooked stuff should probably be using the rear element rather than the top and bottom. All the Anova baking recipes I've seen including cookies say middle element. It seems like top and bottom would make sense for what hes doing, but it's literally never what they recommend for baking out of the ten recipes or so I've seen.

I use the bottom element for low temp stuff (proofing, largely) and the middle for practically everything else.

That was me and I was going by Anova's own user guide for adapting conventional recipes:

fwiw I've done a bunch of other stuff since and it's been more or less fine. I'll try the rear element for stuff from now on.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Does anyone have experience filling in a juice gutter? My partner got me a nice cutting board as a surprise gift a while ago and it's been great except the juice gutter drives me crazy and accumulates all sorts of random scraps that are a pain to get out.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

The other side has these cute little peg feet that elevate it from the kitchen counter but absolutely prevent it from being used as a cutting board

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Wait, why not for cookies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Has anyone ever tried those little rollers you stick on the bottom of kitchen appliances to slide them around? They look tempting but when I think about it, almost all of my heavier kitchen appliances are things that I don't think I'd actually want easily moved. Like who knows what'd happen if I put wheels on a vitamix, it'd probably destroy the house or something