Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Some of them weren’t factory seconds but damaged packaging or discontinued models (the 6qt sauté pan, for example :rms:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

That 9” wok just looks like “grease fire: the product”

Like, even the stock photos have it used as just a bowl for bibimbap

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Also, I feel like this goes without saying, but you are going to want a really tall-walled and deep/wide sink if you are going to have a commercial sprayer.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Brick in aluminum foil

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I just bought a few pieces of the tramontina tri-ply made in Brazil and like them. I wish the lips were curved like my all-clad pieces, tho

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Since we are on coffee chat, is there a “best” style/brand/model of those pour over coffee drippers that look like a cone on top of a saucer? I don’t drink coffee, but my wife does, and I want to get her one to use for iced coffee, etc. I was going to get her a Chemex, but our house is crazy tiny and cabinet/counter space is incredibly limited.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

therobit posted:

The clever is good. So is the Haribo glass cone thing.

The clever one looks neat, but seems like it would be a bitch to hand wash effectively. Confirm/deny?

Also, I’m assuming you didn’t mean haribo the gummy bear company right?

E. Google showed me you meant Hario

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

xtal posted:

All of you eat a lot of rice

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Which plastic angle guides do you use? I’ve been doing it freehand but the guide would make it go a lot faster

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

You are missing the big picture here: agua Fresca all the time without the hassle of straining the watermelon/cantaloupe/melon

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Croatoan posted:

I'm also familiar with the Krups one and one thing to add I've always been warned, if you want to use it for coffee, get a dedicated one for coffee. Otherwise you'll get a coffee stank in your spices and vice versa.

Same thing for weed

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Hed posted:

KF. C. Slater

:golfclap:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Dishwasher can be efficient if you have a lot of people in the house and are going to run it every or every other day. In a house with just one or two people it can just be kind of overkill unless you are those people who use a new glass/plate for refills

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

hypnophant posted:

Speaking of outdated information, modern dishwashers use less water than hand washing even for fairly small loads. https://www.reviewed.com/dishwashers/features/please-stop-hand-washing-your-dishes

Like all statistics, you have to look at the methodology they use to get their results:

quote:

One cleaned using a basin of soapy water, while the other left the water running during the scrubbing and sponging.

What about third option; soap everything up w wet sponge and then rinse all at once? That’s what I do and it seems a lot more water-efficient than either filling up the basin or leaving the faucet running the whole time.

E. VVVDon’t want to continue the derail, but I will say my wife and I have gotten pretty good at using a single set of glasses, plates, and cutlery over the years in tiny apartments w/o dishwashers, so yes, but I understand the same isn’t true for everyone.

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 17, 2021

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

bartlebee posted:

Any suggestions for an approximately 10 inch nonstick pan for sauteeing and general cookery? I have a smaller caphalon I like but MY GIRLFRIEND wants a larger pan and hates cooking with my 12 inch cast iron.

Tramontina Professional Fusion Fry Pan, 10-Inch, Satin Finish, Made in USA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N8VUYT4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_pA4bGb6YECS88?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I think he’s just looking for the bags, not the vacuum unit itself

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Could you confine the cat to a room for a little bit while the stuff cools? I feel like no other option will outsmart a cat besides putting the cookies, etc. in a second, not in use, oven

E. Don’t put the cat in oven tho

E2. I feel like a cat would push a box off a counter just as easily as a rack, but other posters have potential solutions

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 1, 2021

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

thehandtruck posted:

Holy poo poo i do probly once a day. Also whats clad?

You should never wash a hot pan/cookware cause there is a risk of “thermal shock”; basically, the outer layer of the pan cool down much faster than the inner layers of the pan, which causes warping, etc (heat causes expansion, cold causes contraction). Same reason you wouldn’t run cold water over a hot glass dish

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I’d recommend you add a 10”-12” carbon steel skillet to that list. It’s kind of an-between of a cast iron pan and stainless steel pan and probably my overall “most used” item in the kitchen.

Also, get several good wooden spoons and a few silicone “spoonulas”. It’s nice to just be able to grab a clean spoon/spoonula when you need one.

E. The carbon steel would easily replace the “fry skillet” you mentioned, fyi

E2. I also have a little non-stick sauce pot (it’s a 1.5qt, I think) that I use a bunch when I’m reheating leftover tomato sauces (or more liquids dishes, like chili, curry, etc) just cause clean up is much faster.

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 17, 2021

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

This is sort of kitchen equipment related? I want to buy a work table for my kitchen to expand the counter space a bit. I do not want a stainless steel one. I would like something that basically looks like https://butcherblockco.com/product/clcowota but significantly cheaper. I don't need such a thick countertop. I'm basically looking for a countertop depth/height with a surface and two open shelves. There are many out there but I'm worried they won't be sturdy enough and the John Boos one looks sturdy as hell. A lot don't appear to be countertop depth either. Anyone get something similar that they like?

I have this thing by ikea as our kitchen island. It’s very sturdy and has held up for at least 3 years use with no sign of wear and tear.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/foerhoeja-kitchen-cart-birch-80035920/

E. Just saw you want two shelves, not just one. If you click the link, it will show you similar kitchen islands made of different materials and different dimension/shelves.

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 19, 2021

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

You’ll almost never go wrong with oxo imo. They make unitasker poo poo you don’t need for sure (avocado slicer), but most of the day to day stuff is solid

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

so what I’m getting is I should have a brick covered in tinfoil and a thinner brick covered in tinfoil

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Probably conversation-ender, too

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Yea, tramontina w/out inner rivets is the best

Tramontina Professional Fusion Fry Pan, 10-Inch, Satin Finish, Made in USA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N8VUYT4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_C41SQ96D50QHR9F302FV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

i know you mean this as a joke, but i am dead serious when i say i would gently caress and cum in that sludgy mass of carb, cheese, and tomato

Well now I’m game for a bite

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

If you have a pressure cooker you can use that too. I’ve eaten a lot more brown rice since cooking time went to 15 min from 45.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Pyrus Malus posted:

we just moved into a place with zero drawers in the kitchen. are there any good cutlery organization options that can be used over the counter, or is the pro play basically just "get one of the normal drawer cutlery organizers and put it on yr counter"??

You could get one of those standing steel dish racks that go over your kitchen sink, but just turn it into like a cutlery rack, etc.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I think the consensus was “brick of your chosen weight wrapped in tinfoil” last time it got brought up

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I. M. Gei posted:

:siren: Thermapen ONE is now available for preorder! :siren:

Reads in one second or less with more accuracy than the Mk4

Lmao they named the fifth Thermapen the XboxOneThermapenOne

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Lmao

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Murgos posted:

Man up, sharpen up a knife and learn to have a steady hand.

Maybe instead he could create a wooden jig that would make it easier to cut uniformly with a knife or just buy a manual meat slicer, but three pork bellies a week is going to be pretty time consuming, imo.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

It’s like those nature buffs who like show off by starting friction fires, but w liquids

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

i also store my "spices" in mason jars iykwim

I store my “herb” in a mason jar too

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I like winco’s fish spatula

New Winco FST-6 6.5-Inch Blade Fish Spatula https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01789ZOBU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_2PKMETPPT03APK5C927W

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Alternatively, buy a tiny nonstick pan just for a single fried egg. Its pretty convenient, tbh. I got a 5” nonstick off Amazon a few years ago for ~$7 that I use all the time for putting fried eggs on top of everything I eat

Eg. Gotham Steel Mini Egg and Omelet Pan with Ultra Nonstick Titanium & Ceramic Coating - 5.5", Dishwasher Safe, Stay Cool Handle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07876YC1K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_E700BX0C9V6S22AN1D7V

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Fair enough- I like more surface area for more crunchiness

E. I was actually able to find the exact one I bought, it was only 4.75”

T-fal Specialty Nonstick One Egg Wonder Fry Pan Cookware, 4.75-Inch, Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002HWRUGQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_KZ8JBXN5N1AEGKA27R0V?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Any particular recommendations re: pho bowls? Was thinking about just getting a set of 60oz melamine bowls, but didn’t know if anyone had any particular insights

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Le crueset Dutch oven? If you’re not paying for it, might as well get the nicest one

Same thing with a set of All-Clad d5 pots and pans.

A nice electric kettle (maybe even a goose neck) and a “real” Chemex (E. Sorry, the distinction is “hand blown”)

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 1, 2021

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

Thinking something like 6 by 3 feet or so, maybe a bit smaller. Not very picky about the dimensions but somewhere thereabouts sounds about right.

I had this previously and it was pretty good quality:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/foerhoeja-kitchen-cart-birch-80035920/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm mainly planning to use it to chop vegetables because I'm lazy as hell.

Honestly, unless you are cooking for a large party, it’s generally more work to clean it than just chop veggies yourself, imo. Still, it’s nice to have when you don’t feel like grating a whole block of cheese by hand, etc.