Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

VelociBacon posted:

Why not just a normal Coleman stove or a Weber Q series for an actual BBQ? If you don't need the BTU those wok burners put out I don't know if it's worthwhile.

My use case is a little weird and I'm trying to cost-effectively address a few needs. Basically, I used to grill a good deal, but I stopped eating meat other than on rare occasions a few years ago, so my main need for a grill now is generally searing veggies. At the same time, I regularly go on dirtbag car camping trips with friends (e.g., go surfing/skiing for the weekend and sleep in or around our cars, arrive the night before at trailhead for a backpacking trip, etc.), where it would be nice to have a grill/griddle for hotdogs, veggies, etc. Also, propane is nice from a travel/time perspective, personally, and thought it might be nice to have the outdoor wok burner for stir-fries or other high-smoke activities when at home, so could kill two birds with one stone.

A buddy of mine who I camp with regularly has a coleman double-eye propane camp stove, which is nice in the wind, but it's quite cramped when trying to actually use and the heat does leave something to be desired for searing veggies.

I looked at the Q series, but it's ~$250, and then I have to worry about cleaning it out before putting it back in the car (which I might be sleeping in if the weather turns poor); cleaning/storing the cast iron would be much quicker/easier imo.

I looked at the Weber Go Anywhere Propane, but reviews are middling and, again, seems like it would be some work to clean out before being able to throw in the back of the car and head to next spot.

Haven't committed to anything; just trying to see if my cheapskate idea would be viable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

The best plastic wrap is a cheap one, stretch-tite

This is also my personal favorite. The glad press-n-seal is also good for certain situations, but stretch-tite is my workhorse

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Whoever buys the remnants, bring back the old borosilicate formula, plz

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Still can if you’re in the right State

E. https://www.pigglywiggly.com/store-locations/

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I don’t even like using metal on my cast iron

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

mystes posted:

bacteria cultures maybe

:master:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

For non-dipping olive oil eg cooking, salad dressing) , I like the Trader Joe’s 100% kalamata olive oil that comes in a tall rectangular bottle, but it’s been in and out of stock since the start of the pandemic so ymmv

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Eezee posted:

Kuhn Rikon makes one that I find the most enjoyable to use. It is however made of cheap plastic and the blade is not stainless steel, so it rusts if you leave it wet. The extremely sharp blade makes up for that though. And its 5eur here. There are probably cheaper sources than Amazon in the US.

https://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-2781-Original-4-Inch/dp/B000H7O3QS/?th=1

I also use the and they are great but delicate and prone to rust if not wiped and put away immediately after use.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Like a animal

E. You piece of poo poo

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Veggie peelers are unitaskers I guess, but gently caress doing it w a knife

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I like this one cause no rivets

Tramontina PRO Fusion 10-Inch Aluminum Nonstick Fry Pan, 80114/516DS, Made in Brazil https://a.co/d/87602mU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

Anyone got recs for a small strainer, like drinking cup size to sift matcha through? Prefer the mesh to be as fine as possible (I can't seem to find specs on this on product pages?).

Try Finum brewing cups for super fine stuff like matcha

Finum Reusable Stainless Steel Coffee and Tea Infusing Mesh Brewing Basket, Medium, Black https://a.co/d/amqguWt

Different sizes/colors might be cheaper

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I feel like we just had kitchen scale chat a few pages ago but I can’t seem to find it.

I’m getting more into baking and my old scale is a little small for the largest of my mixing bowls and getting a little long in the tooth to boot. Top recs?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

IP white rice sucks, but it ain’t too bad at making brown rice (and is a pretty good effort/timesaver); 15 mins on high, then let release steam naturally. Nevertheless, I would imagine a dedicated rice cooker would nonetheless be better. IP is a jack of all trades (master of none, but better than a master of one).

Also, there was a crazy great deal on Vitamix 510 last night; $149 new from woot, fulfilled by Amazon. Any particularly good recipes people would recommend for a blender noob?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Eezee posted:

CrushGrind Kyoto

:eyepop:
Damnit, if I didn’t already have multiple pepper grinders I’d buy one

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Even if you only usually cook for yourself, at least 8 cup food processor imo

E. I’d say 14 cup is really what you should save up for tho; buy once cry once

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 15, 2024

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I don’t know if I’d chance radiation exposure, personally

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I also have the cuisinart electric kettle linked above, have used it for nearly a decade as our daily driver, and I have zero complaints and only good things to say about it. Would buy again for sure

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Best kitchen timer (besides my phone)?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I have some similar “nonstick” cooling racks that I occasionally use when broiling veggies. I’ve not had any issues with flaking, etc, but I’ve definitely accepted the fact that I’m getting cancer from something in this world, so I don’t know what I’m really saying here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Ive had the zeroll 12 (blue) for almost a decade now and I wish it was just a tiny bit smaller, so yea, I’d get the green, personally