Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I am considering buying a Rice Cooker and looking for something compact as I'm not going to be using it everyday. Seen good reviews for the Yum-Asia Panda rice cooker, anyone got any experience with them at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

380°F? That’s ridiculous

That's surely not right? Like I have a pan with a rubber handle that oven safe to that temp.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 14, 2020

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I would say always go for individual pans, big sets are going to just have a load of pans you're not going to use day to do. My essential pans are

non-stick milk pan
18cm saucepan
20cm saucepan
frying pan (oven safe)

That's going to do 90% of stuff, then add in

Lidded Saute pan
Pressure Cooker ( I have a big pasta pot as well but if I didn't I could always use my pressure cooker with the lid off my saute pan, and have done for some things)
Dutch Oven
Crepe Pan
Jam Pan (if you make jam)

You'll acquire loads of kitchen poo poo over the years, just buy a small number of really good pans.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

My view with rice cookers is that you should just get a pressure cooker like an instant pot because it does rice at least as good as a rice cooker and a shitload of other things.

I already have a stovetop pressure cooker so not looking too replace that anytime soon.

I've actually already gone and got the rice cooker and it's pretty good I think. It's very small which is ideal as I can put it in a cupboard. I'm usually making rice at least once a week but then I also make porridge almost everyday so might try that as well.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

I can definitely vouch for oatmeal/porridge being made in a rice cooker or pressure cooker. I recently started doing that for my breakfast and it is easily two times better than cooking some instant oatmeal in the microwave.

Generally I we do pinhead oatmeal soaked overnight, makes great porridge in the morning so just interested to try it out soaking overnight and using the timer to make it come on in the morning.

Just steamed some dumplings in it, was great.

I swear by my Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker but it's not great for small amounts like if I wanted 1/2 - 1 cup of rice for dinner.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

xtal posted:

All of you eat a lot of rice

That was what I was thinking to be honest. A cup of rice is a lot of rice.

Also cups are dumb.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Manager Hoyden posted:

It's one of those topics that's almost impossible to learn on your own these days due to people being torso-deep up their own rear end about it. People throw up their hands and say gently caress it because there is no place on the internet or in a book that says "these are the exact bare minimum materials you need and here is the exact technique a real person with a real schedule can do".

It's like coffee. There is always someone saying everything else is poo poo, no I will not say what the good version is, go educate yourself.

This pretty much. I sharpen my knives with a steel and its good enough for my purposes. I don't have time in my life for all the 'Well if you're not even using 2 different grits of whetstone is your knife even sharp?'

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

xtal posted:

A steel doesn't sharpen knives, it hones them :ssh:

A difference relevant to knife sharpening nerds.

Ironically perhaps I do sharpen my chisels on a whetstone, but I can't remember the last time I sharpened a knife.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Couple of years ago we got a new Bosch fridge that's really great actually. The various zones in the fridge hold thier temp well.

It is a UK sized fridge though, but I'm sure they must make an American sized one.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I've got a 1000w Kenwood Chef which I would recommend to anyone really. Doesn't look as smart as the kitchenaid one perhaps but it does the job really well. Got the blender and spice grinder as well. I've had it 10 years now, my sister has my grans Kenwood that's been going strong since the 60s.

Just make sure it's got metal gears not nylon ones, they have fewer problems in the long run. Especially if you want to be mixing a lot of stiff dough, get the most powerful one you can with metal gears.

Like this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-Chef-KVC3100W-Stand-Mixer/dp/B071L62RL5

One thing I would suggest though is getting the rubberised K beater as well which helps when mixing small amounts.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Nov 8, 2020

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I'm looking for a new stick blender, does anyone have any good recommendations for one that's available in the UK?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

unknown posted:

Thermapen's #1 feature is the speed of readings - it's the fastest available.

If you are willing to hold the probe in the meat for 5+ seconds, (vs the 2-3s), there's lots of cheaper options.

Accuracy of probes is basically the same across the board, most people don't leave them in the place long enough to stabilize the readings.

This might be a unpopular opinion but unless you're using it for fish I don't think you need the speed of a thermapen.

That said I have one and use it all the time.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

VictualSquid posted:

I got a Thermapen 10ish years ago for almost 100€ including shipping. Now it is breaking and I wish I had bought 10 cheap pens instead.

Anybody know a quick fix? It is no longer turning on reliably. I had to refold and unfold it several times to get it to turn on for over a year now. Recently it only works if I put pressure on the hinge part from the side, the on switch seems to be broken.

My old one did exactly that, my solution was to buy a new one when they went on sale. The old one still works if I fanny around with it so I use it to measure the temp of water I'm swimming in.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

FaradayCage posted:

On thermometer talk - I'm considering an infrared thermometer for cooking oil, my cast iron, and dicking around.

Any suggestions? Any features I should be aware of? Just right now I'm wondering if they (all or some) use a visible laser to show where you're reading. I also notice that unlike most kitchenry, they all seem to have the awkward shape of a phaser that got it's nose bitten off. Not quite sure where/how I'd store it.

I have one but it's just a cheap on off amazon, it works well enough and I just chuck it in my utensil drawer. It's was this one

https://amzn.eu/d/90R3Uca

But there are loads of identical ones on there. I've had it for years and it's worked great the whole time.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You absolutely need at least one Oxo Goodgrips slanted measuring cups (for liquids). Never squint sideways at a meniscus again!

I have one of these and I actually hate measuring in it, it's also a terrible pourer which is not a great trait for a jug. I usually love the oxo good grips stuff but these are a no for me

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Fascinating! I find that they pour much more neatly than my glass ones.

I'm not at home just now but I will demonstrate when I get home. My wife agrees with you but that's only when pouring a lot, when trying to pour a little it dribbles.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I have a Bosch fridge/freezer, it's been amazing.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Has anyone in the UK bought a waffle maker recently? My sister wants one for Christmas but I'm not sure what's good.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

This is going to sound awful but my preferred scales are the Joseph Joseph Tri folding ones. They're accurate enough for baking etc and they fold away so I can chuck them in a drawer. I had one set which broke so I just bought another one identical.

For coffee etc I have some cheapo dealer scales from amazon.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

BrianBoitano posted:

Favorite glass tupperware? Water tightness not required - I use ball jars for such items. Main criteria:

Stack well
Lids don't self destruct in 1-2 years
Not super heavy - some we had knocked around in the drawer and chipped each other

Kinda asking for a unicorn I know

E: I guess metal is fine too, 80% of my preference for glass is for longevity, only 20% is microwavability. Would be nice but not essential.

I've got the ikea ones, had them for a bit now and really liking them for storing stuff

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Doom Rooster posted:

SMDH if you’re not sending your can opener through an Autoclave after every use.

I bin mine and buy new ones each time, safer that way.

Also anyone got a recommendation for a circulation sous vide. I have a full machine one but it's huge and showing its age so I was thinking of replacing it with a circulation one.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

The IP makes decent rice but I don’t think the keep warm is great, I’ve had some stickier rice after leaving it a while. Also it’s a bit hard to predict timings when you’re waiting for the pressure to drop if you are doing slow release.

I’m UK based and when I was looking I came across these:

https://yum-asia.com/uk/product-category/rice-cookers/1-4-cup-capacity/

The Tsuki and Panda look like they will do everything you want.

I have the Panda one and it's great.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I have an AEG induction hob and it's frankly incredible. Mine was mid price, nothing fancy well below the price there. But it boils things incredibly quickly, very consistent for my pressure cooker. I can blast it up to 14 and make my wok insanely hot. I'm a. Complete convert to induction

Edit : looked it up and it was £400

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 28, 2023

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Doom Rooster posted:

Secondly, it’s perfectly flat, so it’s insanely easy to clean. Big flat glass tops look crazy dirty after just like, frying an egg. With no knobs to take off and clean, then clean around the knob hole/post, it’s just 10 seconds to spray and wipe to get it to looking showroom clean.

I love the touch controls on mine as well, i can directly choose the temp and it's so easy to clean. I feel physical knobs would be more fiddly and leave areas harder to clean and an ingress point into the hob. The fact the glass does not get too hot as well means I can wipe it down easily as I'm going.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I use an Inkbird controller and a seedling heatmat for my proofing drawer.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I have never worked out what kosher salt is, just not something we have in the UK. Now you're taking me there are multiple types of kosher salt?

I tried looking it up and the article on it said it didn't have iodine or dextrose in it like table salt, but table salt doesn't have iodine or dextrose in it.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jan 12, 2024

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

torgeaux posted:

It's a coarse salt used to draw blood out. Really, it should be called koshering salt. But, as you noticed, it's also got no additives. Mostly you'll see it as a large, sort of flat crystal instead of a small relatively round crystal.

I have done more Salt reading on the basis on my confusion so now I understand.

We have Table (Fine salty salt) , Rock (Course grains) and Sea Salt (Flakey, like Maldon)

As part of a health programme in the US you Iodized table salt to help prevent goiters. So then Kosher salt became popular, essentially as uniodized salt because it tastes weird.

Salt no longer needs to be Iodized in the US anymore as folk are eating a better diet in general but the preference for uniodized salt, i. e. Kosher salt remained.

I think the closest thing we have to Kosher salt will be rock salt, a course salt you would use for preserving etc.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

torgeaux posted:

Kosher salt is popular not for the lack of iodine, but because in prepping steak, for example, it's shape/size makes it better. Table salt is always available with or without iodine. I keep it for non-baking salt needs, and keep table salt for baking and in a salt shaker for the table. Some baking specify kosher salt as well. It's also better on a baked potato skin while baking.

I'm basing this on some articles I read. There was some great packaging of Kosher Gourmet Salt on the basis it tasted better which was fun.

Iodinzed salt helped increased the IQs of 25% of the US population apparently in the decade following its introduction in 1924. That's a fun fact.

Has anyone studied this usage of salt at all? Like is it actually better or do we just think it's better? I use table salt and sea salt generally but can't say I've ever had trouble sprinkling salt.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

It's an interesting design really. It was never intended to be a great functional juicer but some folk seem to think it's OK. I remember when it was new, but then made myself sad when I realised that was 34 years ago.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

He lives in Canada, one of several countries outside of the US, but yeah we have all the usual stuff here. I honestly think all these huge brands are fully worldwide at this point.

I think that's the problem with saying 'All the usual brands'. I don't know if Fridgeidair is available outside the US. Neff is essentially not available in the US at all, the only stockist in the Americas is in Chile. For me Neff is a really normal brand, I love my Neff oven so it's surprising it's just not available in the US.

I guess Neff is owned by the same people as Bosch, both Siemens companies so it would make sense they segment by region.

Do you have AEG in the US? My AEG induction hob is great.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

How often do you guys power go out? Feels like a really niche concern but do you just have a really unstable grid in your area or something?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Right I've decided to try a cast iron pan. Iearnt to cook with stainless steel and never really saw the need to do anything different. Also cast iron pan nerds are insufferable so partly out of contrarianism as well.

I have a cast iron griddle (a griddle) , griddle pan (pan with ridges) (why do these have the same name but are totally different) , Dutch oven etc but no just cast iron pan. If I wanted to get a decent cast iron pan in the UK where would I go? Not looking to break the bank on something I might not use that much.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

You have Lodge pans in the UK, it’s relatively cheap and pretty much the standard for the last 50 years in the US

I've not really been aware of lodge in the UK. I've never seen them, I'll have a look around though.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Nettle Soup posted:

They're easy to get off Amazon.

I'm always a bit leery about ordering things like that off Amazon, I like a physical shop for things that. But I'll give them a look see.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Stupid Decisions posted:

Are you in London? Borough Kitchen stock Lodge. Or you could always order and return.

If you would prefer something made in the UK then have a look at https://www.netherton-foundry.co.uk/. They are spun iron rather than cast which is lighter but work in a very similar way.
I have a 30cm frying pan which I really like except the handle makes it slightly too big to fit in my oven.

Sadly I'm in far from London, well not really sad as London is awful, in Edinburgh. Those spun iron pans look interesting, I've seen their casseroles in a shop near here but not the pans before.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Those spun iron pan have insanely long handles. Absolutely bonkers, what in the world.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Nettle Soup posted:

Yeah if you can avoid a wooden handle, do so, so you can just throw the thing in the oven when needed.

Seriously though, if you do have a carboot near you, go take a look. Cast iron lasts basically forever, and people tend to dump it when they get older and can no longer lift it. I think out of my two frying pans, bake stone and massive le cruset roasting dish, I probably paid under £30 for the lot.

Problem with those pans, wooden bit or not is they're 60cm wide so absolutely will not fit in my oven like it or not.

I did see someone giving away a full set of le cruset pans with frying pans, 6 in total including the hanging rack....

... Turned out the person giving them away had dementia and a Facebook account and was giving away everything in their house. Their daughter did manage to round up most of the stuff again, including the pans.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I understand this is a me problem but when I see something like that I always question the entire product. Like it's supposed to be good to go in an oven but it won't fit in any standard UK oven, that makes me question if the whole product is well designed.

Grinding the handle down is something I have considered though

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Eccles posted:

Eddingtons distributes Lodge pans in the UK, and from the map on their web site, it looks like there are several shops in Edinburgh that might sell them. Something to consider at any rate.

https://www.eddingtons.co.uk/Catalo...DLE-12-17L10SK3

That's a good shout, I'll check them out. There's always Nisbets as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

SubG posted:

How big is your oven?

30 cm pan with a 28 cm handle in a 50 cm square oven:

I have a Neff under counter oven so it's about 40cm deep inside. 71 litres usable space.

Pretty much all built in units are 56cm deep l, not sure be seen one that would have 50cm of usable depth inside them.