Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Transmetropolitan posted:

Wise goons, what do you think about rice cookers?

I cook a lot of rice and I have been thinking about getting one. While I have no trouble using a saucepan for that task, the convenience of setting up and even steaming some veggies as it manages the rice is persuading me (also more space on the stove can't hurt). I have read Alton Brown's opinion on it and I was surprised that he actually recommends it, because it isn't a kitchen unitasker as it first appears.

Thanks in advance :)

If you want a rice cooker, get one of the good ones, with a computer that intelligently applies heat instead of just being a plug-in pot. Tiger makes good cheap ones, and the Aroma model is pretty nice too, but Zojirushi is the gold standard. One of the benefits of the higher end ones is that you can hold rice for hours or days without it drying out or burning, so don't be put off by how long they take to cook rice. You can even add your rice and water and set a schedule, so you can have fresh rice for breakfast or dinner or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Steve Yun posted:

Anyone wanna recommend a brand of food mill?

The OXO one is outstanding, just like almost everything they make.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

deimos posted:

Whatever you get make it a Panasonic (or does anyone else make Inverters?) Inverter, so much better.

I'll second this recommendation.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Squashy Nipples posted:

The gun seems unnecessarily complicated... I have an indoor smoking box, it's less then $50 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Stovetop-Smoker-Original-Camerons-Stainless/dp/B00004SZ9D/

It's a hot smoke, not a cold one, so you can't do the same things to meat that you can with an outdoor smoker, but it's perfect for adding smoke flavor to things like veggies.

How well does it seal the smoke in? I have a small apartment and fire alarms, but no outdoor space in which to erect a smoker. Also, outdoor smokers are expressly prohibited.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

pnau posted:

Any recommendations for a decent garlic press ?

Mine broke after using it 3-4 nights a week for 2 years and im looking for something heavy duty that will last a bit longer.

Have been looking at this OXO one https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Garlic-Press/dp/B00004OCJX

Kuhn Rikon makes the best one that I've ever used. I bought it on recommendation from... somewhere (maybe ATK) and it's great.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

A knife can't get the garlic anywhere near as fine, at least not without a lot of mincing afterwards. I like the ceramic grater I got for garlic and ginger for this, it's super easy to clean and turns both garlic and ginger into paste, it's a little more work than a press but it gets good enough results that it's worth it.

Put some plastic wrap on top before grating. No cleanup necessary.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Horse Clocks posted:

This makes no sense. I can't make head or tail out of a way plastic wrap would reduce cleanup without plastic shards in your garlic.

These graters aren't sharp, exactly. It's a (usually) ceramic imitation of a traditional Japanese sharkskin grater.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

12-piece KA triply set is up for $200 on woot today. Seems like a good deal to me if you're in need of pots and pans!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

How much labor/hand-work can a good stand mixer remove from the process of making bread, if any? I'd like to at least be able to make my own bread, but I don't have a lot of counter-space for poo poo like kneading and pin-rolling and the like, and my roommate might freak out if I cover the counter with flour like some recipes call for. I'm kinda looking for excuses to buy that KitchenAid stand mixer next time I have the money.

Basically they knead the dough, nothing more. It does dramatically reduce the amount of effort necessary, but it's not like you can use a KitchenAid for a rolling pin.

If your primary use for a stand mixer is bread, I'd suggest a Bosch instead of a KitchenAid. Otherwise, a KA is more general purpose.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Murgos posted:

Same here. It was fine, no problems with sticking at all. This was with a very well seasoned pan though not one that had just been stripped. The discoloration was interesting but it has faded after a few uses.

I did the same thing with a stainless steel 3 qt pot though. One of those multiple layer ones to make them heat more evenly and retain heat better. Uh, yeah, the bottom layer fell off when I lifted it off the burner to move it off the heat and spewed molten aluminum? lead? Something all over the place. Whoops.

I've done that. I had really thick aluminum foil to peel off when it was done cooling.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Oregon Scientific AW133 thermometer on sale today for $13 at Meh.com. It's a grill thermometer, and it has bluetooth, and Oregon Scientific makes pretty decent gear. It's $39 on Amazon, so snap it up!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

bongwizzard posted:

Switch to lard, it lets you cook at a higher temp doesn't add the burned taste that bacon fat has. Or use ghee. The woman got really really great at making eggs with a runny/raw yoke but a set white with crispy edges all of the sudden one day. It was weeks later I discovered she was more or less flash frying them in like a 1/2" of almost smoking ghee. It is horrific fat abuse but man are they some good eggs.

That's the Spanish method of frying eggs. It's absolutely amazing, and even better in ghee than oil. You can get the whites perfectly set, but with just-warmed yolk and super crispy lacy edges all around the egg, not just on the bottom. It's basically oil poaching.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

i think the one CI rec that i followed down the wrong path was the OXO scale with the detachable display. like yeah it works p well for most things but it's crap at weighing grams as opposed to the Taylors i've used working at restaurants (which are garbage in a whole host of other ways but good for that)

I've said it before and I'll say it again: this is the ur-kitchen scale.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Hauki posted:

I bought that on the thread's recommendation and it constantly times out/powers off literally as I'm adding things. I'll turn it back on and like ten or twenty seconds later it's off again mid pour. It's fine if you need to weigh like one thing, but if you're trying to tare and weigh multiple things or do anything more involved expect it to be an exercise in frustration.

Your batteries might be dying maybe? That doesn't sound like the one I've been using heavily for years, but I have an AC adapter.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Thumposaurus posted:

Can confirm, I've scaled out thousands of pounds of bread dough on the same scale with no issues.

Come for the baker's math, stay for the general excellence. At least, that's been my experience with it. I do kind of hate the buttons though; I'm thinking of having a new one made with proper metal buttons. I know which button is which, but my fascia is kind of... I dunno, melting?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

There's never any harm in calling up the manufacturer and telling them about your problem and asking if it's normal behavior or not. Next time you buy something that sucks, do something about it!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Sextro posted:

Anyone who uses an isi whipper try various brands of nitrous? Even isi themselves seem to sell multiple lines of the stuff with no clear difference.

I've tried the iSi and Whip-It brands and they're identical as far as I can tell. I just buy whatever's cheapest. I'm still going through my 120-pack from Leland.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Here's an incredible teardown of a KitchenAid mixer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qKp-0h9P18

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Krunge posted:

I use non-concentrated dish soap, do you think that would be the issue?

If anyone has a better dish soap than this, I'd love to hear it. It works really well for me, especially on fat.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

I bought the Waring Pro double waffle maker on the left. My friend got the commercial waffle maker on the right for free and dumped it on me. Is there a reason to keep the one on the right over the left? Is the commercial version that much tougher and long lasting? Does it not matter because the nonstick coating will eventually fail on either?

If you want to get rid of one, I can help you with that. PM me if you're interested.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What's the best can opener these days? We had the fancy oxo one that creates no sharp edges but it's gotten dull with time.

Also has anyone ever invented a reliable device thats like an egg slicer but for onions, chopping onions and shallots takes the most time of any kitchen prep job for me.

Also recommending the EZ DUZ IT. Any can opener will dull eventually, but if you run a doubled-over paper towel through it a few times after it contacts food (especially tomatoes or other acidic/corrosive food) it'll last way longer. Mine's three years in and still just like new.

e: is there a Best Citrus Press? I want something handheld, ideally - but if the countertop ones are way better, I can deal with the extra bulk.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I have some no name handheld one that works fine (as long as you don't put the fruit in the wrong direction, a mistake a lot of people make), and a countertop press for orange juice (or when you gotta press a shitload of lemons). When I got it, I had also purchased an electric orange juicer with the spinny thing on top. The manual press is about twice as fast as the electric one, no less effort (because you have to press the fruit on the electric one pretty forcefully), and gets probably 98% as much juice as the electric one (I pressed a bunch of oranges, then tried to use the electric juicer to get what was left in them. It was a minuscule amount).

I don't know that this is the same one that I have but it looks like it:
https://smile.amazon.com/New-Star-Foodservice-46878-Commercial/dp/B00KQ47HL0/

Thanks. Since I'll be mainly juicing lemons and limes, I think I'll just go for a no-name citrus press.

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

Do I really need a Searzall? I've wanted one ever since they were announced, but I can't see myself neeeeeeeeding it.....

Also what's the deal with the Instant Pot? All of the housewives on my Facebook are going buttfuck crazy over it and near as I can tell it's more or less an electric pressure cooker with a warming function?

The words "pressure cooker" are scary, but "Instant Pot" sounds sort of like "Crock Pot." You'd be better off with a stovetop model.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

The only reason, as far as I can tell, that anyone uses soda-lime to make bakeware is because it's way cheaper to manufacture and is more likely to break than borosilicate so you have to replace it more often. I could be wrong. I know soda-lime does have higher impact resistance at room temperature. I'm not sure exactly how heat interacts with that, but I'd assume it makes it more brittle - and the more heat-resistant glass is less prone to this, at least in my head. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Sweet. I scored an Assistent (spelling is correct) for $80 on Craigslist. It's an older model, but it'll still make 15# of dough or so at a time, and it'll last a lifetime. I have to drive a couple hours to pick it up, but that is absolutely worth it - and I have business nearby anyway.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 11, 2016

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Turns out that the Assistent I got on Craigslist is the N24, not the N21. That's a difference of about 10 years.

I am incredibly lucky to have found this. They still go for $300-400 after 15 years of use. I opened it up and it's virtually pristine inside.

Time to bake a dozen loaves of bread, I guess.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

Please post pics, I'm curious about this unearthed treasure

It was for sale at $200, hence the sticker, but I talked the previous owner down.

The last picture is sitting next to my other high end kitchen appliance, the Magimix 5200XL, for scale. That's an 8 quart bowl, I believe - maybe 10. I store them on the floor because I don't have enough counter space to keep them out.

e: it's missing a LOT of accessories, but it has the stainless bowl, kneading rod, and scraper, and that's all I really care about. I have the whipping attachment for my food processor so I don't think I'll pick that up, but I would like to buy the pasta roller/cutter attachments and the meat grinder/cookie press/pasta extruder as well as the flour mill.

e: I'll post a video in the bread thread when I use it

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 12, 2016

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I'm glad I went with a Magimix :v:

It's cool that they're replacing all potentially affected blades, though. That's got to cost them a lot of money.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

You know what your kitchen needs? SMEG.

Can you get KitchenAIDS from SMEG?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

Made cookies today and had to use the lovely hand mixer attachment for my stick blender. I want a standing mixer so bad.

If you bake bread, there's really only one choice. It also does everything else a stand mixer needs to do with aplomb, and in many cases better than a KitchenAid.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

Hey what happened to your undying love for the Bosch you whore

If you make lots of bread, listen to Symmetry or get his previous favorite, one of the Bosch Universal Mixers.

If you don't bake bread often, get a Kitchenaid

The Bosch is the budget option, but it doesn't do as well with small batches or really large batches. It's also not built as well, so it won't last as long (on average). The mixing action is different (worse) and it's harder to clean.

If you can't spend $500+ on a mixer, go with a Bosch. If you can't afford a Bosch Compact, save up.

agreed that if you don't bake bread, mill flour, or grind meat you should probably just get a KA, but don't expect to ever knead bread in it. You'll kill the poor thing.

e: IIRC I've always been a bigger fan of the Ankarsrum but it used to be so far outside of my budget that I didn't really bother speaking up about it. It's definitely on the line between consumer and commercial pricing.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Dec 25, 2016

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

That's just not true at all.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The gently caress? I've been making bread in my kitchenaid for years.

TFL is pretty adamant about not kneading bread with a KitchenAid. Many people there have horror stories of 3+ burned-out mixers. Of course, it'll depend on which model and vintage you have, but when a Bosch is the same price and much better suited, you might as well go for that, right?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

There is a step between Cuisinart and Robot-Coupe, and it's even built by Robot-Coupe: the Magimix. I have one, the 5200XL model with a few extra attachments. The blades are built by Sabatier, the motor and powertrain are built by Robot-Coupe (and have a 30 year warranty), and the body is strong, thick acrylic. The midi bowl is kind of an odd duck, only usable for slicing/grating disks, but the mini bowl is nice for small quantities of stuff and the big bowl is very big. I made bone meal with mine once. The body and blades are warrantied for 3 years, which isn't that long compared with the ludicrous 3 decade motor warranty, but still pretty reasonable.

I need to get more attachments for mine, though. They make all sorts of things - food mill, juicer, a bunch of disk sizes and shapes, so on and so forth.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

GobiasIndustries posted:

Back in college I bought a cheapass set of T-Fal cookware. The only piece I still have is I think a saute pan? ~11" diameter and roughly 3-3.5 inches deep. The center is starting to raise now and heat doesn't seem to be getting to the outer edges of the pan. I was looking for a replacement for under ~$50 if possible, would something like this be a decent purchase?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M7RNLXV

That would be a fine replacement, but I'd go to your nearest Ross or Tuesday Morning or whatever is similar and look there instead. I've seen Cuisinart MCP for 50-75% off sticker price occasionally, and their lower end lines for really low prices all the time. Stick with Cuisinart, Calphalon, Tramontina (if they have any) and look up the pan online before you buy it.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Some of us have robot coupes laying around :shrug:

Besides, all I was pointing out is that it's possible to get the consistency. Plenty of cheaper food processors have serrated blades.

My Magimix (robot-coupe's consumer brand) does a pretty good job too, but the blade isn't heavily serrated. Still, it makes a better paste than Cuisinarts I've tried.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

Kuhn Rikon 8 quart pressure cookers are half price RIGHT NYAO

https://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Stainless-Steel-Pressure-Cooker/dp/B00009A9XU

I bought my 7 quart for $165, so get this bargain! I am already jealous of you!

This is an amazing deal that everyone should definitely buy, including people who already have a pressure cooker. Including people who already have a Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

One that everyone likes is the Kuhn Rikon $5 cheap feeling plastic Y peeler. They're super cheap so you can buy plenty of them, they're carbon steel so they stay sharp longer and they have an angle that peels very thinly so that not a lot of vegetable matter goes to waste. The only downside is that they are carbon steel so you probably should hand wash them (mine rusted in the machine)

Other good options if you want machine washable are the Oxo or Messermeister peelers.

That's what I use. It feels and looks cheap, but it's not like it's flimsy, and it's precise and easy to use. Can't go wrong.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

As hot as possible, until it stops smoking. Flaxseed oil is best but anything works. Each coat takes about an hour, and I do seven coats.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Feenix posted:

Alright so...

Oil.
Wipe well.
400+ for about an hour.
Cool to handle-able temp.
Oil.
Wipe well.

Etc...

Yeas?

Pretty much. For more details, Sheryl Canter is the best source I've found.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I don't bother with a handle cover, I just pull out a kitchen cloth or oven mitt. My sister has kids and does use handle covers though, and she likes the silicone ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

What about liquid oxygen, then? Pretty hard to kill yourself with an oxygen overdose, and it's even colder than liquid nitrogen.