Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I haven't looked past Amazon, but are any of the high end Rice cookers getting caught up in this fall/Black Friday/cyber business?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Mr. Wookums posted:

The Zojirushi 1L is about 85 dollars from the Amazon warehouse today.

I think I missed this, unless I went blind. Oh well. Back to the stove top method for another year.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Mr. Wookums posted:

Choose http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0074CDG6C/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all the warehouse as sell for 15% off at checkout. Closer to 95 bucks depending on tax.

Oh, awesome. It's only double digits, I can rationalize any stupid purchase that's just double digits. Diabetes inducing levels of rice consumption here I come!

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I'm pretty sure I've that exact same "no-name" model. Soak in water for 12 hours then grind into a fine dust 1 cup of black beans, then 1 cup of soaked white rice followed by 1 cup of dry white rice. At the end of the dry white the powder you make should be clean and white. If not do another wet-rice/dry rice cycle.

This also really quickly teaches you more efficient and safe patterns to grind with. Keep trying different ways of holding until one works both quickly and comfortably.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'm guessing there isn't much of a difference between low-cost toasters? Was looking to keep it around or preferably under $30 and don't need anything fancy, just bread and the occasional bagel, found this one which has 4 slots which is a bonus: http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-Slice-Touch-Toaster/dp/B0014E0UFQ

I don't know about the one you linked but the Amazon best seller from Oster toasts notably more evenly than any other toaster I've owned

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

For cutting through bone and such a cleaver is probably your best bet, it has the heft, softer steel and thickness that suits that task.

Buy a cleaver. Scour your local large-city chinatown for good hefty cleavers with fine edges, or just get the CCK cleaver. My cleaver has become my go-to for most every task that doesn't require delicacy or precision. Also it is really very satisfying to turn a whole chicken into two half chickens with a single stroke.

E: I picked mine up for $15, so I feel no qualms about basically using it as a sharp hammer.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 20, 2016

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I mean. I like waffles, but am I responsible enough to have such a thing and not immediately start putting everything into it? Hmm.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I'm betrothed to waffle-reheated pizza and waffle grilled cheese.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Is there any home/countertop rotisserie setup that is worth the money/my time? Spinny meat seems fun and I can think of a few other odd ideas that might work better spinning.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 3, 2016

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Molten Llama posted:

Hilariously and surprisingly, the ever-present RONCO WHATEVER-THOUSAND SHOWTIME ROTISSERIE of infomercial fame ("Just set it... and forget it!") actually does a decent job.

It's also huge, and gets really hot on the outside, and needs a lot of clear counter space, and is a total bitch to clean, and operates at a fixed temperature. You've gotta be dedicated to spinny meat to go that route.

If you've got a barbecue that will accept a rotisserie setup, I'd personally go that way over countertop.

No outside space to grill in unfortunately. I'll probably just wait for a decent enough sale on those things to get one without really worrying I'll hate using it.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Anyone who uses an isi whipper try various brands of nitrous? Even isi themselves seem to sell multiple lines of the stuff with no clear difference.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Oh my. That's rather tempting. I guess I can put off buying a vr setup again.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Tried making a double batch of chefsteps pie crust in the typical 5qt artisan. It ended up smelling strongly of hot motor/gears within 30 seconds.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Any recommendations for #200 and #500 sieves that don't cost hundreds of dollars?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Probably a porcelain or similar coating on aluminum with a steel layer in the bottom for induction.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Feenix posted:

No my results haven't been great because I bought lovely woks when I was an idiot youngster. I only recently have a glass top. :)

Then the only thing that's changed is being young.

Unless it's induction. Then get 15-20k btu butane burner to use indoors or go for an outdoor propane setup.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I'd also suggest looking into cuckoo. I don't know about Australia, but at least in the us they're on par with zojirushi but you can get a pressurized model for way less than pressure cooking models from zoji or tiger. This matters more if you want your short/medium grain rice softer or are bad at planning and need rice faster/brown rice in less than 90 minutes.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

You can also wear them with a suit and pretend you're about to rob a bank

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I got a $200 robovac and it's been great. From what I researched you have to step up to the aforementioned $1000 bot to get any noticable improvement. I've all hardwood floors and I'm really impressed (and embarrassed) by how much it picks up.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Deebot N79, it's MSRP is $199, but I got it at $170 and it was just on Amazon for $159 or somesuch. Its older style bump+rotate rather than any sorta mapping or pattern building. But the actual vacuuming works very well, even with pet hair and it's battery lasts long enough to get my ~800 sq ft main room done pretty thoroughly on a single charge. It handles rugs and tassles on rugs pretty well and only really frequently gets stuck on a rats nest of power cables I don't always tuck away after fussing with.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Just cut some carrots and onions into planks and rings and use those? Or any veggie to roast really.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Any recommendations for sieves/sieve sets? I want the best smoothest purees but without dropping $70 per sieve.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

VelociBacon posted:

My Blendtec is so loud that I can't use it in my wood frame apartment in the mornings before work (around 5:45AM) because I'm pretty sure it'd wake up the neighbors. I don't really mind because I've accepted that as a tradeoff for a great blender but I'd love for it to be quieter.

gently caress the neighbors, smoothie time yo. They probably have a dog that barks or flush their toilet too many times so you are just getting even.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

If you have a ceramic/glasstop stove I would also lean towards the instapot. Needing to be a jedi about guessing temp cycles to avoid scorching less-liquidy recipes is a pain in my rear end that makes me want an instapot despite having a fissler.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I'm starting to think my lovely glass top stove heats so unevenly it's warping pans. I've had a decent carbon steel pan, a number of lovely aluminum stock pots and an all clad pan all develop varying degrees of wobble within the past two months or so. Is this a thing? Or should I be looking for some other cause.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Glass top will cause warping due to metal expansion, yes, but it shouldn't really exist beyond the cooking session.

It's started to last beyond cooking sessions to varying degrees depending on the quality of the pan.

No Wave posted:

Have you been running water over your hot pans? It's fun to do but it warps them.

No. Well yes, but not the ones I'm complaining about.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I might have too many gadgets, and I am starting to forget what I already have. I just spent a week lusting after buying an immersion blender.

Then last night I was making a lentil stew when I complained to my gf that I really wished I had an immersion blender to make it really nice she just stared at me and opened a drawer right next to me, and lo there's an immersion blender I bought over a year ago and kinda forgot about because I also got a Vitamix.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Buy the slightly upmarket tfal pan by whatever name they are calling it this season. Throw it out soon as it gets a scratch.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I've never understood the silicone rings on mixing bowls, but I just realized I always hold my bowls off the counter whenever I'm mixing in them. Weird.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

Personally I’d get a $35 benriner and a $10-15 cut proof glove

This man speaks powerful truths.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

My local farme'rs market has an old lady that sells ziploc baggies of fresh herbs and beans, after for weeks assuming she was just going to the bulk/wholesaler and filling up ziplocs to sell at the farmer's market (blame the lovely farmer's markets of Tampa/St. Pete for making me assume that of every vendor until proven otherwise) I tried some cranberry and black beans. They were so fresh that soaking them for a few hours had them tender enough to eat. Also when I placed a few in my herb planter they grew into really hardy + attractive plants within days.

So, go look for old ladies at your farmer's market.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

I have cheapo $1 squeeze bottles from the grocery and they've never leaked

It depends on which particular factory made your grocery store's $1 bottles. The earlier post about the inner lip is key.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Has anyone sprung for a pressure cooking capable model of zojirushi/cuckoo/similar? I've been rocking with a base model zoji and totally happy. But the pan needs replacing and that's got me thinking of just going for a wholesale upgrade. For reference I have an instantpot and my two attempts at (long grain) rice in it left me unimpressed with how poorly the grains maintained separation.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

You also crossed a picket line by shopping Amazon today.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I. M. Gei posted:

I... I didn’t know that. Sorry, I guess?

Also Thermoworks has Thermapen Mk4s on sale for 25% off which puts them at $75 which is pretty good.

It's also tomorrow, just as an fyi. Really though the $180 Vitamix returb is brilliant. I snapped one up 2 years ago when they were selling them direct at the same price.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Keret posted:

Speaking of towels and pads and such, I just got my Vitamix (thanks for the exhortation, Dino) and it's badass. That said, it's loud as gently caress. I personally don't mind so much cause it needs to do its thing, but I'd rather not have my apartment building neighbors take up arms against me for using it everyday. Is there a good pad thing to set it on that will dampen the sound it makes?

This isn't really "equipment" per se, but since I'm on the subject, does anyone have a good cookbook or resource/compendium for babby's first smoothie making ideas, aside from the Vitamix one? Maybe something like Ratio or the Flavor Bible but for smoothies and juices?

gently caress your neighbors, they knew what they were getting into by moving into a lovely building.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

AnonSpore posted:

Crossposting from general questions:

Hopefully others will chip in, but my experiences with jacquard-ed meat has always left me wondering if it added any value pounding thinner wouldn't have. Thicker cuts (over 7-8cm) I've never tried it on, but I can't imagine it'd just make the meat feel "processed"

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Maybe It is time I give the instantpot rice another shot. Let's talk how to make it!

I generally want 1 of 3 types of rice:

Sticky short grain, but with distinct kernels rather than mush, Japanese side dish style.

Very fluffy and separate aromatic long grain

Brown rice that is as soft as white rice.

Any suggestions?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I posted that without thinking about the fact that I just started the Whole30 diet. No rice for me. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Anyone have any info on induction burners. I already have a decent gas stovetop, with power burners/quick boil etc. But they throw out a ton more heat into the room than an induction would and summer is coming. What's the absolute best induction burner out there? Is there any reason to spend the $$$ for a polyscience? Is there better than that available?

I'll probably swing back around to ask about countertop ovens later too.