Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevDrMikey
Nov 16, 2023

VictualSquid posted:

I got a Thermapen 10ish years ago for almost 100€ including shipping. Now it is breaking and I wish I had bought 10 cheap pens instead.

Anybody know a quick fix? It is no longer turning on reliably. I had to refold and unfold it several times to get it to turn on for over a year now. Recently it only works if I put pressure on the hinge part from the side, the on switch seems to be broken.

Their service line is cool so they'd probably help you out. Lots of repair videos online. Thermapens have a metal wiper contact which is the weakest part of the unit. It enables the "open probe to turn on" function so they keep it. Especially if you bake, fine powder can get in there and disrupt the contact. Now it's a moisture magnet so it's eating the metal. It's pretty easy to open up. De-crap it like any old electronic. Reassemble. Lots of guides online about cleaning contacts.

I had a 3rd? gen model go wonky after a baking spree. It's not 100% reliable even after some fixes, but opening and closing it a couple times is usually fine. Got a 4th? gen because lots of improvements. Kept the 3rd gen for road trips or whatever.

You don't need a thermapen in the same way you don't need some expensive hand-forged Japanese chef knife. But having it does make your day that much better. And the quality really is there.

smackfu posted:

Yeah, just funny that it says exactly what a fake site would say.

Actually counterfeiters would probably copy the engravings.

Counterfeit All-Clad really is a huge problem right now. Which is not helped at all by their factory sites often looking like you're using the wayback machine to view a scam from 1990's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevDrMikey
Nov 16, 2023

Fists Up posted:

I have a Puegeot adjustable grinder (googling seems to suggest it might be something like the Peugeot Paris u'Select Manual) and it's lasted me very many years with no problem. Although I hear there are a lot of knockoff/fakes now across the internet

Peugeot and Unicorn have been top of the pile for a long time.

Unicorn is badass and reliable. While the refill is not as easy as some, people vastly overplay the potential for accidentally opening the mechanism mid-grind. Not instantly adjustable, but for a coarse cooking grind, who cares. And the storage is huge so how often do you refill it anyway.

Peugeot is beautiful. But I had a bad habit of holding it by the adjustment ring which inevitably snapped. Adjust it once, then grip it by the barrel. So a Peugeot with adjustment really is the perfect grinder for the table. Having the ability to instantly dial it to the "dust" setting for omelettes was lovely.

Steve Yun posted:

Okay hear me out. The rice function sucks on IP

Instead of using the rice function, do manual high pressure cook for 10 mins

Lots of people have bad opinions about rice. Especially people who grew up with improperly cooked rice so they think it should have a bite like cheap grits. Zojis are truly worth it for anyone who knows rice. But the point about IP being good for quick brown rice is spot on. A zoji takes forever because it's making perfect brown rice, while a pressure cooker gets most of the way quickly. If I'm in a pinch for quick rice it's regular pot for white or IP for brown. Otherwise throw the rice in the Zoji two hours ahead.

It's not just that the Zoji makes truly perfect rice (dial the water up or down a bit for texture). It's that it holds it safely forever. It'll even start on a timer and just presoak your rice while you're at work so it's ready when you get home if you want.

Brother Tadger posted:

Vitamix recipes

Top of the pile for most people is blending whole fruit (pieces) from frozen. The Vitamix site will have a sorbet recipe that's amazing, and when you put booze in a sorbet hey look strawberry daiquri. And make smoothies from whole fruit. Protein junkies, it'll blitz a whole banana and ice into a professional-quality smoothie.

The party piece is soup. Toss in some onions and whatever. Set it on high until it's steaming ~10min. It's totally impractical and stupid. But it's fun.

In the camp of people who don't need a Vitamix, just in case it hasn't been mentioned recently - Vitamix is way too powerful for things like salsa. If you mostly make salsa, food processors or bullets are great. Everyone who has a Vitamix probably also has a food processor.