Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Transmetropolitan posted:

This one seems pretty solid. It apparently delivers godlike rice every single time, so perhaps it is worth 120+ USD?

Yep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

teraflame posted:

Thing is with most rice cookers is that the pots have nonstick coating, including all the zojirushis. It will definitely wear off and get into the food in a few years. I had to retire a couple before.

I eventually bought a Buffalo rice cooker, which has a stainless steel pot. A bit more expensive but I have no doubt it would last.

Looks like a replacement pot for the one mentioned above is only $35. Not too bad of a replacement cost once every couple years.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Gerblyn posted:

I've been told I need to get a cast iron frying pan so I don't destroy my non-stick one by cooking meat and things in it. I had a look round, and the most common brand I can get here (the Netherlands) is Le Creuset. They're kind of expensive (26cm pan is 140 euros), and I notice that's a brand that's mentioned in the OP. Is it worth investing that much money in the pan, or should I shop around looking for something cheaper? I can afford the cost, and I would like a good quality pan that lasts.

Definitely not...cast iron should be one of the cheapest pans you can find. They're made to be abused and are relatively indestructible. Le Creuset makes good poo poo but I wouldn't be caught dead buying non-enameled cast iron anything from them for prices like that. Keep shopping around, or just get a solid tri-ply stainless steel pan rather than cast iron.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Glockamole posted:

It's not that I don't already have a cutting board; I have two. I don't use the bamboo one because I thought I read somewhere it's hard on knife edges. But I thought for some reason it was better to have an end grain laminated board or something like that.

Bamboo is fine, and super cheap and sustainable. Just keep your knife honed and sharpen it if necessary. The end grain boards are $$$ and I find them to be beautiful, but overpriced for what they are.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

kinmik posted:

I've noticed that I'm frying foods a lot lately because I'm a fatty fat and fried poo poo tastes amazing, but I decided for my birthday I'd like a dedicated fryer. What have you heard about those "healthy" air fryers and do you recommend one? If not, what's a good brand of deep fryer to purchase?

I don't have any experience with them, nor do I have a suggestion for an actual deep fryer (I'd say just use a big ol' wok), but I'm reasonably certain those "healthy" "air-fryer" devices are worthless bullshit made to cook food for people who are trying to convince themselves that it tastes as good as real deep fried food because they're miserable on their diets that they're going to abandon anyway and die early of heart disease.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

The point of preheating a baking stone is to introduce additional heat to the legs via thermal radiation, no? Rather than spend the money on a baking stone you're not going to use after this, I'd go the opposite route - take the turkey out of the fridge and strap some ice packs to the breasts for an hour or two while the rest of the turkey (dark meat) warms up toward room temperature. If the breast is 20-25 degrees cooler than the rest of the bird when you pop it in the oven, it'll be that much lower after cooking, no? 180 legs, 155-160 breast. That's still a little higher than I like my white meat to be (150), but light years better than most traditionally cooked turkey white meat (between 180 and 5000 degrees, depending on the age of your grandma).

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Here is an overly long comparison of several different hand blenders if you want to check it out. I personally have the Cuisinart CSB-79 (maybe that one or maybe a slightly older revision, but it looks identical and came with all the same stuff) and it has worked flawlessly in the couple of years I've had it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

the_chavi posted:

I got the Hubs an Anova sous vide for Christmas, largely because I wanted it. (Marriage is awesome.) We did our first test run this weekend, with a few racks of ribs in two-gallon ziplocs, and by the end of the marinade + 16 hours of cooking the bags had sprung a few holes - based on the pinprick sizes, I'm assuming it's from the bones and not structural failure. With that being said, we'd like to figure out a better way to make tasty things that don't get soaked in the water bath. Is a food saver/vacuum packer the only option? Can ziploc bags still work for things that aren't pointy?

Use thicker zipper-top bags, like freezer bags. Those do get expensive after a while, though, so I'd recommend biting the bullet and just getting a Foodsaver. A roll of these bags is dirt cheap for 50' worth and they work a charm. I haven't had any breakage or leakage issues with them, and they're pretty thick.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Refurbished 6-quart bowl lift KitchenAid Pro stand mixer on Woot today for $200. Pretty good deal for a bowl lift Pro model if you don't want to wait around for the unicorn $200 new sale that pops up on the internet maybe once a year.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

One of Amazon's Deals of the Day is the Anova Bluetooth-enabled Precision Cooker for $139. This is a really good price for a really good piece of kit. Buy it now!!!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I have never tasted risotto before, but this sounds like something I need to make.

Even if you don't make it yourself, that's definitely something you need to change.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

This is the roll of vacuum bags I got and I have yet to puncture or otherwise have them fail on me. Cheap as poo poo, too, for 50 feet worth.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I've got a Presto 8 quart stainless steel pressure cooker on the way since it'll be a lot cheaper to cook all the beans I eat from dry bought in bulk from the local Indian grocer than use can after can. I've never used a pressure cooker before and was browsing the manual earlier. How many of the precautions should I actually pay heed to? I know I have to leave some space in it so I'll adhere to the "only fill 2/3" rule. What about not cooking beans or certain other things because they foam? How much of an issue is that, actually? Just wondering about some of the more well known newbie questions having to do with pressure cookers. Thanks!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Thoht posted:

I cook more beans in my pressure cooker than anything else. Just squirt a tablespoon or two of oil in with the water to reduce foaming. Even that's probably unnecessary. I've got the presto and I've found that 1# of beans to 6C water for 32-35 minutes usually comes out perfect for me.

That's without soaking, right?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Eeyo posted:

I haven't tested this, but they have at least a few safety features that should prevent over-pressure. There's a rubber burst cap that should blow at a reasonable pressure, and there's a little pin that prevents opening the handle under pressure. It seems like the pin would also blow at some point since it's just a thick gasket holding it in place, but I don't know if that's true.

I think the only dangerous thing you could do (other than leaving it unattended or something) would be to directly take off the rocker since that would produce a very dangerous jet of high pressure steam out of the top.

Keep in mind also that pressure cooker accidents aren't that common. If you query a national database of statistics for accidents, you find that they estimate ~1500 people were involved in a pressure cooker accident with emergency room treatment during 2014. A lot of those are bound to be people touching the cooker (they get pretty hot!) and other accidents that are avoidable.

So you're probably safe from dying in a horrific pressure cooker accident. But be safe anyway!

Edit: From reading the reports, a whole lot of them were actually premature opening of the pressure cooker. The Presto should prevent that but just make sure the pin is completely down before opening it!

Thanks...I had my first pressure cooking experience this weekend and did end up slightly scorching my thumb when I took the cover off. The pressure was fully dissipated but there was still a nice cloud of steam that came out. It taught me to wear some pot holders when I take it off moving forward.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

KitchenAid 6 Quart Pro Mixers on sale again today at Woot for $199. Refurbished but still a drat good deal, with a 6 month manufacturer warranty.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Flaggy posted:

Is the Kitchenaid meat grinder/sausage stuffer fine if I only want to do sausage a couple of times a year? Should I find a metal one instead?

Depends on how much sausage you're doing at a time. A couple pounds, sure. 25? Get a dedicated grinder.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

bartlebee posted:

Read through the thread and saw some pressure cooker discussion, in addition to the medium-price pressure cooker in the OP. Is there any functional difference between that one and say, this one I found on Amazon for about $30 cheaper?

http://www.amazon.com/Presto-01370-...pressure+cooker

Just asking because I don't even know what to look for in these things, but they're both 4.5 stars from customer reviews.

I have this pressure cooker and it owns bones. I use it at least once a week and have not a bad thing to say about it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

VelociBacon posted:

It wouldn't be a problem but holy poo poo this whole gimmicky one-pot pasta thing needs to go away already. I'm not sure if my opinion is going to be unpopular here but there is no reason to lose precise control over the cooking of the pasta (by having it in it's own pot) just to have it in the same container as the other ingredients. If you want to flavor your pasta you can do that with stock and still get perfect pasta when you rehydrate it at the end with the sauce.

I don't get it, what is your issue with that method? It looks like the pasta finishes cooking just as the liquid has reduced enough to create a beautifully cohesive sauce. The starch the pasta gave up also helps it to coat everything fully and evenly. It's not like it's one of those Hamburger Helper 1-pot bullshit e-z dishes, it's a method that seems to be both easier and more effective than cooking the pasta separately. The only downside would be to add too much water so that the pasta is overdone before it's reduced all the way. Better to err on the side of a bit too little water and add more to thin it out if necessary.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I thought that video sounded familiar...that guy has a very distinct cadence. In some other thread this recipe for bagna cauda was posted. I don't know what's up with him but he's somewhere between cringey and amusing. The bagna cauda looks good, though. So does the posted video for orrechiette.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Croatoan posted:

Hell just save up and buy this. If you treat it right it could last a lifetime. The D5 is better but not at all worth the price difference unless you get like a really sweet bonus (which is exactly how I bought mine and have never regretted it).
https://www.amazon.com/All-Clad-Stainless-Tri-Ply-Dishwasher-Cookware/dp/B00FUF5K8W

Another way to get a nice discount on an All-Clad or other top-notch stainless pan is to scour your local TJ Maxx/Marshalls. It's still not cheap, but it's definitely less expensive than if you were to buy that stuff at a department store or at most places online (sometimes even cheaper than Amazon).

They also have Le Creuset stuff sometimes, which is nice.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

:siren::siren::siren:

There's a sale on all Thermoworks products, including Thermapens. Use the coupon code 15OFFSITEWIDE. With 15% off, you can snag a ClassicThermapen for $67. Still a bit pricey, but cheaper than $100 for a brand new Mk. 4 and it performs just as well.

:siren::siren::siren:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Does Thermoworks normally have Father's Day sales? They've got a 15% off deal going right now for everything on their site, but I'm wondering if they'll be offering ThermaPens any cheaper than that come Father's Day time.

I'm not sure, but even if they do, I doubt it'll be any better than 15% off a Thermapen. I'd bite before that sale ends (if it hasn't already).

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Classic Thermapen (grey only) sale for $69 right now.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Stalizard posted:

Where's the cheapest place to buy a kitchenaid these days? I'm looking for the 6 qt bowl lift model, prefer to buy in store but I don't mind buying online, especially if i can get a discount on a refurb

Woot frequently has them on sale, mostly refurbs. I'd hold off for a sale as they're pretty common.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Well I'll be damned, Woot actually has them on sale today.

New, too, not even refurbs. That's a hell of a deal for them.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Crosspost from the sous vide thread:

FoodSaver vacuum sealer on sale for 40 bucks today at Woot. I can't say I've ever used this model, but I have a different FoodSaver (the FM2000) and it's worked flawlessly.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Croatoan posted:

This is a super duper good deal but it's today only so I hope some of y'all saved in advance. KitchenAid Tri-Ply Stainless Steel 12-Piece Set on sale for $222.99 with free shipping.

https://amzn.com/B01ATSHP0A

Goddamn that's a good deal. If I didn't already have a full pots and pans collection, I'd jump on that in a heartbeat.

Even so, I still want to buy it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Not sure if anyone else is testing the waters with the Misen Kickstarter knife, but just got an email today that because of "moisture discovered in their packaging", that shipping would be delayed until mid-late September. Bummer.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

Goon-approved 12" stainless skillet < $50 US?

I had a 12" Farberware from Walmart or something, nothing fancy but it was okay. I left it on the stove for like an hour with the burner on (oops) so I kind of need a new one.

The Cuisinart set in the OP doesn't have a 12" pan, and the Calphalon set isn't available anymore. Is there a standard one to buy online or should I just go to TJ Maxx?

Go to TJ Maxx/Marshalls/wherever and get the Cuisinart tri-clad pan. Probably a little less than $50 and it's good poo poo.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Suggestions on a home espresso machine in the $200 range?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

bongwizzard posted:

I wanna get some friends a sous vide machine as a wedding gift, what's the current hotness?

Anova Precision Cooker.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I got that myweigh scale and an AC adapter and could not be happier with it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Pressure cookers are large enough and easy enough to clean that I would never even consider putting mine in the dishwasher. For a vessel that gets pressurized and has the potential to be a bomb if compromised in any way, I wouldn't take the risk.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

lifts cats over head posted:

I'm a pretty experienced home cook who's gotten by with just a food processor for years. Is there reason enough to get a blender in addition to the food processor?

Not unless you're looking for a super high-powered blender like a Vitamix to make nut butters or other things that require the extra oomph. I've made it by on a food processor and a stick blender forever.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Also, rolling pins take 3 seconds to clean. I wouldn't ever even bother putting mine in the dishwasher.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Pretty sure this has been covered before, but I may be getting a stick blender to make pizza sauce. Is there any particular one that's good?

Here is the one I have. It has served me faithfully for at least four years with regular use. The mini-processor attachment is also very handy, and the measuring cup that's just large enough to fit the head of the blender is perfect for making salad dressing and homemade mayonnaise.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Squashy Nipples posted:

Interesting, I never use that thing. In fact, I never seem to have a need for mini-choppers at all.

It is great for processing sun-dried tomatoes for a pizza or pasta sauce, or chopping up some onion/celery/pickle for a chicken or tuna salad, etc. Not great for huge amounts of stuff but for small things, it's much easier and convenient than having to pull out the full-size food processor.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Nephzinho posted:

All of my pots and pans are 5+ years old and I've been eyeballing this set. Anyone know if they're worth the $200 price tag?

$200 for an entire set of tri-ply stuff is a bargain no matter how you look at it, so if you really do need to replace ALL of your pots and pans, I'd pull the trigger. If you only have one or two pieces you need to replace, I'd hold my horses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

For Christmas I got my wife the Kitchenaid Spiralizer/Slicer attachment for our stand mixer. We used it for the first time last night and it is A+++ worth the money. Very stout construction, simple to use, very few small parts to clean, and it worked like a drat charm. We had zucchini "pasta" for dinner last night and it was excellent.