Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I got lazy and dropped the cash for the Chef's Choice electric sharpener. While I don't doubt you could get a bit of a finer edge with manual sharpening or paying someone to do it, it's idiot-proof and takes five minutes to get my knives back to where I want them to be. Plus it's super quick to run all my paring knives through since nothing drives me crazier than a dull paring knife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Nephzinho posted:

I have been gifted a misen gift card and have no idea what to grab as I don't particularly need anything and have always been put off by their early QA issues that may or may not have been addressed based on feedback in this thread. Was thinking of picking up their utility knife to give it a shot while its a gift card anyway and I do love that form factor, but wanted to see if there was anything by them anyone really enjoyed/wanted someone to check out.

I have one of their utility knives and it's excellent. Great size compromise between a chef's knife and a paring knife, and doesn't take up too much space in the drawer.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Nettle Soup posted:

I bought a nice kitchen scale, and it broke within a year, so I'm using an analogue one that's like 70 years old instead. Works fine, except they're not great for fine measurements.

Anyone got a reccomendation for digital kitchen scales that aren't gonna die within a year? (UK)

Here ya go.

Best kitchen scale I've ever owned and it's not close, going on year 6 of ownership.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Nettle Soup posted:

Was looking at those! I would have to really find somewhere permanent for them to live, probably not even in the kitchen because I don't have any useful plug sockets in there, but it looks like a good option.

Seems like they're here for half the price, too. Same model number.

I "wasted" money on the AC adapter as after a while I threw some batteries in it and they've lasted, with daily use, at least a couple years by this point. I'd say stick with the battery power if you get one.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Would an induction burner provide enough energy to heat a pot full of enough oil to fry a turkey?

Just wondering if that would be a safer method of frying one instead of messing with propane and open flame.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

VelociBacon posted:

In two days I'm moving to a condo with a way nicer and way more modern kitchen (Yay). I've been looking at pullout shelves and that whole world of solutions to make it a nicer place to interact with. I'm seeing a lot of 'rev-a-shelf' priced somewhat well and seemingly decent quality, anyone using anything like this?

Also, where do you buy the wild setups I've seen online for corner cabinets with the multistage drawers that come out and all that? I've always thought some of them looked super interesting and clever but I can't find much when I'm looking.

Thanks!

I bought one of these that just happens to fit perfectly into my lower kitchen cabinets. It's not fancy, but it works a charm.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I'm a Misen fan and they do have good customer service. I backed their Dutch oven kickstarter and they replaced the lid immediately after I reported a chip in the enamel out of the box. After my first use of the oven the enamel on the inside pitted a bit, and again they replaced it ASAP even though it wouldn't have any impact on its cooking ability so I gifted the "defective" oven and chipped lid to a friend.

Those are the only issues I've run into with their products and I have a bunch of them.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I've had this scoop for around five years and it's performed admirably. Perfectly-sized scoops.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

BraveUlysses posted:

i have that exact one and i like it.

I also have that exact one and it's great.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

parthenocarpy posted:

If texture is in consideration, ricer is the best for smooth lump-free mash. Some people like/expect lumps.

My wife loves mashed potatoes that are gluey from overmixing but still contain lumps. The best of both worlds!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

mystes posted:

This is pretty much the opposite of what I do. It's so slow to respond that I find that a lot of the time I have to be incredibly aggressive about proactively cranking it up to 10/10 or turning it off and/or taking stuff off the burner based on what direction the temperature is changing in and what i want it to be. If you just leave it on medium it's going to require less attention but it will be even less responsive and you may never get up to high enough temperatures for what you're doing.

I'd say that unlike gas the number is almost completely meaningless because you aren't controlling the heat so much as the rate of change of the heat.

And I do deep fry on it.

Same here. I pretty much crank it to max regardless of what I'm cooking to get the pan hot, get the food in there, then fiddle with the heat until it's where I want it. Get too hot too quick? Just move the pan off the burner and wait a few seconds for it to cool down.

I've cooked exclusively on electric (both coil and glass-top) for the past ~15 years and realized that every range is going to be different, so I think it just takes more experimentation and more cooking until you're comfortable with what you can get away with.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

That's a great deal for an 8-quart LC but having used both an oval and a round 7-quart, round >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> oval. The sheer upgrade in utility for use on the stovetop with the round one just can't be beat.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Breville Smartovens are popular around here. Love mine, I hardly use my big oven anymore (Breville is used daily, big oven maybe once a month)

Seconding Breville Smart Oven, and 100% same on using it daily versus big oven rarely. Preheats quickly, cooks well, has convection, can fit a surprisingly large vessel in it (9x13 pan depending on side overhang/handles - Williams Sonoma goldtouch 9x13 fits).

We use ours literally three times a day or more, my one and only complaint is that with such heavy use the hinges on the door have started to squeak/grind a bit. Doesn't impact its function at all, just doesn't open/close as smoothly as when new, but again is likely due to very heavy use so YMMV.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Wheeee posted:

Nah I want the best air fryer, don’t want a combo device.

Those Cosori’s are what largely prompted my question, that brand is everywhere but I can’t tell if actually good or just extremely effective social marketing; most reviews of them on Youtube are either free review units or straight up sponsored.

Thanks for your input! I’m strongly tempted to just spend double for the Philips for no future second guessing, but hearing good words on Cosori from someone who I assume wasn’t given a freebie is helpful, gonna do more poking around.

I have an Instant Vortex 6 qt air fryer and it's the bee's knees. Works great and the only "issue" was that it had a pretty strong plastic smell the first couple times we used it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Mikasa has some nice flatware. Costco frequently carries their stuff and is where we bought our last set. I personally prefer a lighter weight while my wife prefers heavier so we ended up with the heavier ones, but there's quite a selection out there.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

nwin posted:

The only negative I’ve seen on the shorter ones are that they are wider at the base. This means you need to make more of something to ensure it blends correctly. Don’t quote me on these numbers but an example would be you only need a cup of stuff in the tall version versus 1.5 cups in the short version.

I went with the tall version for that reason, back when I had ample counter space and clearance with my cabinets. We use it for smoothies a lot and we typically just make enough for one smoothie or maybe 2.

Now I’m in a place where I don’t have a ton of space and I really wish we’d gone with the shorter one. I’d rather make a little extra of something and be able to stow the machine because it’s not like I’m using the thing every single day.

This is actually the reason why we returned the Vitamix we bought that had the shorter, wider vessel. We just had to make more of whatever we were blending for it to work properly and make a good vortex, and most of the time we just didn't want or need to make that much.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Bagheera posted:

With cookware, are welded handles longer-lasting than riveted handles? It seems like they would be a little better, but I don't know if they'd last for years and years longer than rivets.

Also, what your thought on this stockpot from Webstaurant for home use? It's a 6.5 quart triple-ply (steel, aluminum, steel) with a lid for $33. That seems like a, well, steal.

I need an induction-ready stock pot that can handle a gallon or more of sauce. I make and freeze large amounts of marinara, salsa, ranchera, mac-and-cheese, etc. I need a large capacity pot where I can make a bunch of it. A consumer-grade triple-ply stock pot runs from about $70 well into the hundreds. At $33, this pot sounds like an incredible deal. What's the catch?

The reason that pot's so cheap is because it's not tri-ply - based on the description, it just has a tri-ply disc bonded to the bottom like any other cheapo pot. Sadly, full tri-ply construction is gonna cost you for the real thing no matter what.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I don’t think tri ply is a big deal for as stock pot. This isn’t the kind of thing where you’re worried about evenly searing a steak or something. You’re heating water + other stuff (and any searing you do before adding water doesn’t need to be as uniform). I see nothing wrong with a cheap stock pot.

Agreed, and I should have mentioned this as well. My own enormous stock pot is made entirely of stainless steel (no bottom disc) that's so thin I could probably crush it with my hands and it works just fine.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

I forgot that Breville bought Joule/ChefSteps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-1tAqtJ-Hc

Has an "autopilot" mode where it adjusts temperature depending on your food and even changes temp for different stages of cooking

Smartphone control

$550!

I love my Smart Oven Pro so much that when it inevitably craps out (hopefully not any time soon) I'm going to have to take a good hard look at this one as a replacement, although ATK recently tested smart ovens and the June Oven won the comparison and looks drat nice too.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I hate cooking rice in a pan, so looking at a rice cooker. There’s only 2 of us, is a 2.5 cup enough or should I go bigger? I’m in the UK so the options are a bit more limited and the usual recommendations don’t seem to apply.

Or should I just use an Instant Pot or something?

Is that 2.5 cups before or after cooking? When I cook rice for my family of four, two imperial cups of pre-cooked rice makes more than enough for all of us to eat plus leftovers. I know the "cups" on the plastic measuring cups that come with rice cookers are smaller for whatever reason, but 2.5 of those should still be plenty if it's just two of you.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

We also have a SimpleHuman trash can (60L semi-round brushed) and it's awesome (takes the "P" bags).

Brand name bags are very expensive, and even the knockoffs from Amazon that fit the can are pricy but much less so and they work just fine.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

SubG posted:

The My Weight KD-8000 unless you need < 1 g accuracy.

And if you need < 1 g accuracy, just buy a small drug scale off Amazon. That's what I did and use it specifically mostly for weighing salt when baking.

I bought my KD-8000 in 2016 and I swear I think it's on the same set of batteries as when I got it. My wife has even left it on all day at times, and they're still trucking.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Higher hydration would work, but I figure that'd alter the end product - and if I use high hydration I could just make a no-knead variant. This is wrapping round the hook to the extent that it wasn't really touching the sides - I could see it wasn't being mixed because I had a wholemeal pre-ferment in there which was not being incorporated at all.

I just wondered if there were any third party dough hooks that might be any better. If not, I might get a bigger dutch oven since I kind of wanted to anyway.

You could always make a double batch and either cold ferment half of it in the fridge for a tastier bread five days later, or freeze the second half and then you don't have to make more dough for your next loaf. All depends on how quickly you go through the bread but I wouldn't bother trying to find any gimmicky third party dough hook.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

+1 for Nordic Ware pans, we replaced all of our half and quarter sheet pans that all see heavy use and I couldn't be happier with them.

Honestly, my biggest complaint is that the raised "Nordic Ware" logo/script on the pans is .01% more difficult to clean than the rest of the cooking surface, but that's literally my only gripe with them.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

We're looking to redo our kitchen soon and are ready to replace our electric range with induction. Any recommendations?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I had a cheapo ceramic honing rod for more than a decade that finally gave up the ghost and broke a few months ago. When considering replacements, I decided to go with the ATK recommendation. It's not cheap, but I had a gift card so decided to go with it.

Holy cow - if this is what honing rods are meant to be, then I may as well have not had one up until this point. I haven't sharpened my main chef's knife in about a month and a half, but when I use this rod, the knife just falls through veg.

If you need a honing rod and have the scratch for it, you will not be disappointed.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

VelociBacon posted:

I've always been a bit unclear about these, are you saying that it's sharper than when you had freshly sharpened it? I thought it was just a way to keep the knife in good shape by aligning the microscopic edge before use. I would assume a freshly sharpened knife is at it's best.

Do you also have to wash your knife after honing? It's essentially a file, I would think you do.

Nah, it’s not sharper after honing than when it’s freshly sharpened but it’s close enough to be indistinguishable which is why I was so surprised given the amount of time since the last actual sharpening.

I do always wipe it with a cloth after honing just out of habit but I’m not sure that’s necessary.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Recently upgraded my range to an LG induction unit and I don't know why I waited so long. This thing kicks rear end. Water boils in no time flat, the heat is incredibly responsive, AND the range I got from Costco came with an induction-capable set of nonstick stuff for eggs and whatnot so I didn't feel bad tossing my old stuff.

It has an "air sous vide" feature which I'm keen on trying - IMO the biggest drawback to conventional sous vide is that it's a wet environment but I'm wondering if constantly circulating air will help promote a crust on proteins while still keeping it from overcooking. I'm sure the temperature won't be quite as precise as the water method, but it'll be fun to experiment.

Anyway, if you're considering induction, don't wait.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

smackfu posted:

So the idea of sous vide is that you put stuff in 150 degree water and eventually it entirely comes up to 150, rather than heating the outside at 450 until the inside is 150.

Does that really work with air?

Sure, it'll work with air, just take a lot longer due to the much lower thermal capacity of air compared to water.

Reading a bit more on the "air sous vide", you're supposed to bag the items just like you would with traditional sous vide. Probably to avoid turning the outside of a protein into jerky.

Makes me wonder about food safety, depending on how long this process takes. Probably gimmick after all.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

What's the go to for induction nonstick pans these days? Most of the recommended ones I see are aluminum and won't work with induction.

When we bought our induction range from Costco it came with an induction-capable nonstick set from Anolon. The walls of the skillets are a little bit too steeply angled in my opinion but that's a minor quibble and they function just fine.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

I have a breville toaster oven but my sister is offering me a cuisinart toaster oven that has an air fryer feature for free. What do you guys think

Hell no

Dubious "air fryer" feature (which I don't think is nearly as functional as a dedicated air fryer, similar to my fancy oven's crummy "air fryer" feature) in exchange for an inferior-in-all-ways toaster oven? Thanks but no thanks.

I loooooooove my Breville toaster oven and feel strongly about it

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I upgraded to an LG LSIL6336F when we redid our kitchen this year and I'm absolutely enamored. The cooktop itself has physical knobs on the front of the range, and the oven is touch control with a number pad and whatnot but that's pretty much how all my stoves have been since forever. The only thing I've had to get used to is that one of the knobs on the front is what's used to select bake/roast/convection/etc instead of pressing a button but I got over that pretty quickly.

Induction cooking kicks major rear end, and the oven performs beautifully; nearly everything I've cooked has finished cooking on the lower end of given time estimates in a recipe, it preheats quickly (and runs the fan while doing so even if it's just on bake setting so it's even preheating), and the included probe thermometer that plugs into a socket inside the oven worked a treat on the leg of lamb I cooked to midrare.

My one complaint is that the air fry setting isn't nearly as "violent convection" as a dedicated air fryer is, but it does...okay. Luckily, I already had a dedicated air fryer before I got it so the feature is somewhat wasted on me.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Discussion Quorum posted:

Our current rental has a double oven (full-size built-in, non-convection), and I also have a mini convection toaster oven. Most of the time that I'm bringing the lower oven into play, it's for something that's just a bit too big for the toaster oven, which can't quite fit a quarter sheet pan.

When we buy a house, my vote for the appliance budget will be one full-size oven and a larger toaster oven, both with convection.

Breville Smart Oven, being the best toaster oven (with convection!) ever made, accommodates a quarter sheet pan and is used in my household for 90% of oven duties.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I bought the Chef'sChoice Trizor XV electric knife sharpener a couple years ago and haven't looked back. Dead easy, puts a good edge on the knife, has three levels of grit so you can clean up knives that don't need a full re-sharpen. Your knife's not going to split atoms after you use it, but in terms of effort:return it's unbeatable imo.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I have gold (2 oz.) and while it performs absolutely flawlessly and I'll never need another ice cream scoop, I honestly wish the scoops were just a tiiiiiiiiny bit larger. Go Green.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

It sounds like you're sold on induction, as you should be, and I know you were looking for things it can do other than boiling water, but man. Let me just tell you. Setting down a pot of cold water and having it come to a rolling boil in like three minutes is just SO satisfying.

The responsiveness is excellent, too. Not like radiant electric that takes forever to cool down to a lower temp after you turn the knob - you want it on lower heat? Turn the knob and it's instantly there once the pan itself bleeds away any excess heat.

I will never go back.