Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

This one? I'm trying not to pull the trigger...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Why not just a 5 gallon bucket?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

This. The grind is a little on the rough side compared to my old one but it outputs like 3-4 times as much.

This, except get the 9 incher so that if someone ever asks for the pepper, you can bang it down on the table and say "This model is called the magnum. I dont know if it's a better pepper grinder or dildo"

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I just got a Bosch Universal mixer. I've made triple and quadruple batches of everything and it's amazing :kimchi:

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

My, I think 11 cup, Cuisinart dies on hummus and a few other things. I've learned to just not use a food processor but need to just get that 14 cup.

My DLC-10S Pro 7 cup handles hummus fine and does 2 pounds of bread dough no problem. If I do 3 batches of dough the thermal override shuts it off on the third batch if I'm not cautious about kneading times

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Never. Plastic 4 lyfe.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I have the Bosch and I love it.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Get an eclectic mix from goodwill so that each piece is unique but vaguely related, either by color palette or theme. I love it.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Are all cheap pasta rollers functionally equivalent? I make raviolis a couple times in the winter, that's it. I have a hard time imagining that I'll make fresh pasta so much more frequently if I have a roller.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I don't know if the Ankararsrum is worth the price premium but I do know the Bosch is

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Get a cheaper bernzomatic than the one suggested above and use the money you saved on something extravagant, like gold leaf.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I hardly use mine at all - mostly for hummus. What else should I be making?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

barkbell posted:

That looks exactly like my dealer's from college. It has some pretty bad reviews tho, maybe that's why he used it.

Everything is made in China. Any .01g scale from Amazon - especially ones you can calibrate - will get you close enough for any non-crazy modernist cuisine stuff

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 26, 2020

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

If/When this all blows over, membership in the Kansas City Barbeque Society ($40/year) includes several Restaurant Depot day passes. I was considering it briefly before I found a supply shop near me that was open to the public.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

VelociBacon posted:

Probably better to use a food mill but noone has mentioned gnocchi yet so I'll be the goon to tell you to buy a ricer so you can more easily make gnocchi every day of your life.

I made gnocchi at work once and you are describing hell

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I store my flour in food grade 5 gallon buckets which cost $7 at the restaurant supply store. Home Depot's web page says the homer buckets aren't food grade, but they sell Leaktite brand food safe ones for almost the same amount of money (here). You can also snag 4 or 8 qt Cambros for not too much money, they were discussed as being reasonably priced from supply stores in one of the GWS threads recently, maybe the bread thread, but they're also only reasonably priced when you amortize the cost over several years. If you're using regular ziplock bags from the grocery store, I expect those are safe enough and enough of a buffer that they count as safety insulators for any unsafe outer container. Preppers use special mylar bags with oxygen absorbers, but they are expensive and I think uncalled for here. Are you near Burlington? The restaurants have to buy their equipment from somewhere, maybe they will just give or sell you some fish tubs for super cheap?

Edit: 10 pounds of flour is just about 2 gallons. You could just get a single box of 2 gallon ziplock bags and be done with it.

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 17, 2020

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Putty posted:

Looking for recommendations on some equipment:

- A good dehydrator. The one I previously had was one of those plastic ring towers that you stack and cleaning that was horrible. Looking to spend more for a better machine that'll be good for dehydrating everything and have racks that are easy to clean in a dishwasher.

- A good pizza steel for making a 12 inch pie. I have no knowledge on this at all except that steels are better at conducting heat for the home oven compared to a stone.

You want a horizontal dehydrator. Excalibur makes good plastic ones, but to a large degree the expensive things are a brand name and a stainless exterior. All of them are just an electric heating element, a fan, and some racks. Digital temperature control might be something you care about, but really, just look for something with stainless racks and you should be good to go?

For a pizza steel, you want A36 hot rolled steel, like this one. If you are only going to make a few pies at a time, get a 1/4" thick steel. If you are going to have extended pizza parties, get 3/8". Look for metal shops near you for in person pricing, A36 sheet/plate is super easy to find. If it has mill scale on it, soak it in vinegar for a few days, give it a good soapy scrub, and then a single coat of oil like you would season cast iron.

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 22, 2020

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Also I need a pizza peel. How hard is it to launch a pizza with a metal peel? I dont have a lot of room in my kitchen for one of each and also trying to save money.

I only have a metal one and its fine for up to ~60% hydration, haven't gone higher. Plenty of flour and semolina are key.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I grew up using a kitchen that was... functional. I've been living on my own for 15 years. I just started using a whisk in the last 6 months :aaaaa:

I think I'm going to buy a few more.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Look at this pleb who has knives that aren't nice :smuggo:

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Yes and yes. I've been using the same $15 coffee grinder for the last 10 years.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

If you don't put on a full rain suit before doing dishes you're doing it wrong

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I use delitainers for leftover storage almost exclusively. My housemates, however, do not, and I can't deal with an entire drawer full of mismatched lids and bases anymore. Can someone recommend a decent set of tupperware that ideally has only a few lid sizes?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Smoothies out of ice and/or frozen fruit demands a blender. Juicers are for, like, carrot juice and kale juice and the like

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I have that same Krups grinder, or an almost identical one. I purchased it 10 years ago and it still gets the job done.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Lawnie posted:

Do... do you use an electric coffee/spice grinder for weed?
It's useful if you're baking edibles. It's kind of overkill for smoking personal quantities.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

1redflag posted:

You’ll almost never go wrong with oxo imo. They make unitasker poo poo you don’t need for sure (avocado slicer), but most of the day to day stuff is solid

Agreed. I thorougly enjoyed this writeup of the history behind the Oxo peeler

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Eeyo posted:

Well this has probably been asked several times, but any recommendations for bulk storage of dried goods (flour, pasta, beans)?

Delitainers and square cambros?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Maigius posted:

What are the currently recommended stand mixers?

Bosch or Ankarsrum if you're really into bread

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Are there decent 240v 2 burner induction cooktops? I'm probably going to move into an apartment with an electric stove and I dont want to use it. This way I could take advantage of the 240v plug that's already there instead of using the one other (?) 120v circuit. Duxtop only makes 120v as far as I can tell.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I need a 6-8 quart pot and an 8" saute pan that are induction friendly. What's the frequently recommended brand?

This tax is even better because it's a stock photo

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 25, 2021

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

A radial arm saw

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I was coming here to ask about toaster ovens too, but I only want to spend like $100. Are there any budget-conscious recommendations?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I found a convection Breville on my local Craigslist for under $100 and another one on an auction site.

I'll get a Breville. And either budget be damned or keep looking until I snag a cheaper used one.

Thanks goons.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Guyver posted:

My kitchen scale died and I don't feel like buying one online are there any brick and mortars that sell something like an ozeri pronto?

I didn't see any I'd want in the walmart near me.

When (if?) my Oxo dies I'm getting a MyWeigh Maestro. It was designed by Ruhlman and has gotten overwhelmingly positive reviews.

This doesn't answer your question, though.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

prom candy posted:

I've seen a few people online saying deli containers are great for pantry and fridge organization, but is it really safe to put hot food in these and also throw them in the dishwasher?

Some delitainers are not polypropylene (PP recycling #5). Those are not safe at high temperatures. PP can be pressure cooked, it's totally safe* to put delitainers made of PP in the dishwasher or microwave

*we live in a capitalist hell world, FDA standards may not align with your personal beliefs, etc.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Nm

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 24, 2021

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

It's been a bit since we talked about spice jars, so let's talk about my spice jars. This is my current setup - an assortment of reused and recycled jars, repurposed and mostly accurately labeled, stored in stadium seating. It's not terrible, but I'm pretty sure it's not ideal. I want them to stay in that cabinet. Any good suggestions?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Peugeot wins on aesthetics and fine grind. Magnum wins on having a dildo name and volume of ground pepper per turn. I have a magnum and have been using it for about 10 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

If I was going to have a pepper mill that lived on the table, it would probably be a Peugeot