Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
The chefalarm has a timer and can keep track of min/max temps. The biggest functional difference would be if you need a low temp alarm, like if you're monitoring food holding or if you're worried about your sous vide machine crapping out and ruining something.

If your use case is really just, when is my food at temp, which is 99% of the time, just get the DOT. I have one, it's not cheaply made or anything, it's totally solid, it just does one single thing well.

That said, the chefalarm comes with the bigger/longer 90 degree probe instead of the little straight probe. And I ended up buying one of those anyway and like it better (extra 15 bucks or so), which almost makes up for the price difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

bird with big dick posted:

That said, I just sent mine in for repair and it seems like they just ship you a new one. They even tell you to keep your accessories as spares.

Speaking of repairs/service, How is your anova chamber vac holding up?

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Boy I bought a few of the Oxo nonstick pans/pots that are recommended and am supremely disappointed. The lids all trap disgusting water in the edge and can't be cleaned. In fact one of them started bubbling THROUGH the lid while boiling a little water for some pasta.

They're nearly as bad as the Calphalon patented Sewage Trough (tm) in every Calphalon lid! Try it today! After one cook, it'll never be clean again, guaranteed!

Why is this so loving difficult?

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I don't think I've ever seen nonstick with a solid metal lid though. Maybe I can find some generic metal lids that would fit, I'll have to measure them exactly.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Other than that $1500 Breville, has there ever been any manufacturer that actually puts a decent sized induction coil in their stoves? Every picture I've seen of a flour heat test on induction is like a 5" circle in the middle of a 12" pan.

I don't think I've ever seen a picture of an induction burner on a real stovetop actually heating the whole pan, at any price. Even if you had 10,000 dollars to spend on a stove I don't know if you could buy one with an actual 10-12" coil for a full size pan.