Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Get a kitchen aid. Unless you're going to make bread once a week in which case get the bosch universal mixer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Chef's answer is always "get the thing I use in the restaurant" which sometimes works well for home and sometimes doesn't :p

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Nah, but you're gonna get a good forearm workout without one.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

The Bron is a pretty cleverly designed machine safety wise, but is extremely terrifying if you don't spend some time getting to know what the designers had in mind. The manual is not a lot of help.

Oh by the way I found it at bed bath and beyond for $150. After a 20% off coupon it was $120 subtotal

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jan 12, 2016

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Flash Gordon Ramsay comes from a family of mimes

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I could see why some people who know nothing about cooking and are terrified of setting their steak on fire would want a robot pan that told them when their food was done. It's like having training wheels on your bike to make sure your bike doesn't tip over or wearing water wings to make sure you don't drown.

Not that I'd recommend it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hey but I also want to watch tv while I'm making a steak. A thermapen won't beep at me when my steak is done

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Thirding the EZ Duz It.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I got cheapo pepper grinders with ceramic mechanisms. Ceramic should stay sharp longer than steel, right? One of them cracked already.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You know how last year moscow mules became a big fad and then all of a sudden there was a surplus of mule mugs and now all the kitchen stores are littered silly with mule mugs, even though moscow mules were originally decades old?

Same thing with making vegetable spirals and spaghetti.

I'm not sure who decides what old things become new fads.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I like Oxo's because the motion of pushing down on it helps keep it stationary and centered.

Plus it has a little brake. It doesn't work well, but whatever.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 19, 2016

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Probably not a concern, water and steam are pretty awesome at distributing heat evenly.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

I decided I wanted to turn my lodge pans smooth. I bought a wire cup brush for my drill and I've been going to town on this pan but other than taking off the seasoning, it doesn't seem to be wearing down the surface much. Is there a better tool? Do i need an oscillating grinder and one of those gnarly metal discs?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

His Divine Shadow posted:

I used a big rotary sanding pad. I did this 5 years ago I think and IMO my pan afterwards has performed much, much better than before the procedure.

Do they make them for drills or do I need to buy a different tool

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I can get an angle grinder or oscillator for $45 at harbor freight, not bad considering I can also use it for sanding the scale layer off my baking steel

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Blendtecs started showing up at TJ Maxx and Marshalls for $200

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Anyone wanna recommend a brand of food mill?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I wanna buy a tart tin. Should I get metal or nonstick.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Julienning requires a lot more force on any mandolin, which requires a hand guard, and that's where the benriner kinda sucks, its hand guard sucks.

Option A: hold the carrot diagonally so that your hand is safely above the blade

Option B: use a kitchen towel to hold the carrot

Try not to use silverware to clear stuff out of the blades, you might nick or dull the blades which will then cause you to require MORE force to push a vegetable through. Use a wooden toothpick instead.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 28, 2016

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hey, restaurant kitchens use towels all the time

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Pork bones and fat are perfectly fine.

You could transfer it to a smaller pot and be fine.

Personally I would return it for an anodized one because I am an uptight nerd and I'd be worried about that one hypothetical time that I might cook a giant stock with acid even though such a day has not come yet.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Instructions say to hand wash.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
What's your oven make/model? There are a lot of appliance parts resellers who sell odds and ends like oven racks for specific models.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Are oven racks a standard size?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/

This is where I got refrigerator shelves and blender blades for discontinued appliances, but look around several places.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah if you don't care about accessories like vacuum jars just get the cheapest consumer vacuum you can, they all basically perform the same at their main job: vacuuming bags about 75-85% and sealing them.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Depends, because usually when there's a temperature limitation on stainless steel cookware it's because of either A) plastic knobs/handles or B) because of glass lids. The metal part of the pan itself can go much higher before warping starts to become a concern in some cases.

If you have plastic knobs/handles, you're stuck with that temperature limitation, but if you have glass lids you can buy a cheap all-metal universal lid and cook with it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Tri-ply is sort of The Great Equalizer, because even cheap tri-ply pans perform relatively well compared to All-Clad pans

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Cooks Illustrated did a review and they highly recommend the RSVP Endurance seafood scissors (runner up: Fox Run Stainless Steel Shrimp Scissors). They seem to think deveiners suck.

There's also this thing which they said worked pretty well but thought was overpriced:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AtZ2yOUIOg

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Which is fine if you're serving Asians, but, you know... Americans (myself included)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I get them at Ralph's (Kroger), and they're nice because they have caps that are attached to the nozzles. Also they have very thin holes, so you can cut them to whatever width holes you want for whatever viscosity you need

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Rounded is more versatile, BUT the chinois style does have its uses because it has slightly more surface area than the rounded kind, and is slightly better for straining things that get clogged easily (like stocks)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I think my chinois has two layers of mesh. It strains finer particles out than any of my rounded ones.

Isn't that a bitch to clean though?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Point taken.

So after having used it for a few months I just really hate the rail-guided hand guard that comes with the Bron mandolin. It only seems to work well with making short slices like coins and sucked at French fries and lengthwise juliennes. I bought the after-market free hand guard for $35. A bit pricey but it works way better. If you're thinking of buying a Bron, see if you can buy one that comes with the black plastic hand guard instead.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
They're great to use but I get annoyed with having to wash them. I would put a rubber glove over it to keep it from getting food stains and therefore avoid having to wash it, but that got a little annoying too.

edit:

Anyone want a used, good-as-new food pusher for their Bron slicer? $50 shipped.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 26, 2016

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a spiralizer? I looked back a few pages and didn't find anything (besides a few goons dismissing it as a fad :ohdear:)

Do NOT get one of those lovely knockoff handheld spiralizer things. I got one for $6 (not even a Vegetti) and it A: made flat, not square noodles, and B: crushed the cells too much so there was a lot of water leakage out of the product.

I haven't used a Vegetti™ brand one so I don't know if it's any better.

Anne Watley uses one of these and says it works well:
http://www.amazon.com/Microplane-Sp...lane+spiralizer

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I say go for it. Most recipes are going to be written for the smaller bowl size anyways.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You're fine with the Benriner if you use a cut-proof glove with it. I think the hand guard it comes with is really annoying. You can continue to use it for the rest of your life and be happy with it; my mom has been using hers for 30 years and has never sharpened it once.

If you pay more for mandolines, they usually come in a shape that comes with legs, which allows a lot of sliced vegetables to pile up beneath them. Nicer ones will also come with a handy hand guard. These are not must-haves.

In the OP we also have recommendations for the Swissmar Borner ($40):
http://www.amazon.com/Swissmar-Born...swissmar+morner

And the Bron ($140):
http://www.amazon.com/Original-Stainless-Steel-Mandolin-Slicer/dp/B0001BMZ38/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446687652&sr=8-1&keywords=bron+slicer

I think some Bed Bath and Beyonds carry the Bron for $150 so if you use a 20% off coupon, you can get one for $120. Keep in mind however that the hand guard is really inconvenient if you're not doing crosswise slices of hand-sized vegetables, so you should think about either getting the much nicer plastic hand guard for $30 or using a cut-proof glove.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 18, 2016

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
http://www.cuttingboard.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I'm curious what this magical board was