Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Aramoro posted:

How often do you guys power go out? Feels like a really niche concern but do you just have a really unstable grid in your area or something?

It rains hard for one week out of the year in Los Angeles, and usually that means one annual power outage that lasts 1-8 hours in my area

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Good lord what a steal

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Mom realized she never used this thing anymore so she dumped it on me.

Is it good or would I be better off kneading by hand and baking in the oven

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Eezee posted:

Does anyone still use stovetop pressure cookers and have a recommendation? I don't see the electric variant really adding anything (besides bulk), so I'm thinking about going the low tech route.

So far the brands I have on my radar are Kuhn Rikon and Fissler.

Dave Arnold made a big deal ten years ago about closed-system pressure cookers having much more onion flavor than open-system pressure cookers. I have not done side by side tests to confirm and gave away my open system pressure cooker already. I believe him but at the same time he might have more sensitive tastebuds than most people. He also says lime juice is at peak flavor 4 hours after juicing and as for myself I can’t tell if lime juice is fresh or a day old

Kuhn Rikon is closed. But then again so are Instant pots! AFAIK all other stovetop pressure cookers are open system.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yea

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kHZ1Z6vjnE

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
My thermapen finally gave up the ghost after 10 years of faithful service. I suspect hand washing it might’ve done it. It was a splash-proof model, but I figured a hand wash couldn’t hurt. Maybe I was wrong.

Anyways what’s the recommended model I should replace it with? I see a new one called The One that claims a one second read time

Edit: looks like they’re doing a discount that makes it cheaper than the other models, guess that makes my decision for me

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 15, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Would they replace my old one out of warranty?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I think you can set up a robot coupe to chop and spit out into an external bowl, unlike most processors which keep chopping the food until you tell it to stop

This allows for uniform pieces

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Now that I think about it there should be a consumer food chopper that does “chop once and spit out” so you can get uniform onion and carrot dice

Closest I’ve seen is an $800 Waring

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

fr0id posted:

How well could I get by for a couple years buying a $40 Oster blender, and maybe a $200 cuisinart food processor? Especially if I like to make bean purées or doughs or lots of salsas

Get any cheap piece of poo poo blender now for cheap, save up for a Costco sale on a vitamix down the line

A $200 processor you can probably keep for life or until it breaks

Dough you probably want a mixer for

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You have Lodge pans in the UK, it’s relatively cheap and pretty much the standard for the last 50 years in the US

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Well poo poo

My old thermapen started working again just as my new one arrived

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Should I:

Give away old thermapen

eBay it

Keep it as a backup

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Omega has a bunch of vertical masticating juicers. Anyone know how they compare to the horizontal dildo machines?

Edit: YouTuber seems to think it’s annoying as hell

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j2npqDAPajM&pp=ygUmb21lZ2EgdmVydGljYWwgc2xvdyBtYXN0aWNhdGluZyBqdWljZXI%3D

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 22, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If it’s peeling, that probably means you coated it too thick when you did the initial seasoning. Make sure to wipe off as much as you can after coating it each time you put on a layer

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Thermapen One review:

Eh

It says it takes one second to get a temp, but it’s more like 3-4 seconds. But I guess that’s better than previous Thermapens that claimed to take 3 seconds and actually took 6-7 seconds

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
What is the ideal zeroll size

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

Duh, of course not. Biggest variables are staff training (making that perfect Zeroll curl takes some practice), ice cream density (my ice cream is so rich that we get a five oz scoop out of the 4 oz scoop), and ice cream hardness/temp.

The last one isn't a problem at home (one flavor, you can take it out and let it sit as long as you need to), but balancing 32 flavors in 2 cases is a bitch, as the freezing point varies by flavor. It varies based on sugar content, fat content, and the inclusions. One case is set 2 degrees higher than the other, so we have warmer flavors and cooler flavors, and then you have warmer and cooler locations in the cases... in the end only about 2/3s are at the right temp, and about 1/3 are always a little too hard or too soft.

This sounds like an anime about ice cream scooping

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I dunno wouldn’t that chip away at the oxidized layer that protects it from corrosion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
That’s very pretty