Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lol they tried to make customers slice their own bread in the machine at a whole foods I went to and gave up on it within a couple of months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

emdash posted:

i still love the Tojiro DP

:same:

a recent development is that they now make a bolsterless version that is cheap enough to be competitive with victorinox for an entry-level knife

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tojirodpa1.html

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

the most evil item they sold was an instant pot branded slow cooker which looked very similar to and cost almost as much as the actual pressure cookers

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

mystes posted:

If it's bagged what is the advantage over just doing it in water?

I guess just that you don't have to fill the sous vide bucket and have it taking up space on your countertop the entire time. Also, the current-generation Anovas are really loving loud with an annoying medium-pitched whine I can hear throughout most of my house

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Eezee posted:

Kuhn Rikon makes one that I find the most enjoyable to use. It is however made of cheap plastic and the blade is not stainless steel, so it rusts if you leave it wet. The extremely sharp blade makes up for that though. And its 5eur here. There are probably cheaper sources than Amazon in the US.

https://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-2781-Original-4-Inch/dp/B000H7O3QS/?th=1

looks like there's a more expensive version with a metal handle. I thought to look for it because their garlic press is same way

https://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Swiss-Peeler-4-Inch/dp/B0089KFZ6W

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

shocking that penzeys would deliberately alienate the people who think mayonnaise is a spice

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

what do you use the microwave for now? I haven't had one for like ~20 years. I think the only thing it is truly necessary for is frozen burritos

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I'm glad I've never run any of my silicone poo poo through the dishwasher :barf: I did run into the flavor retention thing when my girlfriend used a silicone ice cube tray to make little peanut butter popsicle things for the dogs

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

is that a bellman milk steamer? the biggest problem I ran into with a duxtop was that my moka pot was too small to work with it and that looks roughly the same size as a moka pot

(the duxtop whines less than my frigidaire induction range :negative:)

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

my moka pot is stainless, ~15 years old, and I was pleasantly surprised when I tried it on an induction cooktop and it worked

remember back when people thought aluminum cookware might cause alzheimers? lmao :corsair:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

What's the go to for induction nonstick pans these days? Most of the recommended ones I see are aluminum and won't work with induction.

I have a t-fal with a metal handle that's pretty good. Pretty sure it's this thing: https://www.amazon.com/T-fal-ProGrade-Thermo-Spot-Dishwasher-Induction/dp/B01ER18KUE

e: though when it dies I'll probably be trying out something like this instead of more teflon:

Steve Yun posted:

Oxo’s preseasonsed carbon steel skillet is reportedly slippery enough to serve as a nonstick

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 13, 2023

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I think the anova smart oven is the next step up and the cuisinart is the next step down

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

If you buy a knockoff version of something these days, the pictures on aliexpress won't have the fake corporate logo but the item you receive will. It's kind of funny if you legitimately just wanted some cheap polarized sunglasses

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is there a recommendation for an induction-capable 10" nonstick skillet that's especially not prone to warping? I have an All-Clad* that's great but it's pretty warped on the bottom after just 1 year of use.

*I say it's an All-Clad, but i got it for like $20 at a HomeGoods so I wouldn't be surprised if it was either a counterfeit or a factory reject or something like that.

Recommending this t-fal again. Mine is still perfectly flat after several years, though obviously I never blast it at extreme heat because of the teflon

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

yeah, a dedicated rice cooker will make better rice than an instant pot, which also has the problem of how the gently caress do you make rice to go with the curry you're making in the instant pot

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

kreeningsons posted:

Yes salt grinders are sort of superfluous but have you considered that the manual tells me the sight of it “evokes all the inspirations of today and tomorrow, and embodies the French art of living”, the sound of “teeth chiseled of a precision mechanism releases flavor and announces an experience of taste” and the tactile feel “attests to expert craftsmanship and ergonomics [that part’s a lie] while awakening the senses”.

Does a simple salt shaker awaken the senses and announce the experience of taste? Didn’t think so :smug:

You're right, that $50 french salt pig doesn't have overwrought ad copy

quote:

An original tool to keep on your countertop, our salt pig enables you to add salt to your dishes quickly and easily. Its non-glazed interior stops your sea salt sticking together. All Emile Henry products are made in France and offer a ten years guarantee.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

For cheap induction cooktops you can buy on amazon, it looks like this was recommended last time the topic came up:

https://www.amazon.com/NuWave-Precision-Induction-Cooktop-Ceramic/dp/B01CHB1Y22?th=1

I have a duxtop and it's fine but this one whines less and will work with smaller pans

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Stalizard posted:

Which food processor is best? I know the rule of thumb is "Cuisinart with >12 cup bowl" but I don't know which one is The One. It doesn't need to do anything special, just blend and pulse. My wife has finally come around on hummus and I'm keen to celebrate

this one:

https://www.cuisinart.com/shopping/appliances/food_processors/dfp-14bcny/?item_list_id=Category+Page&item_list_name=Food+Processors&index=6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

just borrow an angle grinder and consider the handle length customizable