Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Mortar and pestle is great for pesto as well. I'm allergic to pine nuts so I haven't tasted that much pesto out of a jar, but my gf swears the home smashed is miles apart. Being able to make it with toasted sunflower seeds instead of pine nuts is worth the space the mortar takes alone for me. Very coarse ones are good for old school guacamole, baked paprika, etc. Slightly coarse ones are better for spice as the coarsest ones will trap bigger fragments of the spice. Smooth marble ones are completely useless and trying to grind even a dozen peppercorns in it will drive you mad.

Spice storage in jam/jelly jars. I'm a sucker for this, recycling, money saving and practical use in one. Instead of buying dedicated jars, wash out used jars, use them to store whole spices, seeds, etc. They are not 100% air tight, but plenty tight enough as they either have a flexible pot metal lid or an actual plastic gasket. A tiny finger coat of sunflower oil or even water helps get the best seal.
I also have a small jar I use for dressings and vinaigrettes. Oil, vinegar and spices into the jar, :flashfap: for 6 seconds, thick, lovely fluid pours over your tossed salad.

Transmetropolitan posted:

Wise goons, what do you think about rice cookers?

Although very few people use a setup like that now, I still use a rice cooker + an external PID controller to do sous vide. So if you're interested in that, it's an argument in favor of getting a non-smart rice cooker. I've also used it as a bain-marie, making bearnaise sauce in a steel bowl heated by the temp controlled rice cooker water. Less chance of temps running away and a causing a scrambled egg disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I wouldn't spend that amount on a cast iron skillet. It's the sledgehammer of the kitchen, it doesn't need fancy enamel. I'd go for the Ikea one or similar, spend the money you save on wine and steak for the frying pan initiation rites.

e: f, it takes about as long to heat up as I do writing a post

Ola fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 9, 2015

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The Something Offal kitchen equipment thread - Just go to IKEA