Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yo, one-day deal on KitchenAid Pro stand mixers at Amazon, $250 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...CX8EY93V1YAHFG7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
We were given a chopper as a gift, one like this: https://www.oxo.com/chopper-228

I don't really like to return gifts, and they know we cook and it was a sweet thought, but I am thinking I have knives and I know how to use them and these don't really give you a consistent size. Am I right or do people feel strongly that these are a valuable time saver when you're tired?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Glambags posted:

I'm in the market for a food processor. I like the Cuisinart models but I'm wondering what size people recommend for general use. 7 cup? 9? 14?

Rule of thumb is "biggest you can afford," because you can make small things in big bowls but not vice versa. I have a 9-cup Cuisinart, because I ignored that rule. Mostly it's fine. Once in a blue moon it feels limiting.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
If anyone is sale-watching for a KitchenAid stand mixer, if you have Amazon Prime, it looks like the 6-quart pro bowl lift model is $249 on Amazon today only as part of Prime Day.

EDIT: It looks like they're doing that dumb flash deal thing so it may not be all day -- get on it fast if you want it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
If you like to bake, buy the poo poo out of a KitchenAid stand mixer. It's expensive but it's one of the best things I've ever bought. I like to bake but I wouldn't bake nearly as much as I do without my KA. But unless you need it urgently, wait for a sale. It'll be close to $100 less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I am gift-shopping for my nephew who likes to cook, I consulted his girlfriend and he has mentioned wanting a salt cellar. I don't own one but have previously gifted a wooden Crate & Barrel one with a swivel lid and magnet to my mother-in-law, so I would like to get a different one; I also found the magnet fell out of that one within a week, so I am skeptical of that design generally, which a lot of similar looking ones have. Seeking recommendations. My criteria are as follows:

• This is part of a holiday gift exchange in which each person is assigned one person to give a gift. We are supposed to stick to a budget of about $25. So far the one I like is $35 and I am hoping to convince my wife to get it anyway unless someone has a better suggestion.
  • Must have a lid, and that lid must be attached and fit well enough to keep salt from clumping and other stuff from getting in. So nothing with a spoon that goes through the lid -- don't need a spoon at all etc.
  • Must be open-able with one hand. There are some weird reviews on some of them where they have a handle and they want to be able to hold the handle and open the lid with the same thumb; I do not care about that, I assume the salt cellar will stay on the counter, but I do want the lid to be secured in some way so that with one hand he can open the lid without it falling off, then reach in and get some salt, then close it. This is based on what I would want in a salt cellar, since sometimes you don't have two hands free. I do not particularly care what the mechanism is, but so far all the ones I've seen with attached lids are either a swivel or a hinged door.