Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We really should get a mod to close the other thread if this is now the official one.

Anyway...

Anyone have a rec for a food dehydrator? I want to make some jerky. I do not want to use a bunch of air filters and a box fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I bought a food dehydrator at WalMart and have eaten jerky meat out of it. Am I gonna die?

Well, was the jerky meat in it when you took it out of the box or did you make the jerky yourself

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I normally don't post unsolicited recommendations here but I got the Waring Pro double waffle maker for Christmas and I feel like I've finally found the holy grail of waffle makers. Waffles come out light and crisp on the outside. Being able to cook two at a time makes it actually useful for feeding the family. Cleanup is easy, and nothing sticks to the plates. Highly recommend.

Had oven-fried chicken tonight so I made cornbread waffles to serve with it. Turned out great.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It was a last minute decision, so I just used the recipe on the box, but added a little extra milk to make it thinner/lighter.

¾ cup corn meal
1 ¼ cup ap flour
¼ cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp kosher salt

Mix, then addd:
1 ¼ cup milk
¼ cup oil
1 egg, beaten

Stir just til combined. Batter will be lumpy blah blah blah

I used setting 4 ½ on this waffle maker. But I'm pretty sure these would have come out floppy/too moist in my old cuisinart waffle maker.

The beauty of it was I decided to make these with just 10 minutes until dinner was ready, and they were done just in time.

edit: The recipe called for a cup of skim milk. I used 1 cup of 2%, made the first two waffles, then added a little more milk to the remaining batter and made two more. Those two were the best, so the extra milk is reflected in the recipe above as close as I can guess.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I just bought a Waring Pro Single on Amazon. I've been craving waffles for months and Flash Gordon Ramsay's post pushed me over the edge.

Thanks, Flash Gordon Ramsay! :getin:

If you find something new to waffle, let us know. I've done brownies and the aforementioned corn bread in mine. I've heard of stuffing waffles, and hash brown waffles, but not tried those.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I make my pizza dough in a food processor.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can't stand how loud the Bron is. It's why I got rid of mine.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

You got a new mandoline because it was too loud? :wtc:

More or less. I mean I didn't seek out a new mandolin because it was loud, but when I had the chance to purchase something different I jumped at it because of that.

Cooking is how I relax. It is a peaceful endeavor. The clanging of the Bron mandolin is not compatible with that.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
$199 for a refurbished Kitchenaid 6 quart Pro lift bowl today on Woot. That is a really good price.

http://www.woot.com

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is the original manufacturer of the swing away. Same design, but heavy duty made in the US.

http://smile.amazon.com/EZ-DUZ--3028-Deluxe-Opener-Grips/dp/B0071OUJDQ/

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I used an angle grinder to get mine smooth. My electric drill just didn't have the power to do it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Do they make them for drills or do I need to buy a different tool

You can get them for drills. But your cordless drill may not have enough torque to get the job done. Mine certainly didn't (dewalt). YMMV

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

I can get an angle grinder or oscillator for $45 at harbor freight, not bad considering I can also use it for sanding the scale layer off my baking steel

It is very fulfilling when you find the right tool for it. oooh shiny

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have an 11 and a 14. The 11 is enough for 98% of what I do.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fart simpson posted:

I'm American and I don't mind it.

You eat shrimp poo.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Frankly, it's the grittiness that bothers me more than any taste.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

Seriously shrimp poop is just sand. Mmmm sand.

Also pancakes in a can spotted. (Upper left hand corner don't lie)

Quaker brand corn meal. You know, for corn bread waffles.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I replaced my electric pressure cooker with a stovetop model a year or two back. I like it a lot better, it's not as bulky and requires only a little more babysitting than an electric model.

My favorite thing to make in is risotto. From start to finish, you can make it in less than 30 minutes, maybe closer to 20 (only 6 of which is cooking at pressure).

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

rgocs posted:

Is it really risotto though? I thought you needed to add stock bit by bit and constantly stir to work the starch out of the rice and get the creamy texture.

Yep that's one if those kitchen myths. The starch that makes it creamy is on the outside of the rice grains and will thicken the risotto with or without constant stirring. Lots of folks have investigated this (including Kenji I believe).

My method for a basic risotto:

Sweat shallots in butter, add rice and toast just until you get a nutty smell. Deglaze with white wine, add twice as much stock as you did rice. Stir. Cover and bring to pressure. Cook at high pressure for 6 minutes then quick release pressure. Stir vigorously for a minute and add grated Parmesan and butter, season to taste. Keep on heat if it's too thin or add stock if it's too thick.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think my chinois has two layers of mesh. It strains finer particles out than any of my rounded ones.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Isn't that a bitch to clean though?

Look man you either want a smooth sauce or you don't

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Flaggy posted:

Thinking about getting a pasta maker, was looking at this one, is this a good one or is there something better?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_i=desktop

The atlas is more or less the standard for hand cranked pasta makers.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This looks kind of cool. No idea what I'd use it for, but I want one.

http://gizmodo.com/this-1-800-super-accurate-hot-plate-probably-makes-som-1769625846

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hed posted:

Now that the (former CI favorite) Whynter SNO ice cream maker is discontinued, what is the top self-refrigerating maker on the market?

(Before anyone says Liquid N2 + VitaMix, this one isn't for me)

I have the discontinued Cuisinart ICe 50BC that I'm happy with. Apparently the replacement is the Cuisinart ICE-100. The Amazon reviews seem good.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a knockoff steel egg that I love. The real deal would be even better, but this has served me well.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Shortening is all I season with. Just have the pan warmed up a little and it's easy to apply a super thin coat.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PDP-1 posted:

Are there any temperature monitors that have a probe that goes inside the oven with long-ish leads that extend to a monitor outside the oven? Jabbing a ThermaPen into a wad of meat around the time you think things might be done is all cool and good, but having a continuous monitor that could maybe beep at you when the center of your wad of meat first hits some pre-set temperature would be ideal.

I have the DOT, which doesn't have all the extra poo poo that the ChefAlarm has that you will probably never use. But it's hard to go wrong with anything from Thermoworks.

http://www.thermoworks.com/DOT

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

I think you and I had the same problem where our cheap-o ones kept fluttering back and forth between F and C. Was that your replacement and you dig it?

Edit: Yeah this replaced that crappy thing. Should have done it way sooner.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

Super good deal Amazon has the Waring Pro WMK600 Double Belgian Waffle Maker on sale for $55.99 with free shipping. http://amzn.com/B0034JU9T6

Said it before, but for my money, this is the holy grail of waffle makers.

Edit: I didn't have enough baking powder this weekend so I subbed in buttermilk for some of the milk and added some baking soda. I also forgot the egg because I was too busy improvising with buttermilk. Kids said they were the best waffles they've ever had. Go figure.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sextro posted:

I mean. I like waffles, but am I responsible enough to have such a thing and not immediately start putting everything into it? Hmm.

My two favorite non waffle waffles are waffle brownies (needs lots of nonstick spray in my experience) and cornbread waffles (ridiculously good).

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to picture what a waffle reheated pizza would look like

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

angor posted:

Guys. Wafalafel. Make it happen. Let me live vicariously through you.

You could probably build a successful mall food court chain based on that name alone

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

1redflag posted:

Do I need a juicer if I already have a blender?

I make a lot of smoothies, but want to start making juice to bring with me to work (but would like to avoid buying another gadget if possible). Recipe would be something like an apple, lemon juice, spinach/kale, etc.

Depends on the blender, really. Something like a vitamix or blendtec will blend the fibre/pulp so fine that you won't notice it. Lesser blenders will give more mixed results. And if you're not happy with your blender's ability to deal with the pulp, I would be more inclined to buy a better blender than to buy a juicer.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

This is probably pretty simple, but does anyone have any non-plastic bottles they'd recommend for serving/storing sauces? I've started making my own hot sauces and keeping them in tupperware containers; not only is it annoying to have to get out a spoon and dollop the stuff out whenever I want some but the pepper residue stains the crap out of the plastic. Ideally I just want the same type of bottle that Frank's et al. are in, though I don't know if anyone just sells empty bottles like that.

https://www.amazon.com/Sauce-Clear-Glass-Dasher-Bottle/dp/B00GISK49A

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dammit I keep clicking on that Amazon link waiting for that mixer to go on sale, but it never does.

I've also started reading the Bread thread.

What's wrong with me? :cry:

Can't wait to see pictures of your smoked bread

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anova Precision Cooker on sale today for $149

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Anova-Precision-Cooker-WiFi-/201629220085?afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He wants a measuring cup. With measurements on it.

I think this is the same cup that came with my cuisinart stick blender.

Cuisinart CSB-77MC Mixing/Measuring Cup, 16 oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015RDHC1O/

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

rgocs posted:

It tried to fix my cast iron pan by seasoning what had burned off and I think it didn't quite work. I cooked some bacon the other day and it kept sticking to the pan. We almost never eat bacon (gasp!), so I might be wrong, but with all the grease I would've expected it not to stick.

I've said this a few times in this thread, but I think the "just cook bacon in it" is terrible advice for seasoning a pan. Bacon has sugar and other stuff in that can interfere with getting a good seasoning. I use crisco, but flax is probably the best option. The lazy goon way of cooking and eating a ton of bacon is fun, but will not give the indestructible seasoning you want.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thoht posted:

I'm not going to heat my oven up just to cook a couple pieces of loving bacon.

Hey look at this guy who cooks bacon 2 pieces at a time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Two pieces of bacon at a time? Microwaves? Might I suggest the perfect cookbook...