Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I'm trying to find some airtight (or really pantry-moth tight) storage containers for flour/sugar. I'd like ones with a flip-up lid hinged to the base for easy one-handed operation. I used to have some like this but I am having a really hard time anything like them large enough to hold a 5#bag of flour:

I have one of those for sugar and it holds all but about a cup of sugar from a standard sugar bag, which is maddening to me.

I used to have some oxo pop containers (whose lids could be removed one handed) that I really liked. The two I had were sized for a bag of flour and a bag of sugar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Most convection ovens give you radiant heat as well as convected heat, as the element is on the bottom. The air fryers I’ve seen have the element separated from the food so it only gets convected heat. I have no idea how those toaster ovens with air fryer functionality work, but they could possibly have another element on the back that is shielded with a fan blowing over it.

That said, even if the above is true, I can’t imagine the end result is that much different. You may just have to worry about burning on the bottom that you don’t with a true air fryer.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Best roast chicken I’ve made has been in a 16” round cast iron pan preheated in the oven. Spatchcock the chicken the night before, salt the skin and leave it uncovered in the fridge. When ready to cook, sear it breast side down in the cast iron, remove and add aromatics/root veggies to the pan the place the chicken on top and back in the oven. Cook to temp and rest. While resting, remove the veggies from the pan and make a gravy with what’s left.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I always have to keep 2025s and 2032s around. 10 packs are cheap.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fart Car '97 posted:

I doubt it, the trays are silicone and parchment would probably just stick to the fruit leather

Parchment is coated in silicone!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

My candy thermometer shattered in the sink. I could just go buy a new one of the same but then I thought "is there a goon approved candy thermometer I should look at first?"

I would go for one of the digital thermometers. Amazon has a selection but 90% of them look like the same device. No glass to break. I don’t see the one I have on there, but I imagine they are mostly the same.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve never seen soupy with the Creami. More often than not I have to spin things twice, but I’m also using my own recipes which could impact that. But soupy? Hell no.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve done that for smash burgers with my propane burner. Works great. Just be aware that since it doesn’t have sides, grease will run off, so protect what’s underneath.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would also add Tramontina to the cheap nonstick rec. And yeah, redo the pressure cooker part and specify that yes instant pot is good.

Also sadly my one year old ex duz it can opener is a piece of crap so I don’t what changed there.

But otherwise that’s a really thorough op. Never actually looked at it til now.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ham Cheeks posted:

The Vitamix looks good....are there any products like it that are less money?

Not that will blend like a Vitamix. Ninja makes a decent blender. But for the best performance Vitamix and maybe Blendtec are it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t think so. Some have automatic cycles but I’ve never felt like I needed handholding when using a blender.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I hate cooking rice in a pan, so looking at a rice cooker. There’s only 2 of us, is a 2.5 cup enough or should I go bigger? I’m in the UK so the options are a bit more limited and the usual recommendations don’t seem to apply.

Or should I just use an Instant Pot or something?

I have a 3 cup Zoji that makes more than enough for two people.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A 2.5 cup cooker should give you close to 4 cups of cooked rice which in most two person households should be plenty for dinner and then some leftover.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VelociBacon posted:

Which garbage can is that and do you like it? Desperately need a new one.

It looks like the SimpleHuman one I have. It good has pocket in the back for dispensing from the packs of bags. Their bags may be a little pricey, but they’re good bags.

Edit: Beaten.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I generally do 390. No, I don’t know why.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

I discovered that my vent hood is ducted after all, but that it ALSO vents back into the kitchen, so I put duct tape over the vent that goes back into the kitchen so now it’s just going into the duct

Now my question is does it need a charcoal filter if I’m just blowing it into the duct?

I’ve never seen one that blew both ways. Normally there is a baffle inside that you set that determines if it’s blowing into an exhaust hookup or back into the kitchen.

Shouldn’t need a charcoal filter but it should have one of those stainless mesh filters to trap oil so your duct doesn’t get fouled (as quickly). Sometimes those filters are combined.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You don’t need to spend a lot of money on a wok. Joyce Chen is fine or wok shop or any number of nameless brands found on Amazon. Decide if you want a wooden or metal handle and what size and go from there.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mean if you want to hold out for a pan with a straining lid, you do you. It’s going to limit your options though since, in my experience, those are limited to cheaply made sets. But if that’s what you like, do your thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I hardly ever find myself needing to drain fat or liquid off a pan (don’t cook with a lot of ground meats I guess?) but when I do I use tongs and a paper towel. Just drop the oily paper towel in a bowl next to the stove and keep on cooking.