Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I got a Benriner a few weeks ago and so far I'm happy with its ability to julienne the poo poo out of carrots, but I do have a few concerns.

I didn't buy the kind that comes with a tray, so I have to hold it up awkwardly over wherever I want the slices to end up. It's hard to hold and makes slicing kind of a pain. If I lay it flat, it gets stuck up pretty easily. Should I just get the tray or something?

Julienning things causes small slices to stop up the gap between the smooth blade and interchangeable blade. Every few slices, I have to stop and scrape it out with a fork or knife. Is this normal, or am I holding it wrong or something?

The fingat guard is total balls and just makes it harder to use. I feel wayyy too unsafe to cut up an entire carrot, so I end up leaving a nub left behind once it gets too small to handle comfortably.

Slicing gets tough occasionally. I have to add some force to get the veg to slice through sometimes. It was particularly bad with the outer surface of an onion, and I had to give up after a while. Why is this happening?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I suppose what I could do is leave the slicing to the Benriner, and just use a knife to julienne the stack of slices. But that's :effort: so kitchen towel it is!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh no, is J. Kenji Lopez someone I should be avoiding? His hard boiled eggs tips worked out well enough for me.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I don't have an outdoor grill. Will a grilling pan suffice? My parents had one and it worked well, but I don't know if it's a problem to use indoors due to smoke or whatever.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Subjunctive posted:

What do you want to use it for?

Smoke can definitely be an issue, but now much of an issue depends on what/how you're cooking, and the ventilation situation where you cook.

Probably just stuff like skirt steak and chicken thighs. Nothing major, at least not yet.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

baquerd posted:

You just mentioned two things that you cook in entirely different ways. Skirt steak wants blazing hot heat, chicken thighs need longer slower heat to properly give up their best.

The recipe book I've read advises pan-frying chicken thighs...though I haven't really been impressed by the recipes in it, anyway, and they're typically boneless-skinless. Maybe I'll reconsider what I'm doing.

Subjunctive posted:

Once you get a feel for the temperature so you aren't scorching everything, with decent ventilation you're probably OK. You can simulate it with a hot frying pan to test.

I'll try it out, then! When I get a grill pan, anyway.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I was under the impression that I should be grilling (high heat?) skirt steak due to it being a leaner cut of meat, and that's how my parents always did it, so I figured that's what I should do. Either way, I'll default to your experience.

As for chicken thighs, I have no idea - everything I see around that covers chicken thighs has it either boneless-skinless or still on the bone. This is the recipe I use for pan-fried chicken thighs. Is this not a good one?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Cavenagh posted:

Nothing wrong with that technique. I pan fry chicken thighs every week and do much the same. Except I don't bother wrapping the meat in cling film, as I want that skin to dry out which results in a better crisp, same as with any other cut. Also I don't trim away excess fat or use a non-stick, I do bone them out though as bones don't have magical flavour and save them for stock. Unless I want to gnaw bones that is. So it's salt thighs, dry them, heat up a pan, a little drizzle of oil to start, and place the thighs skin side down. The fat renders out of the thighs and so you're cooking them in their own flavour. I tend to grind pepper over them at this point. Wait until the thighs move without sticking and flip them. Again wait until the thighs are no longer sticking, and again it's where I grind pepper. If the skin isn't as crispy as I want I flip them back over. By then the fat from the chicken is generally quite substantial so it's a shallow fry. Temp it with a probe thermometer. If they're not ready, then either into an oven or keep flipping them until done. Thighs are very forgiving. Any other flavours come from herbs stuffed under the skin, a rub on skinless side (so spices don't burn too much as the skin side gets more cooking time generally, exception being blackened chicken), or a sauce of some kind.

Re: Grill pans. I have a long griddle pan that I exclusively use for Grilled Cheese as that's the only time I want the pretty grill marks. Don't care about them otherwise. Steaks go in a cast iron, unless it's charcoal grilling season. Which it is. Finally.

Sweet, thanks for the info! That's very similar to my process, though I buy boneless-skinless because I'm lazy and don't feel like deboning chicken thighs. I never felt like I was getting a bad result from pan-frying/sauteeing chicken thigh, just wasn't sure if it's what I'm "supposed" to do. I'll probably look into spices and rubs for the thighs from now on, I think that will help make them tastier.

A lot of cooking videos have people using stainless steel pots and pans instead of non-stick ones. Is that mainly just so you don't have to worry about setting them on high heat, or is there something related to fond/juices with regards to non-stick pans? I want to make this one-pot pasta recipe, but it uses a stainless steel pan, and I'm wondering if that's a problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxysE5M2GOw

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

If one-pot hamburger helper is the price I pay to be cooking for myself instead of snacking on 7/11 poo poo for sustenance, then bring on the helper :colbert:

There's nothing wrong with the technique in the video, and I trust that channel to know what it's doing. My question wasn't about the video, anyway - it was whether it's critical to have stainless steel pots and pans instead of non-stick, because I don't wanna spend more money than I have to.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'll look into getting stainless steel pans - I guess it's about time I invested in some.

I made some chicken curry today, with onions, coconut milk, curry powder, and crushed tomatoes :) It came out really well, and was a hit at dinner! I took the recipe from Mark Bittman's Mini Minimalist, and I'm really happy with it. I'm definitely making it again.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Didn't find any of those, it's mostly all Calphalon and Cuisinart.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Picked up one of these Calphalon sautee/saucepans for $25 at Marshalls. Decent deal. I'm gonna try cooking some leeks and chicken thighs in it :dance:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My oven's temperature setting is apparently(/probably) not very accurate, and I was wondering:is it worth trying to fix/calibrate it, or should I just skip to getting an oven thermometer? I was planning on getting a probe thermometer sometime anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My oven apparently sucks and I have to bring it to 375~400 in order to hit a 300 internal temperature. What's the recommended oven thermometer for making drat sure that it's at the right temperature?