Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm not a skilled cook, but I have been trying to improve over the years and going from non-stick to stainless steel has been night and day. I love cooking on stainless and things rarely stick. I do keep a small non-stick pan for eggs or anything else super delicate, though. It mostly just gets used for eggs.

Are you washing your pan between uses with soap and water and not seasoning them or something? I only use a scrub pad. Easy to clean, too. Just give it a pass when the pan is still hot, then another when it cools off washing it under hot water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Are Dutch Ovens as amazing as people say? I've never used one.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The water can get real hot and instantly turn to steam, burning you through the oven mitts.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It really is an amazing switch. Going from non-stick to All-Clad stainless pans was really what got me a lot more interested in being a better cook. Before that I was trying to learn a bit and just got sick of replacing lovely non-stick pans. Even on an electric it was like night and day.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I use a salt grinder, apparently like an idiot.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've used these before. They worked fine. I tried to clean them or put them in water right away, otherwise they were a pain to clean.

https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Breakfast-Sandwiches-Mcmuffin-Multicolor/dp/B07ZSCS4NB

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Doesn't your rice turn to mush? I rush to take rice out and spread it out to stop it from steaming.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Can second that. Happy with mine.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I mean, I feel like that would be pretty funny regardless.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I have one of these and I love it. Had it about 2-3 years now and it looks brand new.

https://www.all-clad.com/d5-stainless-polished-5-ply-bonded-cookware-nonstick-ultimate-egg-pan-9-inch.html

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I honestly couldn't tell you, only that I've been happy with it. I use my stainless pans for the vast majority of cooking and save that for eggs or other delicate things that don't need high temp. I have done stuff like melting sugar in it, etc., and it has been great. I'm by no means an expert in the topic, but switching from lovely non-stick pans that I went through every year to all-clad stainless with that as my only non-stick has been really great. Definitely opened up cooking quite a bit for me.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Look okay if it doesn't have 12 blades it's literally unusable as a razor.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

booooo

booooooooooooooo

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Whoreson Welles posted:

Is there a consensus on All-Clad D3 vs D5 or is it just preference between quicker response and safer, slower cooking?

I don't have an America's Test Kitchen account, but someone mentioned this a page or so back. I have their D5 and am happy with them, but if the D3 is just as good or better, then that's great.

therobit posted:

America’s test kitchen did not find much of a difference, other than in some cases 5 ply is actually worse than 3 ply.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm still just gobsmacked at the idea of cutting painters tape. What a monstrous suggestion.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Fart Car '97 posted:

I worked for chefs who required you to cut tape instead of ripping it and it gets its fingers into you. It is absolutely "a thing" in many fancy schmancy kitchens. Now I required it at the last place I ran and I'll continue to do so at any place I run in the future. No ripping. Get scissors or a knife.

I've never worked in a kitchen, but I have been a painter for a hot minute and the idea of cutting painters tape specifically just makes me laugh!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oh, so this isn't a bit? Carry on and sorry for the interruption.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Barkeeper's Friend, just make sure it works on the material.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Okay kitchen equipment thread. Those of you who broke down and got the Anova chamber vacuum, how do you like it? Especially versus your traditional vacuum sealers?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

mystes posted:

You've made three posts on SA and in two of them you're saying that it's time for a new thread 🤔

Seriously. Lurk more.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Those cheese boards with a wire will absolutely not hold up to 40 lbs of cheese. At least in my experience.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've been trying to figure this out on my own, but I'm coming up blank. Does anyone know if there's a large griddle that would work on an induction cooktop? I'm basically looking to get a plancha-type setup and it would be ideal if I could just use my stovetop. Thanks goons.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Shooting Blanks posted:

Maybe this guy?

There may be cheaper options, I just searched for "induction griddle plate"

I don't mind the cost. That one is interesting. It says several times in the description that it's not induction compatible, but the sole entry in the Q&A says it is. Might be worth a try. I was looking for something but bigger, but that's certainly not super small.

Thank you! Might be worth trying out.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 6, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Lodge has a big cast iron griddle that should work on an induction top.

I think you might be referring to the one linked. Sounds like I should give it a try!

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I love my gas stove, but I lived with family for a minute and grew to love their induction stovetop. And convection oven.

I went from electric, then to gas for a year, then to induction and I really love the induction. Super responsive, safer, easy to keep clean. It took some getting used to, but so much nicer. First time with a convection oven (two of them:aaaaa:), as well, and I love it.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Plenty of other options and I'm guessing at least one will be induction compatible. I think your biggest issue with any plancha on an induction cooktop is going to be that you'll have hot and cold spots - unless the entire cooktop is induction, of course.

Yeah, that's one thing I was worried about. The stovetop I have has the burners pretty close together, so I was hoping it would do okay and the heat would just radiate across, but you're right it's definitely going to have hot and cold spots.

Guess I'll just have to try! Thank you all for the responses.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I have an IP with the air fryer lid and it's simply okay. If you're limited on space, it might be worth it. If you have the space for a dedicated air fryer, then I'd do that. Keep in mind the air fryer lid for the IP is big and bulky. Not sure about the Ultra, which has an attached lid. If I had limited space I'd check out that route, although it has to be a pain to clean without a removable lid.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It looks sketchy as gently caress, but I have ordered a few All-Clad items from them and so far I have been very happy. Never noticed any imperfections at all compared to stuff I've ordered directly from All-Clad.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Paprika is really excellent. Makes keeping organized in the kitchen so much easier. My wife and I love it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

How do people feel about the Anova Precision Oven? I feel like I saw some chatter about it for a bit, but then it fell off. If you're looking for a toaster oven, but would likely use the extra functionality, is it worth it? Is it only worth it if you bake?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Our current method of toasting something is using the broiler in our big oven. Take out a tray, aluminum foil it, etc., so anything is an improvement there. It would be nice to not have to use our full oven as often in general. And we have room for it, just not it and a toaster oven. Our oven is convection, but our air fryer is the instant pot air fryer lid, which sucks. The IP is also our sous vide, which it handles fine.

On the cost, I can justify it because we have some spending money, but we also dine out like 2 or 3 times a month. We can't order delivery. So we cook a lot and save some money on that front, so even something as silly as a $600 fancy oven is justifiable.

Really just trying to hear if they're any good and what folks use them for. The ATK review of it in their smart oven reviews really trashed it, but checking online on other places maybe their review was flawed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnjvzB0OZsc

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 28, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It holds a gallon of it. Supposedly, it can do 100% humidity cooks for about 24 hours on that tank. From what I've seen, most people seem to say it lasts them a month or two.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sorry to hear it's been a pain, but at least they are shipping you a new one I guess.

Ordered one a day or two ago. I'm excited!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

IMO, if you don't have a pressure cooker and can only have one, I'd get an IP. There's just a lot of neat things you can do with it and it makes pretty good rice.

If you're strictly looking to make rice, rice makers do a better job and are more convenient to use for rice.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

chaos reigns

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Got mine this week, but haven't had a chance to use it other than some basics. So far I quite like it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Anova is a company, they make a bunch of stuff. Their first hit product (AFAIK) was their immersion circulator. They also make vacuum sealers, have a new chamber vacuum sealer, have this fancy precision oven. I think they do a pretty good job.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yup, ice in a hot oven safe pan seems to be the common suggestion.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

BBQ Dave posted:

I don't understand can you elaborate? I do a lot of soups!

If you put the bag on an angle on your counter it will generally suck the air out without the liquid, but it's not perfect and it takes a bit of practice.

When I'm freezing liquid, I put it in a container and freeze it, then take it out of the container and vacuum seal it. My mom got me these Souper Cubes thingies that are good for it, but I also just use deli containers and that works just fine.

I love having a vacuum sealer. It's great.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

For the folks talking knives, there's a knife thread if you want to get super nerdy.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3846213

BBQ Dave posted:

Ok I'm a believer.

We have super cubes too so I made a big batch of split pea soup with ham hock and kept it super thick so that it can be diluted after defrosting and thus save more freezer space. Then as you advised I froze them in souper cubes and then vacuum sealed. Pretty great, makes me wish I had a bigger freezer.

Also did a couple sous vide steaks, I don't have a circulation machine but I used a thermometer and they turned out great (didn't take pictures).

One of us! One of us!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I am literally too scared to even keep a mandolin in the house given the horror stories I've heard. Although I will admit that is probably overkill. But yeah, just in case you were going to skip the cut-proof glove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I bet if you cook with them they taste awful.