Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
We got a new dishwasher (Bosch 100 without the top rack) and I can't seem to get my Nordicware half sheet pans to fit, even after moving the top rack to the top position. (Unless there's a third secret higher level I haven't found yet.)

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a half sheet pan that's like an inch narrower? The Nordicware is 12.9" wide, for reference. The length is fine.

Or is this where I just hammer the sides straight up from their flared position and give up their stacking abilities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005

BrianBoitano posted:

Tilt yer sheets

The tines aren't tall enough to support a tilted sheet unfortunately. It just falls over.

hypnophant posted:

aren't nordicware pans bare aluminum? if you've already been putting them in the dishwasher then whatever, but if you haven't, the detergent can turn them gray and flakey

Yeah they're all grey and matte now, but aren't flaking. I don't mind. They always have parchment on them anyway.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
We got the absolute cheapest model and I think we should have paid the $300 for the next step up. A spot for a sheet pan makes a lot of sense and is definitely not present with this one's rack.

Yeah I'll get to bending some times or making a little support for the pan so it won't fall over when angled.

We weren't able to test this exact model in the store for pots & pans. Lesson learned! At least it cleans better than the dead Kenmore it replaced.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

v if their life is like mine, probably grease from stuff like chicken quarters

Yup, stuff like that, leaky sweet potatoes, etc. It's so much nicer to just toss it in than try to wash it off in a kitchen sink.

I think I got it rigged up well enough. I just do not understand why they have so much space available and waste it all with terrible tines, yeah.

I was bored today and called Bosch's customer line to see what they said and they kept offering suggestions that my model can't do (tall item sprinkler, move the top rack up to the third position, fold down the left set of tines so I could angle it better). We'd double check the model number and they'd apologize, saying they'll take my (clearly uncommon) baking sheet needs into consideration for future models.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Pottery people show up at the large craft fairs and art festivals in my area, so if you haven't checked those out give them a shot. Also any Renaissance fair that has vendor booths usually has a few.

Calling a pottery studio is a good idea, too. You may even start making your own!

My only beef with big bowls and stoneware is that we got a new Bosch dishwasher and none of it fits well and there are only like 7 bowl slots. I don't know what the Germans have against bowls.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Don't forget that your local library likely has digital access to Consumer Reports! I log into my library website, click through its entry in our digital collection, and I get the whole site for free.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

Okay, this is a bit of an unusual request, but I've started up some indoor herbs but I'm afraid that my cat will eat them all while I'm at work once they start to sprout and grow. Does anyone know of a setup that'll keep cats out but not also be annoying to get around when I'm cooking?

You might see if the cat thread in pet island has any suggestions, but short of making it inconvenient for everyone I can't think of anything. When our cat was spry the only way to keep her from plants was to suspend them from the ceiling with nothing around them for a several feet, or just grow them outside. I guess you could probably make a little cage (including a top panel) with a gate, if you've got room at your growing space. Ours goes nuts for basil (and all mint family plants, since catnip is in there too) so it was nearly impossible to grow inside.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

fr0id posted:

I had a 30 plus year old cuisinart food processor that I managed to tear apart with my bare hands during a move (the plastic got brittle and the foot got stuck to the counter) and a decade old blender that seems to want to give up the ghost.

What are cheap replacements for both that are fairly effective? I use the blender primarily for pureeing sauces, beans, soups, etc. I used the food processor for grating cheese, certain doughs, and salsas.

I have an Oster blender and a Hamilton Beach food processor from Target. Neither are particularly heavy duty but they handle the kind of stuff you (& I) do most often so I don't mind recommending those. My only complaint on the processor is that it's a little finicky to clean but it's fine.

Others will probably have nicer/more robust recommendations, surely!

effika
Jun 19, 2005

I've got that Cuisinart they recommend and I was going to say that the Bagel button does nothing at all except make the cycle longer and learned from it that's apparently on purpose? Huh. It does toast well but if you want a toaster that does different heat on different sides of the bagel you might want a different one.

Of course, it's cheap enough that it's worth a try anyway, probably.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

torgeaux posted:

I have a cuisinart "Costco exclusive" and it sucks. It makes toast fine. It's bagel function is what i want, that is, the outside portion heats with half the elements and inside is normal elements, so warm outer, toasted inner. But it sucks. Why? Well, it's "digital" and sometimes won't stop toasting because it isn't a mechanical timer, so if you aren't paying attention to force the handle up, it burns. The "stop toasting" button doesn't work when that happens. Also, it will randomly change to "single" "english muffin" setting between uses.

Adding "toasters" to the list of things to never buy a non-mechanical version of. Yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
1-4 days each spring, 2-3 days each summer, and sometimes a week or so in the winter due to tornados/microbursts and ice storms. Also our power company hates us and refuses to bury the lines on anything that isn't new construction.

I don't care about being able to cook (work has a generator), but I do care about hot water. I'm never installing any kind of hot water heater that uses electricity if I have a choice. Being able to take a hot shower when it's winter and the heat is off is what keeps me sane.