Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

mindphlux posted:

I don't own a TV

Of course you wouldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
We talk about this every drat year. I'm not gonna brine because it's stupid and doesn't do much. You're welcome to. However no one mentions the single most effective way to get a tasty and moist bird is the injection method. Get a nice stainless injection needle and fill that fucker up with butter and seasonings.

Also why are we arguing about this here and not the holiday thread? Stop ruining my traditions!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
But how else are you supposed to make a visually unappealing cylinder of super dense bread that looks like something from Rama?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
The only thing that would worry me is DuPont studies show that the Teflon offgases toxic particulates at 446°F. So I guess just keep that in mind? I don't know when the hell you'd ever go higher than that for muffins but whatever.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

SubG posted:

[citation needed]. That claim---in specifically those terms, e.g. the quote `DuPont studies show that the Teflon off-gases toxic particulates at 446° F'---is something that turns up in a whole bunch of TOXIC CHEMICALS websites, but appears to be impossible to track back to the studies from which this number ostensibly comes.

I mean I could get into this poo poo again is someone really wants to, but the punchline is that the actual temperature at which modern PTFE formulations undergo pyrolysis is over 550° F, and at that temperature the danger posed by the pyrolysis products will be small compared to the health risks associated with all the other poo poo that's ending up in the air from cooking at that temperature. Almost all of the dire warnings about teflon cookware you hear today appear to be predicated in old or suspicious data (that is, data involving PTFE formulations that haven't been used in decades, or unreproducible personal anecdotes).

Seconding or thirding or whatever that a food mill is what you want to use to rice potatoes at home.

Enjoy your autism pans. :smugbert:

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 15, 2015

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I can't stand how loud the Bron is. It's why I got rid of mine.

You got a new mandoline because it was too loud? :wtc:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

rgocs posted:

We need to replace our cookware set; I've had it for more than 10 years and being a non-stick (yeah, yeah, I didn't know any better back then) the coating has been flaking up lately.

Even America's Test Kitchen uses this bad boy almost every episode. http://amzn.com/B000GWG0T2
Non-stick totally has a place in my kitchen. Some posters can be hyperbolic and say that there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to use anything other than cast iron for non-stick but they're mostly full of poo poo.

As for all-clad I had a windfall about 5 years ago and dropped about a grand on the D5 all clad set. Great investment because I'll probably never have to replace it and they are amazing. Super expensive though I mean holy gently caress I spent a grand on loving pans.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Seriously shrimp poop is just sand. Mmmm sand.

Also pancakes in a can spotted. (Upper left hand corner don't lie)

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Hell just save up and buy this. If you treat it right it could last a lifetime. The D5 is better but not at all worth the price difference unless you get like a really sweet bonus (which is exactly how I bought mine and have never regretted it).
https://www.amazon.com/All-Clad-Stainless-Tri-Ply-Dishwasher-Cookware/dp/B00FUF5K8W

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

I have the DOT, which doesn't have all the extra poo poo that the ChefAlarm has that you will probably never use. But it's hard to go wrong with anything from Thermoworks.

http://www.thermoworks.com/DOT

I think you and I had the same problem where our cheap-o ones kept fluttering back and forth between F and C. Was that your replacement and you dig it?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Super good deal Amazon has the Waring Pro WMK600 Double Belgian Waffle Maker on sale for $55.99 with free shipping. http://amzn.com/B0034JU9T6

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I want to buy it but I can't decide if I should.

I'm waffling.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I bet it makes your kitchen hot as gently caress in the summer as bad as a dang oven would.

Edit: Don't they make things you pop in the oven anyway for that?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I know it's super basic but I loving hate my current potato masher. Anyone love theirs? Good for taters and guac?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
This is a super duper good deal but it's today only so I hope some of y'all saved in advance. KitchenAid Tri-Ply Stainless Steel 12-Piece Set on sale for $222.99 with free shipping.

https://amzn.com/B01ATSHP0A

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

The Midniter posted:

Goddamn that's a good deal. If I didn't already have a full pots and pans collection, I'd jump on that in a heartbeat.

Even so, I still want to buy it.

I know, right? If I had the cash it'd be handy just to have an extra few pots. I hope some of y'all take advantage of this!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Never buy your foods from a food mill. They never treat them well. Please adopt your food from a food shelter.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 21, 2016

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

vuk83 posted:

So me and my wife are buying a new apartment, thats being built, and going to be ready in march.
We have the option of upgrading some of the appliances, but dont really know the quality of the new appliances.
We are thinking about upgrading
Stove top, to a kitchenaid induction top.
Oven to a kitchenaid oven
And combined fridge/freezer to a kitchenaid model.
Is kitchenaid a good brand for major appliances?

Induction on stove top is cool but get an electric oven.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Yeah that's what I want to do. I'm just wondering when a sale is going to be.

Meh they usually go on sale once a month or two and someone will usually post about it. It's been a few weeks since the last one.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Wait so the Costco ones are like the old Hobart ones? poo poo, I'd have gotten that rather than the pro model I got. Even if it meant I had to buy costco only attachments. drat it.

Edit: Well poo poo. It turns out that yeah it totally loving is like the old Hobart ones. Get that one dude.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 3, 2016

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

No, they're the same as Commerical models. Lead gears that strip instead of destroying the motor.

So only the artisan ones have the stupid nylon and plastic gears? I thought even the pro uses the nylon ones.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I want an extra bowl for my KitchenAid Pro 5. I was looking to get a glass one but I cannot for the life of me find one other than a model that comes with the dang thing which I didn't get obviously. I can't see where to get that separately, anyone else have any luck? Or any other recommendations?

Edit: Well poo poo of course I find this right after I post. https://amzn.com/B00QUVGMUK
God drat that's a bunch of loving money for a flippin mixing bowl though. Anything else?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

So it probably won't be priced any lower than it is now. That's good to know.

Today's a pretty good deal by the way. https://amzn.com/B00PZU3AEI

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Lol if you don't like ground rock in your food

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Jan posted:

That's even worse. How am I going to cook my eggs in freshly rendered bacon fat?

Or in all honesty, pour the fat into a mug and keep it on the counter. Cover it with something like a cloth so poo poo doesn't get in it. Keeps for like a month maybe? Not sure I throw any leftover out and keep a new batch the next time i make the superior oven bacon. Man there's nothing like being able to make a breakfast sandwich in like 1 minute thanks to oven bacon.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Hauki posted:

Varies greatly depending on what it is they're reviewing. Anywhere between laughably bad and fairly accurate. What specifically are you looking at?

This is wrong. Their reviews are great IMHO.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Steve Yun posted:

Says Amazon never had it at $50. Guess it was Woot or some other site

I think you're thinking when meh.com had it. I didn't know what it was at the time. I wish I had gotten one now.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
IMHO just keep an eye out for D5 pieces as they randomly go on sale. They're better and it's much smarter than buying an entire set where they throw in a couple pieces you may not really use much.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

The cuisinart he bought is solid, it's easy to use all pieces. I agree with most sets

Sorry yeah I was just saying in general.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

whatupdet posted:

Drunk post?

That's what my money's on. I can kinda see where he was going? Maybe?

RE: Toasters. You might not think of a time you'd want a toaster oven until you own one and then you can't really imagine going back to a pop up toaster IMHO.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

You can get it today for $80 with the code BIGTHANKS.

That's a lie. You're a liar trying to trick people. (coupon expired at midnight)

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
You're weird and I hope your friends get better friends.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

.Z. posted:

Classic:
-Water-resistant

From what I understood, the classic isn't even water resistant. The MK3 was spash proof. I have a classic however and it's been going strong for maybe 10 years? IDK it's been a long while anyway.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

.Z. posted:

Any one have suggestions for a mezzulana and board/bowl for salad making? Looking to get one as a gift.

Get a bat'leth.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Get an induction burner.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

bongwizzard posted:

Is there any reason to put any thought into buying an ice bucket, or can I just buy the first one that I see on amazon?

Well I mean you can spend $300 on a yeti ice bucket but you have officially spent more time thinking about ice buckets than I have in my entire life just by making your post.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Some of us have robot coupes laying around :shrug:

Besides, all I was pointing out is that it's possible to get the consistency. Plenty of cheaper food processors have serrated blades.

Please stop being Chefy Chef again. Yes it's cool that your work let you have a busted coupe and all it needed was you fixing the power connections. You know how people can't stand BMW owners that try to mention their BMW in every conversation? You're doing that.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I do about 60% of my cooking in a big D5 skillet, 30% in a lovely T-fal that I replace every 6-9 months when I need super non-stick and the rest uses a collection of pans I really should toss most of them since I barely have room.

Edit: Ahahah TIL that All-Clad sells their own version of barkeeper's friend but instead of $2 per 12oz it's $18 per 12oz get hosed all-clad. (They make amazing pans though)

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 20, 2017

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I always just use peanut oil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE