Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Horse Clocks posted:

More likely Costco wanted its wholesale price to be lower than the standard model. They're probably more quiet due to different (and probably not as hard wearing) plastics gearbox.

I thought the "HD" stood for heavy duty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

That stupid mixer is never going on sale, is it? :smith:

I mean judging by the prices on the other sites, it already is on sale. I'm just wondering if it's ever gonna go any more on sale than that.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Canuck-Errant posted:

CamelCamelCamel has price history for items on Amazon. It looks like the lowest the 6-quart KitchenAid stand mixers have ever gone on Amazon has been 254.94, shipping included, for the Costco model as a Certified Refurbished item.

So it probably won't be priced any lower than it is now. That's good to know.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

EDIT: Holy poo poo wrong thread.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 28, 2016

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Croatoan posted:

Today's a pretty good deal by the way. https://amzn.com/B00PZU3AEI

If only this was the 600 Series in Cobalt Blue, I'd buy the gently caress out of it in a heartbeat.

Also I just checked and the Majestic Yellow 600 Series jumped up in price from $339 to $357. Kinda puts a wet blanket on my hope to buy one for my dad for his birthday. :ohdear:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Welp time to check Amazon again to see if that Kitchenaid Pro 600 mixer is on sale ygently caress!!:bang::suicide:

(it went up to $450)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I've never cooked bacon in anything other than a microwave.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Speaking of KitchenAid mixers, GUESS WHAT'S ON LIGHTNING SALE!! :q:

(It's that KitchenAid Pro 600 in the Cobalt Blue color I've been wanting, now priced at $271 for like the next 2 hours and 40 minutes.)

EDIT: The Majestic Yellow one is even cheaper at $250. I might have to call my mom and tell her to pick one up for my dad for Christmas.

EDIT 2: Probably should link them both if I'm gonna be telling people they're on sale. Cobalt Blue here. Majestic Yellow here.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 11, 2016

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Steve Yun posted:

You know what your kitchen needs? SMEG.

No thanks, I already bought a KitchenAid. :D

(I'm still entirely too proud of this.)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Crosspost from the Bread Thread.

So I just bought an OXO rolling pin at Bed Bath & Beyond, and before I use it I'm wondering if there's any reason why I should return it and buy a different one instead.

It's made of... well it's not made of wood (some sort of plastic I guess), and it's pretty heavy and has self-balancing handles and cost like $30. I bought it over the wood ones because I figured I could stick it in the dishwasher.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Steve Yun posted:

The texture on wood ones hold onto flour well, so you can dust them and roll dough without sticking. Other materials don't hold flour well.

I actually also got a pastry mat so I could roll dough without using flour. I live with a roommate and don't want to make a mess all over the counter with flour.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Eh, I guess I can just put flour on the pastry mat if I have to.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Pretty sure this has been covered before, but I may be getting a stick blender to make pizza sauce. Is there any particular one that's good?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Mostly people crashing at my place after a night out. That and certain extended family members that I did not have much choice but to let in. Try waking up to find your PC, work laptop, speakers, TV and various other valuables gone and have your other family tell you you should not be mad at the person who did it because "We're sure he had a good reason." and "You didn't really need those things did you?".

I'm sorry but how does anybody have a "good reason" for stealing thousands of dollars worth of valuable home electronics? You have some seriously horrible friends and family. :psyduck:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I think it's called a deli slicer? Or maybe a meat slicer?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The Midniter posted:

Classic Thermapens are on sale for only $59 right now, brand new. This is by far the cheapest I've ever seen them for a non-refurb item, and it's available in six colors, unlike a lot of their sales that are limited to a single color. If you don't have one, jump on this!

Very strongly considering buying one of these. Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: Aaaaand bought! Mine's blue. :D

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 19, 2017

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Thermoworks is doing 15% off everything on their site with code SITEWIDE15OFF.

Enjoy.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Thanks for the heads up. Ordered the SMOKE for, well, my smoker.

They just had a sale on Smokes specifically like a week ago for I forgot how much off. You might have been able to get it cheaper then. :(

EDIT: They also just had a sale on ThermaQ stuff for $75 off and red ThermaPen MK4s for $20 off.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 5, 2017

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Steve Yun posted:

Random gear news:

Breville is now the exclusive distributor for Polyscience. They redesigned the Smoking Gun and it now has the ability to stand up on its own without a stupid flimsy clip on stand. Same price.

I noticed this on Amazon a couple of nights ago. I wonder if they fixed the problem where it breaks constantly. If they have then I might consider buying one.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Okay but how often does it break? The old one had a problem where it was prone to breaking.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Steve Yun posted:

I've had one for about four years and it has never broken. How did it break for other people?

taqueso mentioned it had a problem with breaking when I asked about Smoking Guns last year.

taqueso posted:

My roommate uses the 'Smoking Gun' to add smoke flavor to whiskey, which it seems to work OK for. I doubt it is good for much more than that. I believe he is on his second or third one in a couple years, so apparently they aren't particularly durable.

Don't know how reliable that is, but it's something I've been worried about.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

taqueso posted:

My roommate was using it at a cocktail bar multiple times a night, it would probably be fine for light use.

This... seems like an important detail to leave out.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

taqueso posted:

Yeah I thought the same when I read that quote of what I posted before. Sorry about that..

Did he clean it on a regular basis? Because I could definitely see a Smoking Gun being prone to breaking if it's getting heavy use and not being cleaned.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I don't know if anyone cares, but ThermoWorks is having their annual Independence Day sale. 20% off on red, white, and blue Thermapen Mk4s, and there's a few other things on sale too.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So... any good deals on All-Clad pans for Prime Day?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hot drat. Looks like the 10-piece is on sale too. Shame the 14-piece isn't though.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Vitamix 5200 on sale for 20% off.

https://www.amazon.com/Vitamix-0013...=p_89%3AVitamix

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is the meat grinder for the KitchenAid Pro 600 any good? Looking at it on Amazon, it says it's made of plastic, which makes me weary.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is this a good thread to ask for recommendations on a new fridge?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Steve Yun posted:

Might as well be here, I am curious to know as well since I have been putting off buying a larger refrigerator

Okay then. Crossposting from PYF.

My parents are looking for a new refrigerator. Needs to be at least 69" H x 35" W x 30" D, side-by-side style, with an ice maker, one produce drawer, and one meat drawer. Also needs to work and be good, but doesn't need to be fancy. Budget is around $1000 or less if we can manage.

We just had a carton of milk go sour, so we may have to buy soon. Any help would be appreciated.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Canuck-Errant posted:

Sales on appliances usually kick off around Labor Day weekend, so if you can hold out a week you might be able to get some better deals - or make sure they have a price match that goes out that far.

Thanks a lot for the tip. I don't know if we have a luxury of time, but I'll let my parents know this just in case. We ARE having money issues right now, so if we can get a better fridge for less then it'd be great.

I might give Best Buy a call to find out if they can give me a sneak peek at their Labor Day weekend deals.

Canuck-Errant posted:

If you're set on a side-by-side, Consumer Reports recommends the Samsung RS25J500DSR, which is in your price range and has the features you're after. It won't be as energy efficient as models with a top/bottom separation, of course, but it fits. The RS25H5121SR scored slightly better (78 vs 76), mostly on ease of use, but cost 600 bucks more; on the other hand, that might be worth the difference to you, especially if they go on sale before new models arrive in October.

My parents want a side-by-side. They have real bad arthritis problems and have trouble bending over and kneeling, so a French door model wouldn't work for them.

Interesting that you recommend the Samsung RS25J500DSR. I found that model on BestBuy.com last night and showed it to my dad. He likes it. There's some indications in the reviews that Samsung sucks at customer service and repairs though, and this Reviews.com article agrees, so I'm a little wary.

EDIT: Is the LG LSXS26326S any good? It's a couple hundred dollars more at Best Buy, but I'm wondering if we can get it for $1000 come Labor Day weekend.

Also can I get a link to that Consumer Reports thing you're quoting?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 28, 2017

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Canuck-Errant posted:

Here's the CR page I took this from, though it's paywalled. The LG LSXS26326S is actually rated lower than both of the Samsung models I suggested - 72 points - and the CR review says it's noisier and not as uniform in terms of temperature. I'd still go for the RS25.

Also, I'd double-check Best Buy's price drop policy, since if you need it now and can get refunded on the price difference if/when it goes down, you might as well~

E: If you're looking for a fridge that isn't LG or Samsung, is side-by-side, and is in the general price range, the highest-rated would be the GE GSE25ESHSS at 70 points.

Good to know, thanks.

I checked some places online, and it looks like a bunch of stores are doing Labor Day weekend sales now, so maybe we don't have to wait.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Thermoworks is having a sale on ThermaQs and ThermaQ kits.

Enjoy.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The Midniter posted:

Thermapen Mk4 20% off, $79 versus $99 regular price. Cheapest I've seen since the July 4th sale, and available in every color, not just red, white, and blue (lol).

Make sure you follow the embedded link, as it's not navigable from the main ThermoWorks site.

This is a really good deal and I'd totally buy one if I didn't already have a Classic. And no money.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Feenix posted:

Amazon notified me today that the Breville Smoking Gun Pro was back in stock if anyone cares.

I do, thanks. :)

Too bad I can't afford it right now though. :negative:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Steve Yun posted:

I was skeptical, but this is actually a really good plastic spatula! It's thinner than the Oxo and that makes it more flexible upwards, which is handy for scooping up things. Also because of its concave shape, it's rigid in the downwards direction, allowing you to pick up heavy things without worrying that your spatula is going to sag and drop it.

Ironically this concave cleverness is something the Oxo thin steel spatula has had for over a decade. I dunno why they never thought to put the concave in their plastic spatula.

What the hell? It comes in six colors, but they won’t even let you pick the color?

That’s bullshit. They have an entire line of colored products, and I have other colored stuff in my kitchen. What if I want them all to match?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So a couple of years ago I got the Peugeot Paris U’Select Pepper Grinder. It owns and I love it and it’s beautiful and I wouldn’t trade it for anything... but it is annoying to use when I need large quantities of pepper for recipes that call for spoonfuls. What’s a good electric pepper grinder that grinds pepper ultra super fine as gently caress so I don’t bite into broken peppercorn chunks?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The Midniter posted:

Just an FYI re: everyone suggesting the Unicorn Magnum pepper mill. It is hands down the best mill I've ever used and I'll use mine until the heat death of the universe. HOWEVER, the one caveat is that even on its finest setting, the pepper it spits out isn't particularly fine. It's not powdery, if that's what you're looking for. It's still pretty fine, but it is definitely not "ultra super fine".

How fine is it, then? I’m looking for something as fine as the Peugeot Paris on the 1 setting.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

48-hour sale on red and green Classic Thermapens. $20 off. Get you some!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Lawnie posted:

That said, hopefully y’all will keep an eye out for thermoworks sales this season. I’m going to replace mine once and for all with the right thermometer.

Funny you say that. Whole bunch of stuff on sale on the Thermoworks website for Black Friday.