Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I bet you'd be surprised at how good a new one is. Mine seem to slowly degrade, not fast enough for me to ever really notice, but when I get a new one it works much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Please explain to me how you'll get the flavor of dry juniper into a turkey with just salt, thanks.

I'f you'd read the article, his "brine" was JUST salt. No aromatics, citrus, spices, etc. That's loving stupid. Nobody brines with JUST salt.

e: and just so we're clear, he only used a 5% salt BRINE solution. Dry brine is a stupid term, you're just salting it prior to cooking.

Well in the article he talks about brining with spices and different liquids, etc. He tried all of that and concluded that the flavor difference is almost entirely in the skin and you're much better off just using salt and applying the aromatics later. It makes sense to me.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

There's no way your oven is so bad you can't bake a loaf of bread. I bake bread in a $30, 25L one of these: http://www.aliexpress.com/price/changdi-electric-oven_price.html and it works once you figure out a few oddities of the oven.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

What's so good about it? I have a random crappy can opener and I've never noticed problems with it.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I use a Hario Skerton, which is a cheap manual burr grinder, with a modification (mine is a 3D printed part that fits to the shaft) which improves consistency on coarser grinds.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

In Asia people don't seem to devein shrimp. They're just dumped live into boiling water, and you bite the heads off and peel them after cooking and eat the vein. Tastes fine that way to be honest.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I'm American and I don't mind it.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Tastes good imo.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Does Thermoworks normally have Father's Day sales? They've got a 15% off deal going right now for everything on their site, but I'm wondering if they'll be offering ThermaPens any cheaper than that come Father's Day time.

Hmm. I don't know, sorry!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

It's not $30 anymore. You might as well get the Tojiro DP nowadays.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I live in an apartment with a tiny kitchen and the Bosch Compact is pretty much perfect

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

https://www.juicero.com/

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

What's so good about an instant pot instead of a normal pressure cooker?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I got a $30 countertop oven from a Chinese brand that's 50% bigger than the Breville Smart Oven and it works fine. I even cooked a 14 pound turkey in it this Thanksgiving.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I think to actually smoke something it's difficult to get around producing a lot of actual smoke

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

It's a free country

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Steve Yun posted:

Someone who's been to China can chime in here, but I think Chinese stoves typically have two burners and are much more powerful than western stoves

edit: or maybe not, it sounds like people use induction cooktops at home now?
https://forums.egullet.org/topic/145626-wok-cooking-are-home-stoves-really-not-hot-enough/?page=2

I live in urban China and this is what I have (which is pretty typical)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

In rural China, this is pretty common still and what a lot of people are doing their wok cooking on:

e:

And the induction thing isn't really what people want, it's just that in urban China there are a lot of incredibly crappy apartments that don't even have a real kitchen, so people are buying these portable induction things to make do: http://item.jd.com/3563508.html

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 24, 2017

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Pen Express posted:

Any recommendations for round dinner plates with a slight slope/curve/lip and pasta/risotto bowls?

Sorry, I don't know anything about those

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Yeah it does actually

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Nope, I don't. Sorry.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I have a countertop oven that's about twice as big as a normal toaster oven and it has convection. I can cook 6 cookies at a time!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

bamhand posted:

Yeah you don't cut anything in Chinese food, it should arrive pre cut. I don't know about the Confucius thing. The food can be full of bones though and you have to pick it out with your hands at the table.

Well not normally with your hands...

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

bamhand posted:

Everyone I've eaten with has used their hands. Like fish bones, pork short ribs, chopped chicken pieces full of bones, etc.

Maybe it’s regional but everywhere I’ve been the normal thing is to hold the piece up to your mouth with your chopsticks and use your teeth and lips to separate the meat from the bones

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

MrYenko posted:

I recently tried chicken feet, after making fun on my friend for the better part of a decade. It mystifies me that people who aren’t starving to death would eat them.

They’re not offensive, or unpalatable, there’s just a really, really low payoff for the amount of work required.

People really really like the texture

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

VERTiG0 posted:

Thoughts on the Cuisinart DFP-14CNY vs a Breville Sous Chef?

I don’t know as I haven’t used either, op. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Do people wash their ceramic honing rods?

I don't know, op.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Scott808 posted:

Ceramics will load with steel off the knife.

You can clean them Bar Keeper's Friend, Comet, or whatever similar product you have around the house.

Thanks for the tip, nerd.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I use a microplane, op

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Stringent posted:

repost from YOSPOS because i thought it was hilarious

nbsd said something unintentionally funny? Now I've seen everything...

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

BraveUlysses posted:

questions for the breville smart oven owners: is this thing good enough to toss out my toaster oven? our toaster oven is 10+ y/o and ugly AF

also, is is it safe to use on a kitchen counter, under a cabinet?

I don't own one, but probably! Hope this helps, op/.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

BraveUlysses posted:

recs for enameled dutch ovens? i need a big one, at least 6QTs and light inside color finish only

i finally got a chip on my 10 year old martha stewart one so i'll retire it.

as much as i'd like a le cruset the prices are nuts

I got a cheap as heck no name Chinese one for like $10. It's fine.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sever, op

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

El Mero Mero posted:

Okay. Hotpot. Boondoggle fad or legitimately good?

it’s fun with a small group of people

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Verisimilidude posted:

Rice often stays well enough to eat for a full week before it gets kinda dry.

yikes

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

They make those, they’re called coffee grinders

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I. M. Gei posted:

Maybe it’s a good time to change the subject. I’m also looking for an electric griddle and a stick blender, in that order. I know I’ve asked about stick blenders here before, but that was in 2017 I think.

I’ve tried using a Philips stick blender to grind spices and I don’t recommend it op

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Not much, how is it at making roux with you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I got a cheap silicone oven mitt online and it works great