Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

THF13 posted:

Any ones in particular to look at? I can't find a lot of information in English about them. Sweethome is recommending this ~$220 10 cup pressure cooker model since it cooks faster than their previous pick of a ~$150 Zojirushi.

I also am thinking of buying Sweethome's pick for a toaster oven since it seems more useful than a regular toaster without taking up much more space, but having never actually owned a toaster oven I'm not sure it's worth it.
that looks like a decent pick, but it would depend on whether you are just looking for a toaster replacement or something more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

rgocs posted:

Seems like rust only appeared underneath the skillet (outside).

if it's underneath the seasoning, it means there's a gap in the seasoning somewhere and the oxidation will migrate over the pan slowly

the greyish color is probably smoke particles hanging out in the seasoning also

Elizabethan Error fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 8, 2016

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Neon Noodle posted:

As long as you wash and dry your wood cutting boards, they are safe for anything. Wood is naturally antibacterial (when it dries). I agree that if you're cutting a bunch of different things in the same session that plastic is more convenient, but if you're just cutting meat you can use your wood cutting board or butcher block and then wash it and spray it down with white vinegar.
you'll need to oil your wooden board regularly also, as wood will warp and/or crack without being properly oiled.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

a silicone bag seems good, though i feel like it's overkill if you're just going to make churros, as you can fashion a pastry bag out of a ziploc and whichever tip you like.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

just don't take it in your checked baggage, the TSA doesn't really like things that look like a coil of wire via xray/mmwave

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Jan posted:

Well, honestly, most of the effort goes to making the curry paste. And while there's probably some great commercial ones out there, the Thai Kitchen ones I can find are not. But once it's done, you can use it for the glaze, for the sauce, for the marinade, etc. So, you see, if I had gear that could actually make large batches of curry paste, I could just cook up a big can of it and then use it whenever I need. :yum:
you can't really recreate the grind you'll get with a mortar/pestle in a food processor. I realize this sounds like cooking nerd :circlefap: , but you can't get the same consistency or flavor profile

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

The robot coupe serrated blade is actually perfect for getting that paste consistency.
a mortar and pestle doesn't cost >500$

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

silicone over a steel frame, don't buy some nylon piece of poo poo

e:
https://www.amazon.com/Oro-Living-Silicone-Heat-Resistant-Flexible/dp/B0160IHI28

Elizabethan Error fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 26, 2017

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

.Z. posted:

5-ply is kind of a meaningless term. All-clad tri-ply is technically 5-ply, they just don't bother calling it that because two of the layers are bonding layers and are so thin they don't make a difference. But some of the other manufacturers do count those layers, and in those cases their 5-ply is basically the same as All-clad's tri-ply.

Furthermore more layers doesn't equal more performance of any kind. What matters is the thickness of the material. So if you've got a 5-ply and a 3-ply of the same thickness and same percentage of materials, they'll perform about the same. That said, Misen is stating that their pans are thicker so there will be more metal. This also means the pans are going to be heavier, heat up slower (even with more aluminum in the mix), and have better heat retention (as they stated). Whether that's a good or bad thing depends on your use-cases.

I'm not sure .4mm more material will make a noticeable difference to most people vs. what is already out there. And if you want an idea of what the Misen pans will be like, look into the Demeyere Industry5 pans, same thickness and 5ply as well: https://www.centurylife.org/in-depth-product-review-zwilling-j-a-henckels-sensation-11-inch-frying-pan-skillet/
product marketing is largely "how to get away with spurious bullshit claims 101" thanks to how much of a joke American advertising law is.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

just use a salt bowl and pepper your meat after.
peppering meat during cooking is largely pointless, 50%+ will end up in the coals, and the rest will probably burn on the meat and develop bitterness.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

what kind of pan is it, and what heat level are you using? cause 2 pans warping on the same stove indicates it's probably not the pan at fault

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

revwinnebago posted:

So far as I'm aware, the science isn't that settled.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/02/bpa-safety-war-battle-over-evidence

But it is at the level where if you're not microwaving plastics then the effect can be deemed debatable so it's up to you.
ziplock type bags use LDPE which doesn't leach, and doesn't melt until boiling temps are reached. stop spreading your appeal-to-authority wives tales, tia.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Feenix posted:

What are you guys’ thoughts on Woll Diamond Plus pans and such? My mom just told me she got one and it has diamond stuff in it or whatever and for the first time she’s ever witnessed a truth to the claim of an egg sliding off with no oil.

She’s not usually one for hype. (Quite the opposite, actually...) so now I’m curious. What’s your take, if anyone knows?
probably best to have her take it back; it's Teflon based despite all the bumf about diamond content

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

who doesn't love the taste of butane/propane propellant :yum:

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Croatoan posted:

Well poo poo I better get rid of my natural gas stove while I'm at it.
I know right? it's so hard to get 40 gal tanks of buttery flavoured propane these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

nwin posted:

That’s a valid point. I see the sound dampening ones that slack lagoon mentioned, but after spending all day reading reviews, I think all we really need is a personal blender with some more power to it than her standard magic bullet.
you already had one, but returned it. you're not going to get a good blender that's also silent. blenders are just motors inside a flashy housing, they're going to be noisy