Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

guppy posted:

We were given a chopper as a gift, one like this: https://www.oxo.com/chopper-228

I don't really like to return gifts, and they know we cook and it was a sweet thought, but I am thinking I have knives and I know how to use them and these don't really give you a consistent size. Am I right or do people feel strongly that these are a valuable time saver when you're tired?

I have a similar widget and I haul it out periodically when I want to chop something really fine, such as onion for guacamole. I prefer just hammering on the chopper to trying to mince, scrape, repeat over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

PDP-1 posted:

Are there any temperature monitors that have a probe that goes inside the oven with long-ish leads that extend to a monitor outside the oven? Jabbing a ThermaPen into a wad of meat around the time you think things might be done is all cool and good, but having a continuous monitor that could maybe beep at you when the center of your wad of meat first hits some pre-set temperature would be ideal.

Yes. I have a couple of these and like them.

Polder Digital In-Oven Thermometer/Timer, Graphite color https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P6FLOY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_-StqxbQS0TJBA

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Their review of knife sharpeners was... well, I didn't try them myself, so maybe it was secretly good, but it was not in any way aligned with the received wisdom of the chef's knife thread.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

This reminds me of the question I wanted to ask: anyone got a link for squeeze bottles that don't leak? I bought a cheap 6-pack from some random seller on Amazon and they work fine but they all have slicks of oil down their sides, which turn into slicks of oil on the shelf, and that gets nasty pretty quickly.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Will a portable single burner induction hob heat an enabled cast iron pan faster than my glasstop electric oven? I'm being a little skeptical about it just because the oven can obviously draw a lot more current, but I have no measurements about how much heat it can actually deliver through its biggest burner.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

The Creature posted:

What are your opinions on ice cream makers? Are the ones with compressors worth the money or should I just get one with a freezer bowl or two? I also was looking at the Kitchenaid attachment.

I used to have the Kitchenaid attachment. When it got to a point where the bowl needed resoldering, I upgraded to a Cuisinart with a compressor. I honestly liked the texture of the product from the Kitchenaid better, and it could handle some mix-ins that the Cuisinart doesn't (I used to like swirling peanut butter in, but the Cuisinart gets so cold it that it doesn't mix well), but I like having the freezer space back, and being able to make more batches when I want to. In practice I found that the Kitchenaid needs a day off between batches - the real cycle is freeze the bowl one day, make ice cream the next day, let it thaw and clean it the next day, and then start freezing again. That's fineif it's just me and my kid, not sufficient if I'm on dessert duty when my in-laws are in town. The Cuisinart can do a couple batches a night, if I can work that fast.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Sani Tuff doesn't recommend that you put it in the dishwasher because the drying phase might warp it. I think if your washer has an "economy drying" mode it would probably be ok.

I got a Sani-Tuff and threw it in the dishwasher before reading the fine print. It warped to the point of becoming useless. A Google search taught me that an oven on warm will soften the rubber up enough to un-warp it, and since then, I've been carefully cleaning it by hand. (Though I hadn't read about using Mr Clean as a sanitizing agent.) Now I bring it out when I have a big job and want that superior feel badly enough to handwash. 99% of my cutting happens on plastic boards, which I clean in the dishwasher like a proper lazy person. I have Chobs (https://www.amazon.com/Dreamfarm-Chobs-Non-Slip-Silicone-Assorted/dp/B004I8V8C4) on a couple of them to help avoid cross-contamination. Of course the Chobs cost more than the boards do, so that's a false economy unless you put a lot of value on your dishwasher slots.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Designs with a lid and basket make it a lot easier to fry without getting spattered. Designs with the heating element in the oil can control the oil temp more finely than a burner heating a vessel heating the oil.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I just had the brain wave of using my induction burner to make ice cream. It worked great except that when you clip a digital thermometer/alarm probe to a pan being heated by induction, it freaks the main thermometer device right out. I grabbed my silicone pot holder as an improvised shield, but has anyone got a really clever solution for this problem? Current notions rattling around my brain are wrapping the pot clip in tape, or putting one of those flimsy rubber jar lid grabbers between the clip and the pot.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Verisimilidude posted:

Not sure if this is a solution, but maybe a laser thermometer?

I've never seen one with a temp alert, and I'm not sure how reliable they are for something like ice cream.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Induction burners use magnetic fields to induce currents in your cookware, which in turn heats them up. I'm using my portable induction burner to prepare ice cream mix because the Duxtop model I have has a built-in thermostat feature, so I can quickly heat up the mix but I won't risk overdoing it. It doesn't replace an ice cream maker. Unfortunately, the same magnetic mojo that heats the pans interferes with the circuits in my Polder temperature alarms - they start beeping randomly, changing settings, etc.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I own one and it's... Ok. It will cook a turkey but it just doesn't have enough power to crisp up the skin and make it nice. I loved it at first but as time goes by, I notice the oily skin more and more.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

The only pan I ever owned with a bump in the middle was a cheap T-fal. I hated it and felt like I was always fighting the pan to get oils or sauces evenly distributed. My new T-fal, from one of their more expensive lines (a whopping $40 instead of $25) is properly flat. Therefore, I'd return anything I got that wasn't flat, whether it was designed that way or not.

Zorak of Michigan fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 28, 2018

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Croatoan posted:

Yeah the Thermapen is one of those kitchen tools where folks new to cooking think it's outrageously overpriced (I did!). When you have one though, man it's one of my favorite tools. I still have the Mark I I think I got back in like 2010 or something and it's still rocking so I'm not planning on upgrading until I need to. gently caress they're awesome.

This is the absolute truth. I look forward to my kid graduating from college, setting up housekeeping, and receiving my Mark I as a gift, so I'll have the excuse to upgrade.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Are those your only choices? Because I am Team Oxo.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Yeah, we used to have a couple Scanpan skillets of different sizes, and they wore out at the same speed as the cheep Oxo and T-Fal stuff we buy at Target for a tiny fraction of the price.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I like my Oxo shears for most things, but when I need to break down a chicken, I like my Fiskars butcher shears better. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZJUNHVU/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_MUBYDbCVBMQT8

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I don't know your real budget, but I'd suggest thinking hard about paying extra for one with a timer. I upgraded from an Aroma because I wanted that feature, and I use it all the time.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

It's a crying shame, because I think electric deep fryers would be a lot more effective if they could run on 220v.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for a large, deep skillet / fry pan? I've tried searching around, looking for reviews from ATK and the like, but pretty much every comparison I've found is reviewing shallow skillets rather than the deeper ones. I generally use it as my everyday pan - the vast majority of what I cook will get done in it (pretty much everything except boiling / steaming vegetables or pressure / slow cooking). I also like to make huge quantities of food at once, so the deep pans are nicer for that.

The first one I had was this guy, and it lasted a while but eventually things started sticking like crazy as the coating wore down. My current one has similar dimensions but for some stupid reason they put circular ridges on the bottom which makes it impossible to clean if something does stick. I've generally stuck to hard anodized aluminum so far and it's treated me well, non-nonstick pans kind of scare me.

Edit: currently I think my top contender is this, though I'm concerned that the flat bottom part looks a little smaller than I'd like.

Look for a saute pan rather than a skillet. We had a T-Fal nonstick saute pan for a couple years. I really liked the dimensions, but it was so badly domed that I got rid of it and went back to whatever I could find at the local store. I'd love to find one from a brand known for flatter bases.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

excellent bird guy posted:

I've got a Lodge 4 quart iron Dutch Oven that can pretty much do whatever you want. I don't cook eggs on it though.There are other dutch ovens that are enamel and i guess that qualifies for nonstick?

Maybe I've just been using it wrong but I don't think enamel is non-stick in a meaningful way. I need to get pretty aggressive with my dutch oven from time to time. I always assumed the enamel was there so that you could cook with ingredients that might react with uncoated cast iron.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

lovely pans are a real thing. The difference between the $15 stainless saucepan I bought at the local Meijer and my similarly-sized All-Clad is huge. The lovely one transfers the hot spots from my electric burners right to the food and requires constant stirring to cook anything evenly. The All-Clad is the truth.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Anyone have good tips for getting odors out of a blade grinder? I use mine mostly for black pepper, and I discovered that even after a trip through the dishwasher, it still smells strongly of black pepper. I'm nervous about using it for anything else now.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Fellow stove top pressure cooker fans, how often do you do a detail clean of your lid, valves, etc? My Vitaquick had a sealing issue yesterday, which tells me I haven't been doing it often enough, but I'm not sure what the right frequency is.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

My pressure cooker is a Fissler Vitaquick, so disassembling it enough to put the lid in the dishwasher means removing the main silicone gasket, the handle, the "Euromatic" jiggler valve, the membrane that drives the pressure indicator, and a couple other o-rings. Doing that after every meal seems like it would go through o-rings a lot faster than just leaving them alone except for a splash of soapy water and a hand rinse, so I'm trying to figure out a reasonable preventive maintenance routine.

Zorak of Michigan fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 16, 2020

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I am long since sold on hand-washing knives. I am willing to hand-wash my cutting boards. I don't care about hand-washing my dough hook or my silicone-edge beater. A whisk is the sort of thing that I really want to put in a dishwasher, though. Too fiddly. I resent the hell out of this development.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Their own website says:

quote:

Some ingredients in our powdered Cleanser may etch or dull delicate surfaces. Before cleaning fiberglass, plastics, anodized aluminum, or brushed metal surfaces – including appliance exteriors – test first on a small, inconspicuous area.

which sounds an awful lot like "use it on anodized aluminum at your own risk." But if it's a last-ditch effort before you give up and recycle something, why not?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I don't understand what sous vide mode is.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

mediaphage posted:

time to electrify the countertops then

https://store.petsafe.net/scatmat-pet-proofing-mats

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

But don't get a knife block, get a magnetic knife holder of some sort.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

eke out posted:

really good vent fan

i have one right now that ain't bad but i'm talking about "strong enough that you can't set off a smoke alarm short of an oil fire" ideally

This right here is job one. Everything else is a luxury compared to a smoke-free house.

I like Anne Whateley's aesthetic. I'm a cheap slut for kitchen gadgets and have ended up putting racks in my basement for the stuff I don't use every day. I'd love to have enough storage to keep it all in the kitchen. A lot of ours is less useful to me because it's broken up into small segments. I'm not sure how I'd do it, exactly, but some sort of large-format covered storage big enough to store my giant sous vide cambro and my 8qt pressure cooker would be wonderful. If you don't collect huge objects for occasional use, you will of course wish to discount my input.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

Who is she and what is her aesthetic? Google says it’s William Shakespear’s wife / mistress

I was referring to this post:

Anne Whateley posted:

Cabinets to the ceiling. Absolutely no two ways about it. Anything else is wasted storage space and a home for filth. Obviously they aren't super accessible, but they're perfect for storing stuff you only use for holidays or occasionally.

I kind of like those little appliance garages. Lets you have a visually clean counter without having to haul out the KitchenAid from some low cabinet every time.

Is a pantry a possibility?

Turbo vent hood obviously.

I'm not a fan of open storage, ymmv. It looks fine, but I'm not sold on the livability. If anything you can do a china cabinet deal with solid doors on the bottom and glass doors on top for #aesthetic things. Lot less cleaning.

The larger tiles you use for the backsplash, the less grout you have to scrub with a toothbrush.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

That’s an intentional feature to chase young people out of your kitchen

It's true. My kid won't be in the room when my Duxtop is running.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

You'd need to do some measuring and possibly change up your spice jars, but this is my jam:

https://www.verticalspice.com/

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

nwin posted:

Ok I’m done.

I’ve sliced my finger for the last time on my micro plane cheese grater while grating mozzarella bricks for pizza.

What’s a better tool to grate mozzarella with? One that preferably won’t cut me. Would a food processor work if I freeze the cheese first? I make pizza once a week and I’ve been doing it for the past 2-3 years. I’ve only cut myself 4/5 times but today was a decent Knick against my thumb. Contemplating super glue currently since that’s all the ER would do.

Rotary grater?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Anyone have hot tips for cleaning bare aluminum baking sheets? My NordicWare sheet got a little gross, and the usual soap and sponge weren't doing it, so I took some Barkeeper's Friend to it, and the scunge came off, but it also scratched hell out of it and left it looking pretty abused.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Thanks all.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

Been doing a lot of deep frying lately and it makes me miss my access to a real deep fryer at my old restaurant jobs

So I've been giving a thought to buying a one- or two-basket countertop deep fryer

Are there recommendations for a good solid one?

I've been happy with my Breville for years now.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I've got an electric turkey fryer and it struggles to come up to temp when cooking a brined bird. If having the heating element immersed in the oil can't do it, I can't hold out much hope for induction. If that burner can draw more than the 1500 watts or so available to countertop appliances here in the US, your results might be better than mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I've got a many-years-old Cuisinart compressor-based machine and it's been... fine, I guess. It's loud, and if I leave my mix in the fridge too long before putting it in the machine, it ends up over-churned and buttery.

It's easy to get ice cream and I still buy it often, but I also like being able to make chocolate ice cream with exactly the level of chocolate that suits me, or enjoy the vanilla flavor you get when you scrape the pulp out of the bean on Saturday and serve the ice cream on Sunday.

Edit: also, it's easy to portion out half-cup servings with homemade ice cream. When they're available at the store at all, they are not economical.