Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot
For me this video right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv9SJPa_dF8

Everything wrong with American justice in less than a minute. Justice and impartiality are lies. It's not unfair by mistake, It's unfair by design. It was always about control and never about justice. Innocent people get ducked in because people like this mother fucker want more people in to scare everyone into total capitulation.

http://www.npr.org/2015/11/02/452898470/supreme-court-takes-on-racial-discrimination-in-jury-selection

quote:

The U.S. Supreme Court wrestles Monday with a problem that has long plagued the criminal justice system: race discrimination in the selection of jurors.

"Numerous studies demonstrate that prosecutors use peremptory strikes to remove black jurors at significantly higher rates than white jurors."

Those are not the words of the defense in the case. They come from a group of highly regarded prosecutors, Republican and Democrat, conservative and liberal, who have filed a friend-of-the-court brief siding with Timothy Foster, who was convicted and sentenced to death in the killing of an elderly white woman in Georgia.

It has been nearly 30 years since the Supreme Court sought to toughen the rules against racial discrimination in jury selection. But Foster's lawyers argue that black jurors were systematically excluded from the jury at his trial in 1987, while judges at all levels looked the other way for nearly three decades thereafter.

Jury selection is done according to a set of rules. Prospective jurors are usually questioned by both prosecution and defense lawyers and then winnowed down in two different ways. First, the judge removes, "for cause," those jurors deemed incapable of being impartial. Next, each side, prosecution and defense, has a set number of peremptory strikes, meaning that a certain number of prospective jurors can be eliminated without a stated reason, or for no reason at all.

In 1986, the Supreme Court added a third step in a case called Batson v. Kentucky. Under the Batson rules, if the defense could show a racial pattern in prosecution peremptory strikes, the prosecutor would have to justify each one by demonstrating a nonracial reason for eliminating the juror.

Still, prosecutors found ways to get around this new rule, as demonstrated by an infamous training video made in Philadelphia in the late 1980s after the court's decision in Batson. The video features then-Assistant District Attorney Jack McMahon advising trainees that "young black women are very bad, maybe because they're downtrodden on two respects ... they're women and they're blacks."

He goes on to recommend avoiding older black women, too, as well as young black men, and all smart and well-educated prospective jurors.

But, McMahon reminded the trainees that they had to come up with a nonracial reason for their strikes: "When you do have a black juror, you question them at length and on this little sheet that you have, mark something down that you can articulate at a later time if something happens," he says.

Studies have shown that these proffered reasons are often a mere pretext for racial discrimination. A North Carolina study of jury selection in 173 death penalty cases found that black prospective jurors were more than twice as likely to be struck by the prosecution as similarly situated white jurors. A 2003 study of 390 felony jury trials prosecuted in Jefferson Parish, La., found that black prospective jurors were struck at three times the rate of whites. And in Houston County, Ala., prosecutors between 2005 and 2009 used their peremptory strikes to eliminate 80 percent of the blacks qualified for jury service in death penalty cases. The result was that half of these juries were all white, and the remainder had only a single black member, even though the county is 27 percent black.

At Timothy Foster's trial in Rome, Ga., the prosecutor used four of his nine peremptory strikes to knock out all the qualified black jurors in the jury pool. The defense cried foul, but the trial judge and every appellate court after that, including the Georgia Supreme Court, accepted the nonracial reasons. The prosecutors gave as many as a dozen reasons for striking each black prospective juror. These justifications included things like "failure to make eye contact," looking "bored," being "divorced," or "a social worker," and so on.

The appellate courts continued to accept these excuses even after Foster's lawyers obtained the prosecutor's notes in 2006 under the Georgia Open Records Act. It is rare that defense lawyers ever see these notes, and in this case, the prosecution's worksheets were not subtle.

The name of each black prospective juror was highlighted in green, circled and labeled with a "B." At the Supreme Court on Monday, defense lawyer Stephen Bright of the Southern Center for Human Rights will tell the justices that everything about those notes reeks of racial discrimination.

"They were referred to by B1, B2, B3," Bright says. "There were comparisons made among the black jurors that, if we have to take a black, maybe Ms. Hardge will be OK, or maybe Ms. Garrett will be OK. They didn't, of course, take either one of those."

Bright contends that the state of Georgia continues to change its story about the justifications. For example, prosecutors initially said they struck juror Eddie Hood because he had a son close to the defendant's age. Later, when it turned out that two white jurors had sons who were close in age, too, the prosecutor gave a different "bottom line" reason: Hood was a member of the Church of Christ.

"They insisted that the Church of Christ took a strong position against the death penalty and that any member of the Church of Christ would vote against the death penalty," Bright says.

In fact, the Church of Christ took no position on the death penalty; the prosecution notes reflect that, and Hood testified that he could vote for the death penalty.

Then there was prospective juror Marilyn Garrett. The prosecution said it struck her because she was close to the age of the defendant. Foster was 19 at the time of trial, and Garrett was 34. In contrast, the prosecution accepted eight white jurors under 35, one of whom was only two years older than Foster.

The state of Georgia refused to provide anyone to be interviewed for this story. But the state's brief says that any attempt to characterize the jury challenges as racially motivated "ignore[s] the multifaceted nature of jury selection." And the brief does provide a variety of reasons for each juror who was struck, reasons that the defense argues were not applied to similarly situated white prospective jurors.

The state's brief contends that the only reason prosecutors labeled the race of the prospective black jurors was to rebut the anticipated race discrimination claim by the defense.

No briefs have been filed in support of the state's position in the case. But, that earlier mentioned group of former state and federal prosecutors is urging the Supreme Court to invalidate Foster's conviction because of "blatant prosecutorial misconduct."

They point to study after study showing that when it comes to getting rid of racial discrimination, the current system doesn't work. Prosecutors, they say, easily game the system by giving pretextual explanations, particularly in the South. In North Carolina, for example, prosecutors routinely handed out a one-page list of such reasons in training sessions.

Judges seem to have a high threshold for seeing racial bias, even in supposedly liberal states. In California, for instance, the state Supreme Court has dealt with 114 Batson appeals since 1993, according to court opinions, and in only one case out of the 114 did the state's highest court find evidence of racial discrimination.

"It's very hard politically with elected judges, very hard psychologically with judges and prosecutors who work together all the time, for a judge to make that finding," defense lawyer Bright says.

It's also true that statistical studies show that more racially diverse juries are in fact more skeptical of the prosecution's case and less likely to impose the death penalty. A 2004 study by the Capital Jury Project found that in cases with a black defendant and a white victim, the chances of a jury imposing the death sentence were sharply lower if one or more black men served on the jury.

Monday's Supreme Court case is widely viewed as a chance for the justices to once again rap the knuckles of the lower courts, but it's unlikely the court will be willing to establish hard and fast rules to prevent the kind of systemic discrimination that most in the criminal justice system acknowledge has plagued the courts from coast to coast.

Most experts say the only way to do that would be to eliminate or drastically limit peremptory strikes, and that is a nonstarter for one simple reason. Most trial lawyers continue to believe these challenges are an essential tool for selecting a jury.

The link has a picture of the prosecutors notes where the highlighted all the black jurors with a "B".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mandy Thompson posted:

The link has a picture of the prosecutors notes where the highlighted all the black jurors with a "B".
BJ: Black Juror Bad Judgement

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Mandy Thompson posted:

Everything wrong with American justice in less than a minute. Justice and impartiality are lies. It's not unfair by mistake, It's unfair by design. It was always about control and never about justice. Innocent people get ducked in because people like this mother fucker want more people in to scare everyone into total capitulation.

http://www.npr.org/2015/11/02/452898470/supreme-court-takes-on-racial-discrimination-in-jury-selection

This is from 1987

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Jarmak posted:

This is from 1987

And yet nothing has changed since then to prevent the exact same thing from happening.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
I'm honestly amazed the Supreme Court agreed to hear this, though on the other hand they already ruled that racism is over so...

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Stereotype posted:

And yet nothing has changed since then to prevent the exact same thing from happening.

Yeah nothing about race relations has changed in America since 1987, the year it stopped being totally legal to dismiss jurors just for being black.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Jarmak posted:

Yeah nothing about race relations has changed in America since 1987, the year it stopped being totally legal to dismiss jurors just for being black.

It's still totally legal to dismiss jurors just for being black as long as you don't say that's why you're doing it, however; hence, the case.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

eSports Chaebol posted:

It's still totally legal to dismiss jurors just for being black as long as you don't say that's why you're doing it, however; hence, the case.

The case is from 1987

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jarmak posted:

The case is from 1987

The case is from 1987 but the article refers to some kind of current deliberation, I'm not sure what exactly it's suggesting is happening though.

Unless it's only just reached the supreme court.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 3, 2015

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
What would happen if it simply became impossible to strike jurors unless they had a direct conflict of interest with the case?

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

-Troika- posted:

What would happen if it simply became impossible to strike jurors unless they had a direct conflict of interest with the case?

Well we would have, like, 40 person juries for one thing

and the claw won!
Jul 10, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

The case is from 1987 but the article refers to some kind of current deliberation, I'm not sure what exactly it's suggesting is happening though.

The original case is from 1987 and had been long done with, but then just recently Freedom of Information type stuff let people get ahold of the prosecution's notes from the 1987 case, which show the highlighting of black jurors with the letter B and etc. So this case is kind of being brought on this new evidence of discrimination.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
The B stands for Barry Soetoro.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Tough posted:

Well we would have, like, 40 person juries for one thing

Well, assuming you can only take jurors up to the usual limit, of course.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Yes, its only just reached the supreme court

-Troika- posted:

Jurors can lie about bias just as well as prosecutors can lie about racial discrimination, as the article mentions there's no real easy solution to this because defense attorney's are just as keen to retain the ability to do peremptory strikes as prosecutors are.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Jarmak posted:

This is from 1987

quote:

Studies have shown that these proffered reasons are often a mere pretext for racial discrimination. A North Carolina study of jury selection in 173 death penalty cases found that black prospective jurors were more than twice as likely to be struck by the prosecution as similarly situated white jurors. A 2003 study of 390 felony jury trials prosecuted in Jefferson Parish, La., found that black prospective jurors were struck at three times the rate of whites. And in Houston County, Ala., prosecutors between 2005 and 2009 used their peremptory strikes to eliminate 80 percent of the blacks qualified for jury service in death penalty cases. The result was that half of these juries were all white, and the remainder had only a single black member, even though the county is 27 percent black.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Oh yes I'm quite sure that if you cherry pick the worst of the south it's completely hosed to this day, there's no easy answer to the issue though, especially when there's still areas where human actors that make up the entire system just wholesale doesn't want to do what its supposed to do. Its not however:

Mandy Thompson posted:

One must also remember that there are many other racial disparities in this country that present legit reasons for removing a juror, such as criminal background. Without knowing more its kind of like throwing out your computer because the power has gone out, if you want to fix problems its kind of important to separate the source of the problem from the second order effects of the symptoms.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Jarmak posted:

One must also remember that there are many other racial disparities in this country that present legit reasons for removing a juror, such as criminal background. Without knowing more its kind of like throwing out your computer because the power has gone out, if you want to fix problems its kind of important to separate the source of the problem from the second order effects of the symptoms.

It's still pretty drat insidious when "legitimate" reasons bar members of a socially-imposed criminal underclass from having a supposed check they are supposed to have against the creation of such an underclass, though!

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

Jarmak posted:

Oh yes I'm quite sure that if you cherry pick the worst of the south it's completely hosed to this day, there's no easy answer to the issue though, especially when there's still areas where human actors that make up the entire system just wholesale doesn't want to do what its supposed to do. Its not however:

I am pretty sure you don't need to use your peremptory strikes for that.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Jarmak posted:

It's good to know that no matter what facts you're presented with your analysis stays the exact same: it's not a problem, and if it is a problem we can't do anything about it. I am sure you are debating this in good faith though.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot
Its not the just south that is the problem

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Helsing posted:

It's good to know that no matter what facts you're presented with your analysis stays the exact same: it's not a problem, and if it is a problem we can't do anything about it. I am sure you are debating this in good faith though.

I didn't say there wasn't a problem I said I think the selection process isn't the source of it.

The rest of my post was literally the same conclusion the npr article came to.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Jarmak posted:

I didn't say there wasn't a problem I said I think the selection process isn't the source of it.

The rest of my post was literally the same conclusion the npr article came to.

What is the source?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Lid posted:

What is the source?

Of there being a disproportionate number of black jurors dismissed? The two biggest but non-exhaustive reasons I suspect off the top of my head are racism of individual actors and the disproportionate amount of black people involved in the criminal justice system. The second doesn't just mean people dismissed because they have criminal records, but also people who have friends and family who are involved in the system, and also that fact that (as the statistics bear out) black people on the jury are more likely to be skeptical of police testimony.

That last bit is kind of interesting because getting rid of someone from the jury who is less likely to find your witnesses credible is kind of the point, but for obvious reasons in this case is completely inappropriate. It does however create incentive for prosecutors who play loose with the rules to try to get rid of black jurors without having any sort of racist motivation behind it.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Do the jury the jury selection and interviews through a computer with the jurors sitting in a separate room. Gender, race, religion, appearance etc- none of it should matter. Would be cool if the jury never got to know the gender and race of the defendant either but small steps.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Jarmak posted:

Of there being a disproportionate number of black jurors dismissed? The two biggest but non-exhaustive reasons I suspect off the top of my head are racism of individual actors and the disproportionate amount of black people involved in the criminal justice system. The second doesn't just mean people dismissed because they have criminal records, but also people who have friends and family who are involved in the system, and also that fact that (as the statistics bear out) black people on the jury are more likely to be skeptical of police testimony.

That last bit is kind of interesting because getting rid of someone from the jury who is less likely to find your witnesses credible is kind of the point, but for obvious reasons in this case is completely inappropriate. It does however create incentive for prosecutors who play loose with the rules to try to get rid of black jurors without having any sort of racist motivation behind it.

Racist motivation doesn't matter. It has a racist effect.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Obdicut posted:

Racist motivation doesn't matter. It has a racist effect.

Uh yeah no poo poo

Jarmak posted:

for obvious reasons in this case is completely inappropriate

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Anosmoman posted:

Do the jury the jury selection and interviews through a computer with the jurors sitting in a separate room. Gender, race, religion, appearance etc- none of it should matter. Would be cool if the jury never got to know the gender and race of the defendant either but small steps.

That would actually be interesting as an experiment to see the effects.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

I'm really not sure what you're trying to say Jarmak, can you clarify the point that you want to make about this?

vvv Thanks. That clears it up.

captainblastum fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 4, 2015

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

captainblastum posted:

I'm really not sure what you're trying to say Jarmak, can you clarify the point that you want to make about this?

That racially disparate outcomes in jury selection are second order effects from racial disparity in other aspects of the system/society. That the selection process itself is not broken as some posters have declared, and loving with it is going to cause more harm then good.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape
So being judged by your peers isn't a problem when you're a minority and they stack the jury with white people?

It may not be problem #1 or or even #10 but fixing it so a defendant being tried for things like driving while black may actually get a fair trial if the jury has people on it that have experienced the same profiling. Convincing 12 white people that a black defendant is being railroaded is just a bit harder.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jarmak posted:

That racially disparate outcomes in jury selection are second order effects from racial disparity in other aspects of the system/society. That the selection process itself is not broken as some posters have declared, and loving with it is going to cause more harm then good.

Same, but for movie theaters, restaurants, beaches, housing, and employment.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Jarmak posted:

It is a second order effect which reinforces first order effects. That's a really, really big problem. It's cyclical, like redlining: surely most realtors do it because they care about keeping house prices up rather than because they are racist, but the very fact that segregation keeps house prices up is enabled in part by redlining.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jarmak posted:

They're not being asked whether they have friends and family in the system and then being dismissed based on that totally valid reason, though. So either prosecutors are just assuming it solely based on the color of their skin (which is racist, and leads to more uncomfortable questions like why they're content to rely entirely on statistics rather than just asking, and don't seem concerned about white jurors possibly having someone in the system), or you're wrong.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mandy Thompson posted:

Eat some roast beef sandwiches with horseradish, then get to work on this problem. We're all counting on you -- and delicious, nourishing beef.

Hopefully the supreme court will do something about this travesty, and eat their sandwiches before they get to work.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

Arglebargle III posted:

Eat some roast beef sandwiches with horseradish, then get to work on this problem. We're all counting on you -- and delicious, nourishing beef.

Hopefully the supreme court will do something about this travesty, and eat their sandwiches before they get to work.

huh?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

They're not being asked whether they have friends and family in the system and then being dismissed based on that totally valid reason, though. So either prosecutors are just assuming it solely based on the color of their skin (which is racist, and leads to more uncomfortable questions like why they're content to rely entirely on statistics rather than just asking, and don't seem concerned about white jurors possibly having someone in the system), or you're wrong.

Or you don't know how a challenge for cause works, because that alone would not get someone dismissed, and its very likely the prosecutor did ask them that as those are the types of questions attorneys base their use of peremptory challenges on.

eSports Chaebol posted:

It is a second order effect which reinforces first order effects. That's a really, really big problem. It's cyclical, like redlining: surely most realtors do it because they care about keeping house prices up rather than because they are racist, but the very fact that segregation keeps house prices up is enabled in part by redlining.

Except redlining isn't playing a an irreplaceable role in the justice system that both sides of the courtroom agrees needs to be there. Also by claiming this a cyclical effect you're making an awful big assumption that being less likely to convict means more likely to have the correct verdict.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jarmak posted:

Or you don't know how a challenge for cause works, because that alone would not get someone dismissed, and its very likely the prosecutor did ask them that as those are the types of questions attorneys base their use of peremptory challenges on.

This isn't about challenge for cause, though. It's about peremptory strikes. Prosecutors use their peremptory strikes on black jurors, and when challenged to provide a nonracial reason for the strike, they say the juror "looked bored" or "didn't make eye contact", not "they had a relative in prison". Did you actually read the OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

This isn't about challenge for cause, though. It's about peremptory strikes. Prosecutors use their peremptory strikes on black jurors, and when challenged to provide a nonracial reason for the strike, they say the juror "looked bored" or "didn't make eye contact", not "they had a relative in prison". Did you actually read the OP?

Apparently you didn't because that part was talking specifically about the 1987 case

• Locked thread