Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007
"How does giving [class] [special legal privileges, based entirely upon their class membership] create special classes of people who get legal privileges based on skin color?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007
It's less objectionable if you offer it to everyone, I guess. But it's still an offensive idea because it's predicated on different groups of people being incapable of judging each other fairly; you could be advocating for race-specific legal systems with the exact same arguments. I mean the foundation of the idea is that your peers of different ethnicities aren't really your peers. Ignoring that, even if it were implemented wouldn't fix the problem - assuming it works as you think it would and the different "sections" cancel each other out all you did was generate a bunch of mistrials.

I wouldn't be opposed to some kind of monitoring, like if the racial makeup of juries in a given county differed wildly from that of the eligible population some kind of evaluation happened, that'd be fine. I just don't think racial quotas for juries would be effective enough to justify perverting such a major part of the legal system.

quote:

"Whoa whoa, it's just coincidence that you're being judged by an all-white jury who hates you, I didn't even notice! Maybe you're the racist who is obsessed with color, hey?"

Anecdotally, when I did jury duty (black defendant, DV) all four of the black potential jurors that were called up got themselves dismissed on purpose by ranting about the system or the police until the judge told them to shut up. Probably because the pay was only $15 a day.

• Locked thread