Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Jarmak posted:

Oh yes I'm quite sure that if you cherry pick the worst of the south it's completely hosed to this day

So the issue of juror racial discrimination is only a problem when applied to the South, where the majority of black americans live? great thanks 4 the valuable insight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

qwertyman posted:

I absolutely agree with this. I do not see the point of peremptory challenges when any venire person can be struck for cause. Peremptory challenges make it less likely that a juror a defendant or prosecutor faces will be a jury truly comprised of their peers.

In theory it allows you to remove people with prejudiced notions on the case as a result of biased reporting of the case in a nonlegal fashion.

In practice though its just about the prosecutor removing as many sympathetic jurors as they can while the public attorney tries to get to his next case as fast as possible.

• Locked thread