Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gavok posted:

Punisher: Back to School Special #2. I could probably post the entire 8-page story in the badass thread, but it truly deserves to be posted here:

That time the Punisher killed Gwar.

Also that time the Punisher wore a mask for some reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MonsieurChoc posted:

I don't know, that doesn't seem as crazy as body horror got in the 80s/90s.
Well yeah. The Age of AIDS and all.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

"Something subtle."

*punches a dude in the face*

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

McSpanky posted:

Also that time the Punisher wore a mask for some reason?

It's a motorcycle helmet. For God's sake, man, you wouldn't want Frank to take part in reckless behavior.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Travis343 posted:

"Something subtle."

*punches a dude in the face*
Well, technically speaking, for Frank that is subtle.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Wanderer posted:

I'd argue that Marvel's editorial department in the era that gives us X-Treme X-Men does give a poo poo, but the whole company is in full Joey-Q experiment mode and they're willing to try just about anything. The same period gives you a lot of weird and experimental books: Marville, Trouble, Get Kraven, the last four issues of that volume of Thunderbolts, etc.
I'd do Marville, but I think 4thletter and ComicsAlliance already said anything I could. It remains the only book so bad I returned the TPB to the store with a flimsy excuse about shelf wear.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Gavok posted:

It's a motorcycle helmet. For God's sake, man, you wouldn't want Frank to take part in reckless behavior.

oh man I want to believe that was an editorial mandate SO BAD

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Meggan is easily influenced okay.

She loves Captain Britian and he is a raging douchebag.

I liked Cornell's answer to that problem, the idea that her influence is two-way, so she can push her feelings out to others as well.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

A Fancy Bloke posted:

oh man I want to believe that was an editorial mandate SO BAD

Along with the spikes on his gloves I'd like to believe the mandate was "Make him look like Azrael, but Punisher".

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
I was never a fan of the character but at one point in the 90s I swear he had like 4 monthly books and I have no idea how to get that many variations on the story of "He kills criminals with guns"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

A Fancy Bloke posted:

I was never a fan of the character but at one point in the 90s I swear he had like 4 monthly books and I have no idea how to get that many variations on the story of "He kills criminals with guns"

One was literally "Here are the guns he uses TO kill criminals"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

That one wasn't monthly, though.

Really, though, while I'm not defending the need for four Punisher books, you can reduce any individual's multiple comics like that: "I have no idea how to get that many variations on the story of '[Batman/Spider-Man/Superman] beats up criminals'"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Gaz-L posted:

Back before Wikipedia existed, you could get a lot of mileage at just depicting and describing exotic guns. Like, every roleplaying game from the 90s has an equipment list with dozens of guns, with a lot of wowing over futuristic assault rifles like the PN90. A lot of nerds believe weird gun myths because of writers and artists misunderstanding things.

Punisher Armory did give us this, though:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Halloween Jack posted:

I'd do Marville, but I think 4thletter and ComicsAlliance already said anything I could. It remains the only book so bad I returned the TPB to the store with a flimsy excuse about shelf wear.

Hang on, back up a second.

Somebody actually thought that loving Marville deserved a TPB??? :psypop:

Ok, I can see Bill Jemas thinking that. God I hate that man.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Wanderer posted:

Brian K. Vaughan can't shut up about whatever neat but largely irrelevant facts he happened to learn while researching his story
I'd say that describes Neil Gaiman as well, who seemingly writes stories merely to show off any interesting bits of trivia he's picked up.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Hang on, back up a second.

Somebody actually thought that loving Marville deserved a TPB??? :psypop:

Ok, I can see Bill Jemas thinking that. God I hate that man.

Wow, labeling it "Volume 1" was optimistic as hell.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Oh gently caress you Bill Jemas.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Picklepuss posted:

I'd say that describes Neil Gaiman as well, who seemingly writes stories merely to show off any interesting bits of trivia he's picked up.

It could be worse. It could be Caitlin Kiernan, who is the one who ended up taking over when the spin-off series The Dreaming was decided to be an ongoing instead of an anthology about a third of the way in. She focuses on just one thing she learned in research--in this case the Victorian "secret language of flowers". And throws it into every single issue.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Picklepuss posted:

American Gods was basically entirely trivia about various mythologies, weird little tourist sites, coin tricks and confidence tricks. I still liked it.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Wanderer posted:

Brian K. Vaughan can't shut up about whatever neat but largely irrelevant facts he happened to learn while researching his story
Scott Snyder does it too: One character in The Wake spends several pages going into detail about an unusual whale even though it has nothing to do with the plot.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Action Jacktion posted:

I really don't like it when characters just happen to know historical anecdotes or pieces of trivia that fit whatever the situation is. Scott Snyder does it too: One character in The Wake spends several pages going into detail about an unusual whale even though it has nothing to do with the plot.
Was it something his father once told him?

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Action Jacktion posted:

Scott Snyder does it too: One character in The Wake spends several pages going into detail about an unusual whale even though it has nothing to do with the plot.

It's either that or starting with the recounting of an anecdote told by a parental figure, most often a dad.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I distinctly remember reading Marville as a ten year old or so and being so confused.

Howard Beale posted:

Alan Davis could also do straight-up body horror on his own, like the two-parter where Jamie Braddock shows up in his underwear and fucks Excalibur's poo poo up.

Alan Davis is such a good artist that even with body horror you just admire how well he put the scene together. Even as a kid when he switched out of a book it sucked.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 27, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Archyduke posted:

That being said-- Chris Claremont's ain't Ursula K. Leguin, and it's hard to read Cyclops getting spoonfed baby food or whatever, or Jean Grey hanging out in a sewer with tentacles, without feeling embarrassed for everybody involved. For all of his pre-occupation with sexuality, Claremont is often a spectacularly un-sexy writer-- especially when working in that speculative, would-be transgressive vein. But it still has to be acknowledged, I think, and also noted that these are all themes that Grant Morrison picks up on in his run (as well as, I'd hazard, in Flex Mentallo). Basically, if Chris Claremont wasn't a weirdo, I doubt there'd be anything in the franchise that Morrison would have been drawn to. It was Claremont's key insight, maybe the key to his entire run, that a secret club of fit, dramatic young adults with weird powers would be some kind of bizarre five-alarm fuckfest beyond the ken of mere human minds. But it's his weakness as a writer that that fuckfest almost always seemed deeply stupid, and even worse, sometimes involved Doug Ramsey.

This in particular gets to the heart of why it's so weird to read: Claremont cannot write erotica. So you have these bowlderized erotic scenarios that are already pretty awkward paired with stilted speech patterns.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I Think you all are reading way to much into this.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This in particular gets to the heart of why it's so weird to read: Claremont cannot write erotica. So you have these bowlderized erotic scenarios that are already pretty awkward paired with stilted speech patterns.

I don't think he's really trying to write erotica, even if he was in a position to be doing so.

What he's really writing is '70s sex scifi, in the vein of something like Heinlein's Friday.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I read one of his original sci-fi novels. There's a zero-g sex scene. It's pretty ridiculous.

(The dude in the sex scene later gets turned into a half-man, half-cat-person. Because the aliens in the book are cat people.)

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

To be slightly fair, zero-G sex will probably be pretty ridiculous.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh god I remember that book.

Also the crash airbags that filled up all their bodily orfices for extra cushioning.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Wanderer posted:

I don't think he's really trying to write erotica, even if he was in a position to be doing so.

What he's really writing is '70s sex scifi, in the vein of something like Heinlein's Friday.

Yes, it is a lot like the matter-of-fact unsexiness of a Heinlen, definitely.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Oh god I remember that book.

Also the crash airbags that filled up all their bodily orfices for extra cushioning.

Didn't Charles Stross pull that one in Saturn's Children too?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CharlestheHammer posted:

If you've actually read a decent amount of Claremont's X-Men, you wouldn't say this.

He's also easily the best writer the X-Men ever had.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

CharlestheHammer posted:

That's half the fun.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Skwirl posted:

If you've actually read a decent amount of Claremont's X-Men, you wouldn't say this.

Honestly most of the really weird poo poo is in the spinoff X-books.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Skwirl posted:

I have read most of it and it definetly is his fetishes sneaking in, but it is not suppose to be erotic.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I read one of his original sci-fi novels. There's a zero-g sex scene. It's pretty ridiculous.

(The dude in the sex scene later gets turned into a half-man, half-cat-person. Because the aliens in the book are cat people.)

Yeah, there's a scene in what must have been the sequel to that where the protagonist gets ritually adopted into the aliens' society, complete with naked body painting. I can't remember much about the novel itself aside from that scene.

I did think it was funny that the protagonist mentions she's a huge Lila Cheney fan, though.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Selachian posted:

Didn't Charles Stross pull that one in Saturn's Children too?

that one's explicitly a Heinlein riff.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST
It's 1965, and the popularity of Wonder Woman as a comic is not what it was. Looking for a solution to declining sales figures, long-time writer/editor Robert Kanigher had cottoned on to the fact that there was now suddenly a lot interest in those crummy old comics from 20 years ago, and figured it would be a killer move to dump all the accoutrements of Silver Age Wonder Woman(Wonder Girl, Wonder Tot, Mer-Boy, etc), and revert everything back to the glory days of the William Moulton Marston era. To do this, he wrote himself into the comic and "fired" his entire supporting cast.

Bear in mind that this all happened as a back-up story in the same issue that Wonder Woman and Steve Trevor battled Egg-Fu, a giant communist egg with a magical moustache.

Robert Kanigher: The Grant Morrison of the Silver Age.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lamest way that a Teen Titan has died yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Travis343 posted:

Honestly most of the really weird poo poo is in the spinoff X-books.

Oh I don't know; there was Nanny in Uncanny X-men 247-248 who trapped half the team in suits that made them think they were young children and kidnapped Storm and actually de-aged her.

• Locked thread