Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

TwoPair posted:

Lamest way that a Teen Titan has died yet.

Aquagirl drowned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
That seems pretty counter to what you'd expect

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Those Wonder Woman pages are incredible-- I knew that science fiction fan culture had already codified a pretty familiar-sounding lexicon by the 60s, but it's still jarring and a little heart-warming to see the mega nerds of 1965 hawking zines and agitating for retcons.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

dordreff posted:

Aquagirl drowned.

Wasn't that during the Crisis when Chemo polluted the water?

Christ, those Psylocke panels.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yeah, as weird as the Asification of Psylocke was, it still needs to be said that when she was still British and with the X-men, pretty much every time she wasn't actively going TO the battles, she was invariably getting caught in some sort of state of undress, sometimes fully naked. Like it was practically a running gag that she never seemed to be wearing clothes and yet had people interrupt whatever she was doing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Didnt she get armor then the armor kept falling off?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Didnt she get armor then the armor kept falling off?

Look, just because Sir Patrick played Xavier doesn't mean we have to turn this into an Extras bit...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Nah, she kept taking it off herself. Like "oh, this armor's too heavy for me to swim across this stream that just so happens to be between me and the bad guys' lair..."

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

For all the Clarmont mind control and such that gets bandied about, it's really this sort of stuff that keeps surprising me to see in this thread. I'm not sure exactly why, but when it delves into transformation without body horror it feels very strange.

Might be because I know internet fetish material is WAY more like this than anything else he's done that I've seen. Even if he wasn't into that sexually, the people that are do things this way so it feels like that. It's like how all the 90s cartoons with anthropomorphic animals feel different now that furries have co-opted the style.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cleretic posted:

For all the Clarmont mind control and such that gets bandied about, it's really this sort of stuff that keeps surprising me to see in this thread. I'm not sure exactly why, but when it delves into transformation without body horror it feels very strange.

It's a little horrific.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Well, one thing that bears mentioning is that Psylocke being kiddified is an illusion. It's not literally happening, for what it's worth, though how Nanny plows through Psylocke's mental defenses isn't clear, given that she's explicitly a low-level telepath. Nanny also isn't a robot, which was established at this point. But Claremont wants what he wants, so drat the continuity!

Storm would be literally kiddified by Nanny, however, using some vague machine. Granted, this wasn't a new element in Claremont books- see Wolverine and Kitty Pryde for an even creepier version of the same trope.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

prefect posted:

It's a little horrific.

Yeah, but it's not the same kind of horror here, it's not as overt or visceral. It's 'think about this for more than a few seconds and your stomach turns at the implications'.

I definitely get the feeling that Claremont knew that, at least, that's definitely intentionally present there. But I'm used to seeing people using many of the same tropes without that awareness (or with an entirely different type of awareness), so there's an entirely new edge to that vague horror there.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also he KEEPS DOING IT. I've lost track of the number of times the X Men have been turned into babies.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It was old hat by the time Excalibur started... #6

Also, hey, what do you know, Claremont did create the X-babies.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

SynthOrange posted:

Also he KEEPS DOING IT. I've lost track of the number of times the X Men have been turned into babies.
When your Danger Room looks kinda weird, and you wish that you weren't there...

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yes, Claremont wrote Uncanny X-Men #10, where all of the X-Men are de-aged by Mojo.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, one thing that bears mentioning is that Psylocke being kiddified is an illusion. It's not literally happening, for what it's worth, though how Nanny plows through Psylocke's mental defenses isn't clear, given that she's explicitly a low-level telepath. Nanny also isn't a robot, which was established at this point. But Claremont wants what he wants, so drat the continuity!

Storm would be literally kiddified by Nanny, however, using some vague machine. Granted, this wasn't a new element in Claremont books- see Wolverine and Kitty Pryde for an even creepier version of the same trope.

To be fair, Jean Grey also thought she was a robot the first time she encountered her, and was quite surprised when this turned out to not be true.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yes, Claremont wrote Uncanny X-Men #10, where all of the X-Men are de-aged by Mojo.

He did? I thought that was already the Jim Lee era after Marvel pushed out the guy who actually made the series successful in favor of a guy who'd leave a year or so later to make such great comics as WILDCATs and Stormwatch.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Sorry, I meant Uncanny X-Men Annual #10.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Wasn't there like a whole team of clone X-babies at some point?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

DarkCrawler posted:

Wasn't there like a whole team of clone X-babies at some point?

Yeah, the X-Babies were made by Mojo specifically as an adorable team to star in his dimension's cartoons. The story that introduced them was a fairly blatant parody of merchandising practices, Marvel, and of the creative team itself. (Claremont's own stand-in goes on an angry tirade about how stupid an idea the whole thing is and Mojo kills him.)

The same story also introduces (and immediately disposes of, as they are stupid ideas) Robot X-Men, Gender-Flipped X-Men, Cute Talking Animal X-Men, and Hard-Drinking Evening-Wear X-Men.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Wanderer posted:

Yeah, the X-Babies were made by Mojo specifically as an adorable team to star in his dimension's cartoons. The story that introduced them was a fairly blatant parody of merchandising practices, Marvel, and of the creative team itself. (Claremont's own stand-in goes on an angry tirade about how stupid an idea the whole thing is and Mojo kills him.)

The same story also introduces (and immediately disposes of, as they are stupid ideas) Robot X-Men, Gender-Flipped X-Men, Cute Talking Animal X-Men, and Hard-Drinking Evening-Wear X-Men.

Hard-Drinking Evening-Wear X-Men sounds like it had a lot of potential, actually.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wanderer posted:

If I'm remembering correctly, this issue features Art Adams art and I thought it was terrific back in the day, featuring jokes about TV and media and so forth. Creating X-babies bothered me less than de-aging the actual X-people. :shrug:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

It'd be sort of funny to do some kind of megapost or blog entry about all the ways in which various creative sorts appeared in '80s Marvel. I just learned from "Jay and Miles X-Plain the X-Men" the answer to something I've wondered about for years: the angry, half-insane Hollywood screenwriter who gets turned into a supervillain in Secret Wars II #1 is a stand-in for Steve Gerber, depicted as unsympathetically as Jim Shooter can manage.

Off the top of my head, Jim and Maggie Power, the Power Pack's parents, are a young Walter and Louise Simonson; John Byrne was teleported into space to watch the Trial of Reed Richards in person, because he was working on the FF's officially licensed comic at the time; and Marvel Comics existed, or at least used to exist, within the Marvel Universe, complete with its entire staff.

RZApublican posted:

Hard-Drinking Evening-Wear X-Men sounds like it had a lot of potential, actually.

I just dug up the issue (Uncanny Annual #12). Turns out I was remembering it wrong.

http://imgur.com/a/CBm1v

(A lot of potential avatar fodder here, really.)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

X Babies, Mojo, and the Mojoverse are all pretty awesome. It's like they looked at Arcade, and cranked the weirdness up several notches.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

The X-Babies were a pretty blunt indictment of the direction the x-books were taking and it's actually pretty good satire. The de-aged X-Men was the prelude to that, though I don't think they were referred to as "X-Babies" specifically- only the clones are.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well yeah people do this weird thing were they project fetishes onto Chris whether it makes sense or not.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm kind of wondering why several of those X-Men knockoffs apparently just plummet straight to their doom when at least a few should be able to fly away. Actually that would be an interesting story - a team of Mojo's castoff X-Men trying to survive in a world that doesn't so much hate and fear them but wants to kill them off because they don't see any value in their continued existence.

It'd be a neat commentary on the killing off of D-List characters.

Also hey, Mojo predicted the All-New Wolverine (although the costume has a few errors).

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I think my avatar cameos as a look for Archangel in the far right of the Naughty X-Men panel.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm kind of wondering why several of those X-Men knockoffs apparently just plummet straight to their doom when at least a few should be able to fly away.
I'd like to think they're non-sentient synthoids or androids or whatever 'cause the alternative is something way too morbid for me to find even remotely funny. :smith:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

The implication in the issue is that most of them are just people from Mojoworld who "auditioned" for a role as X-Men stand-ins, since the original X-Men were "dead" in the wake of the Fall of the Mutants crossover.

Basically reality gets a little weird in Mojoworld, especially once Mojo is around, and you can brush a lot of inconsistencies off due to that.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Wanderer posted:

I just dug up the issue (Uncanny Annual #12). Turns out I was remembering it wrong.

http://imgur.com/a/CBm1v

(A lot of potential avatar fodder here, really.)

I love how Wolverine keeps getting shorter with each iteration.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

What animal should we make Wolverine? I dunno, a bulldog I guess.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Picklepuss posted:

I'd like to think they're non-sentient synthoids or androids or whatever 'cause the alternative is something way too morbid for me to find even remotely funny. :smith:

Mojo in his earlier appearances is was much, much more monstrous than the kind of gag villain he became later on. Granted, he always had a heavy dose of black humor, but in his earliest appearances he was a terrifying force of life-destroying corruption.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

You can insult Mojo all you want but at least he tries to think outside the box.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Die Laughing posted:

X Babies, Mojo, and the Mojoverse are all pretty awesome. It's like they looked at Arcade, and cranked the weirdness up several notches.

Hey, on that note, is the original Longshot miniseries by Ann Nocenti any good? I'm sure the Art Adams art is gorgeous, but is it a story that would hold up today? Would I ever want to read it more than once? I ask because I have store credit at a used bookstore, and it's one of the TPBs they have.

FWIW, I've read Excalibur: Mojo Mayhem, so I have some passing familiarity with Mojo.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Dr. Hurt posted:

You can insult Mojo all you want but at least he tries to think outside the box.
It's like that Mortal Kombat game where Scorpion's "Animality" was a killer penguin.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

So this all reminded me of the New Mutants summer special, which I thought took place in Mojo's sandbox, but was actually a different TV world that existed to critique mass media culture:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ghostlight posted:

They didn't translate Wolverine in Finnish so I didn't have any idea that he was named after those brown little bastards until I was like 21

(If you google Wolverine the first page is all just Wolverine, not wolverines)

Also wolverine's latin name is literally glutton glutton haha it's also "glutton" in Finnish pretty much...and it's a loving weasel?

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I would wager a lot of kids hear about Wolverine the mutant before they learn what a literal wolverine is. Wolverines aren't really on the animal radar in the same way that like wolves and foxes and deer are.

• Locked thread