Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Sheep-Goats posted:

You know that we had NFC cards before you and we pretty much rejected them, right? That's part of the reason we didn't have chip cards for so long, the techno half assumed we'd just skip over those and go to NFC. Turns out however that people rightly don't trust them and don't like them and won't use them.

Also most Americans have more than one card in their wallet unlike you bogans so there's no "wave your wallet" possible, you still have to dig the card out.

I had an NFC card for a while, one of my previous Chase cards, I think. The only place I ever saw that had a scanner for it was McDonalds, and the couple of times I tried to scan it, it didn't work and I had to swipe it.

The chip cards are definitely having some teething problems. Walmart forces you to use the chip and yeah, 30+ seconds every time. It used to take a signature but then started asking for the PIN instead, and one of my cards didn't have a PIN so I had to get one mailed to me before I could use it there. There are a lot of places near me that have the chip readers, but they're not set up yet so you still have to swipe. And the local Dollar General is set up for the chips, but Chase cards don't work on it so you have to swipe them anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread