Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
Four way stop signs that look like regular stop signs. Which is almost all four way stop signs.

Why put some sort of label on them, when everyone can just . . . notice that a car is stopping on the street, and then, to make sure it's not just randomly stopping for no reason, look for a telltale unpainted side of a metal octagon at an oblique angle. Yes, let's do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

concerned mom posted:

when i went to america last year i went to the EA office in florida and they had these big urinals that were basically like a wall that you piss against and it collects in a tray at the bottom. but the tray and wall-depth were so shallow all you could feel was little minuscule bits of piss spray misting up your ankles. why would anyone do this

These are the urinals in Australia/New Zealand. Always seemed pretty water inefficient. A lot of them flush every X minutes.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Romes128 posted:

Uh where do you live cause every intersection I've seen that has 4 way stop signs will say "all way" right under "stop"

Google had surprisingly few examples for something I see everywhere. (I guess because nobody labels the picture as 4-way unless the sign's labeled.) Anyways, here's an example, and on a four lane road, yay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAXnBKSK_mA

It know it's common enough that regular stop signs need to say this:

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Helical Nightmares posted:

Is this a new trend? I've never seen those "cross traffic does not stop" signs before. At a four way stop or really at any stop sign I always thought you look around and assume the cross traffic will not yield before doing anything.

Edit: I'm assuming someone died at that intersection so they added a new sign.

They are cropping up a lot (because of the sheer number of plain stop signs being used as 4-ways).

https://www.google.com/search?q=cro...CFQx0Pgod-GMD6A

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
If you're using Chrome, try to:

1. Open a few tabs.

2. Press ctrl+F, and type something, like 's', to find it on the page.

3. Click on another tab.

4. Press ctrl+F.

5. There's an 's' in a search box, but nothing happens. You click the up and down search arrows, and nothing happens. You need to take your hand off the mouse and press Enter.

Apparently, we can't have people repeating the same search by clicking an arrow, because that would be bad somehow. We need to disable the arrow and make you press Enter. To make sure you're serious.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

The General posted:

That's interesting. Though why do you need to take your hand off the mouse to hit enter? Do you only have one hand? Or does your keyboard have no numpad, so the enter key is too far for your mouse thumb?

The other hand is pressing ctrl+F, so it's always starting at the opposite side of the keyboard.

Using the thumb of the mouse hand means either letting go of the mouse or always having the mouse a specific distance from the keyboard.

turbomoose posted:

ctrl + tab goes to the next tab
ctrl+shift+tab goes to the last tab

don't use your mouse to change tabs, problem solved

Doesn't make a difference. You still have to press enter to Find.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
I've dreamed of a few things I'd like to patent:

1. A timer circuit on a microwave that clears out the remaining cooking time after a minute of non-use, instead of leaving “0:07” on the microwave forever so the next person has to press 'clear' before using it.

2. A timer circuit on a TV that clears the volume to a low default after the TV is off for a minute, instead of leaving the volume at “92” forever so that you have to turn it on and listen to the blaring sound level possibly waking up babies and such while you dutifully stand there holding the volume down button.

3. A simple flip-flop circuit in a car door that saves the power unlock trigger, so that you can hit “unlock” and it will soon unlock – even if somebody was already starting to pull the handle at that moment. (Instead of being told, “I was pulling the handle. Try hitting unlock again. . . .”)

Since the patent office is giving out patents for videotaping yoga classes now, someone could probably patent these.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Alternatively somebody already has patented them and then proceeded to squat on the patents like a dragon and that's the reason we don't have any of these nice things.

gently caress.

I bet this is why most (and yet not all) drive-thru restaurants seem unable to put a copy of the menu up before you get to the order intercom, so that every person coming through who's not a regular has to keep saying, "give me a minute . . ."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

CJacobs posted:

At my bank's ATMs, the machine now eats the card if it has a chip on it and won't give it back until the transaction is over. What purpose this serves is beyond me, but it is kind of annoying because the moment you have to wait while the machine loads up all your information is now spent staring at the thing instead of putting your card back in your wallet.

This is for a technical reason. The machine cannot store the information contained in the card any more. For each transaction, there is a call and response to and from the chip.

• Locked thread