Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Here's a useful error message from a slideshow I have to read at work: "You may only view slides that you have already viewed". Very useful...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Every few months I get caught out by the fact if I tell my laptop to switch off, then if I don't wait until it has fully shut down and stopped whirring before I close the lid, it will pause the shutdown, and instead go to hibernate. And then of course, when I re-open the laptop, it will leave hibernate mode and freak out for a couple of minutes before completing the shutdown. Very helpful!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
My PS3 manages to annoy me because it seems designed to make the controller I don't want to use be the player 1 controller. I have the normal controller plugged in and use that, and like to have a second controller plugged in to the second slot (usually one with a cord or a third party with a remote sensor in the second slot). Yet every time I switch on the PS3, using the normal controller, it always assigns the player 1 slot to the second controller, so if I need to be in the player 1 slot (as many player games insist on) I have to go through a couple of menus to reassign my controller to player 1. Purely an idiotic design choice made by an unknown idiot, isn't it obvious that if I use a specific controller to switch on the PS3, and plug the second controller into the second port, that I want my controller to be the first?!

I doubt it will be a problem with the PS4 though, since two player games are a thing of the past.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Darth123123 posted:

This is so nerdy I can't see anymore.

Just be glad I didn't throw in a paragraph about how I have to be on the correct side of the screen if I'm playing Street Fighter.

I don't think it's really that nerdy though, it's about as radical a complaint as if you had to start a car's engine from the passenger side. It just seems nerdy as I've had to talk about pressing buttons and playing video games.

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 13, 2016

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
It's time for today's episode of "bug or feature!".

At my workplace there are two methods of claiming expenses. You can do it in advance with an invoice. But, the website used to make these claims is blocked from work PCs. Right then, the other method is to claim the expense after you've paid it. Makes sense. The company recently sent out quite a detailed "how to" guide, telling you to download the app, and the guide itself is very clear, lots of pictures- you can tell they're really pleased they've got such a smart system up and running. Except, when you go to log in to the app, you get an error message saying how the company hasn't bought the license so you can't actually use the app.

Really smart, or really stupid? I just can't tell.

Bonus edition: I very rarely phonepost, but today, because the "enter" key of the keyboard and the "home screen" buttons virtually overlap on my screen, I hit the home screen button instead of enter. And had my original phone-written post deleted, the Awful app deciding it couldn't be bothered to save the post. Feb work all round, guys!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

CJacobs posted:

It's because phones got rid of real buttons in place of lovely touch screen technology, and so you have to make every clickable thing really big so humans can easily press it with their fat inaccurate fingers.

edit: but even then it'll only work about 75% of the time or so. My favorite thing about smart phones is when someone taps something on the screen and it doesn't register, so they tap it again but harder while moving their head cock-eyed toward the screen as if to say "uhhh hello??"

Like with one of the Android screens on my phone, there's big buttons to turn on/off Wi-fi and Airplane mode next to each other. Which is fine, but if you want to change the Wi-fi setting, like, to choose a new Wi-fi network, there's a tiny additional ... button between the two big buttons which you need to click accurately. I don't have fat fingers at all, but it's probably about a 50-50 chance of hitting the ... or just switching to Airplane mode. An almost anatomical level of trolling from the developers there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Mange Mite posted:

This is actually a real problem "flat" design has - it's hard to distinguish between things you interact with and things that just display information because buttons look the same as info panels

I sometimes get confused between the reply button on Twitter and the back button from my phone. I'd think I'm a bit stupid but I really don't see how so many posters here confuse quote and edit.

• Locked thread