Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

mobby_6kl posted:

How about these new Polycom spider thingies?

I appreciate the additional functionality compared to the old dumb ones, but the touchscreen diaplad is the worst thing ever. Not only is it not super responsive, it's just lovely to use compared to physical buttons in general when you have to dial a phone number manually or, you know, punch in the 10-digit conference passcode while looking at the meeting request.

Conference gear in general is loving trash designed by arseholes to annoy idiots into phone for tech support (which where I work, is me.)

Touch pads on everything is the single worst design choice ever made from a use point of view. The vast majority of companies use really cheap screens with godawful tracking and the interface on the screens is often cluttered, buttons too small and too close together which makes it even harder for the crap quality touchscreen to register a press. We have some reasonably nice Cisco kit which isn't bad but the cheaper stuff is just depressingly annoying to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

I suppose this could work without a touchscreen tool, but the upside is supposed to be that you can search and call Lync/Exchange contacts, which is pretty nice. Although on this one it's either disabled or just not functional. And I just had to reboot it to get into the directory at all, otherwise it wouldn't react to button presses at all.

Pretty standard for Polycom equipment...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Komojo posted:

On every cell phone I've owned, it warns me that there's a low battery by vibrating the phone.

...and lighting up the screen to tell you.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

FabioClone posted:

There's a roundabout in Cape Town with traffic lights inside the circle itself.

I'm not sure how it affects the flow of traffic, but it does seem to remove the point of being a roundabout.

Roundabouts are generally a great idea. Where they fall down is when they're used on a route which gets more traffic in one direction which then dominates the flow and causes tailbacks from the other roads leading onto it. So then they put lights on them to try and help the problem. And that just makes things worse as now where gaps in traffic would appear naturally, there's just a big block of traffic coming from one direction.

We had a decent roundabout by work so of course when everyone leaves it gets silly busy. They opened up another lane and added traffic lights and this just makes poo poo worse, traffic backs up even more these days.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

revmoo posted:

The transactions would go through your merchant account.

...and the moment someone complains about being robbed, the person who owns the account is getting locked up for a while.

...and the transaction limit is low enough to make the whole thing not worth the risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Y'know I've never fully understood the word 'podcast' it makes no sense.

• Locked thread