Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

I see no problem with this :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

RideTheSpiral posted:

is this seriously a thing? What does everyone do when they are stopped? why wouldn't you just put a roundabout in like every other country?

there are some roundabouts in the US but nobody know to use them so it's usually a massive failure. to be fair they didnt teach roundabouts when i was learning to drive here.

4 way stops suck. if you're lucky, that tiny sign that says "all way" underneath the main octagon but a lot of time they are missing for some reason for another so generally the best way to tell if it's a 4-way is to look at all the ends of the intersection and make sure they appear to have stop signs too :thumbsup:

when people arrive at a 4-way stop at the same time, whoever got there first goes first. a lot of times it is ambiguous when you pull up at the same time and in that situation eventually somebody will take the initiative and just go. they're not dangerous, just horribly stupid and cause massive traffic congestion whenever they're used at critical intersections that really should have a light.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
here is a terrible "design" straight from a house i was renting previously. in the kitchen, for some inexplicable reason, they made the floor out of this natural stone that creates a rough, completely uneven surface with lots of variation. the bathroom is the same way but it's more of a problem in the kitchen.

i've never seen indoor flooring like this (go figure). it has literally no advantage over tile or whatever else you might use. it looks terrible. it hurts to walk on, some of the edges of the rock cropping up are actually somewhat sharp (not enough to draw blood or anything but still), it gets cold as poo poo in the winter, and if you drop something that isn't plastic you can pretty much loving say goodbye to it.

and when it comes time to clean up after a meal or god forbid... you dropped a glass tray full of food or beer? hahaha have fun digging bits glass out of every single crevice fucko and getting down on your hands and knees with a rag because this poo poo renders all modern cleaning appliances useless. good luck pushing a broom, mop, or vacuum cleaner over this bullshit.

it's probably a little dirty in this pic but that was about as good as you could get them looking :cripes:

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Nov 6, 2015

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

RideTheSpiral posted:

you look to your left and if there is a car coming then you stop. If there isn't a car coming then you drive through

i get it. it's really simple. i'm just saying in the US whenever i encounter them (which is rare) usually if there are other people on the roundabout they're doing something wrong. for eg. lots of people stop or slow down in the round when they see someone waiting ahead at one of the entry points in order to let them in.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
hey i'm all for having more here in the states in fact you should donate to my kickstarter,

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

diabeetz posted:

This would look really nice if there was an overlay of some sort of resin to level it out. Did you have to wear shoes 24/7?

yeah we figure maybe they were planning on doing something more to it and ran out of money or something. it wasn't so bad you had to wear shoes 24/7 though. except for like a month after every time some glass broke in there just to be safe. people living there now probably found some of the glass i've broken.

in their feet

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i dont think anyone here at least has tried to argue that 4-way stops are better than roundabouts.

the only conceivable reason for keeping the pre-existing ones is that converting to roundabouts would take up more space and cause all sorts of complications. well that and the cost.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Bathroom stall doors that open inwards, which in my experience, is all of them. So you have to back up and perhaps touch the toilet with your leg before you can leave. Hurray!

i've literally never had this problem but im guessing if they opened outward youd bump people at the urinal since urinals are often oriented right across from or perpendicular to stalls?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
This reminds me there is a weird place near me that has a bathroom with two side by side toilets and two sinks so you can poop in pairs (also not sochi). Ill try and remember to get a pic next time im there if this thread's stlll around

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
the best part is that it's labeled as a bathroom. the most incomplete bathroom ever built.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Touch screens loving suck almost always. Unless you can hold it in your hand like a phone in which case it ... Still sucks

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

gently caress da Mods posted:

Lol this guy ok man let me get you a sidekick

let me amend what i said: for typing they suck* (even if it were a fuller-sized keyboard like you can basically get on the new huge ipad)

haptic touchscreens WORK very well. unless you're wearing gloves.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

My car is an 03 Corolla, so too late to still have a tape deck, but to new to have any USB, Blurtooth, or even Aux input, so to get my phone to play music, I had to buy a new head unit. I didn't need a fancy one, and have no CDs anymore, so I bought one that doesn't have a CD player, only radio, and Bluetooth, USB, and Aux inputs.

Here it is, in all its dusty glory:

Notice anything missing? I guess because there's no CD player, they figured they didn't need basic features like a PLAY/PAUSE button. So when I connect my phone to it, I have fumble with my phone to play/pause my music/podcasts/whatever.

it's kind of your fault tho for buying a JVC product. they're all poorly designed and utter garbage. like did you not check out the unit before buying it?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
the tesla is just too clowny for me like you open up the hood and it's like "where the gently caress is the engine at?"

then you sit in the drivers seat and it's like "where the gently caress are all the tactile controls for standard equipment?"

and apparently it has a little remote thing that looks like a lovely knockoff console peripheral ?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

CJacobs posted:

:agreed:, what a poo poo design decision. Either that or it's a bug that they just haven't fixed.

sounds like a bug

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Finding bad software ui/ux designs is like shooting fish in a barrel. just look at any "modern" website. cmon post some more engineering fails and hosed up bathrooms pls

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

revmoo posted:

Microwave ovens are loving retarded. Here's the extent of what controls a microwave should have:

O
O

You get a knob for power and a knob for time. Turning the time knob turns on the microwave and it turns off when it hits zero. Add a bunch of stupid potato and popcorn icons to each dial if you want to get crazy. Make the knobs out of magnesium and walnut if you want to sell a fancier model. That's literally all any microwave should ever have for controls.

My grandma has what must be one of the first microwaves sold to consumers it looks like it's from the 60's or earlier (not sure when microwaves started being sold). Anyway it's like what you describe: a knob for time and a knob for power. No spinning platter so good luck cooking something evenly. Anyway, Ill see if she wants to sell it to you.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

What backwards caveman country are you living in where cards with a chip take longer than four or five seconds?

yeah but that's like 5x longer than swiping... those chip readers are kind of crap technology let's face it.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

Wait are you saying that the act of insert card, select account, type in PIN and press enter then wait five seconds and remove card is somehow 5x longer than swipe card

Yes using the chip reader takes 5x as long as swiping at least (assuming it connects quickly once youve inserted the chip end, if not then it can take much longer). God help you if you accidentally remove your card too soon because every chip reader behaves slightly differently whereas basically every swipe scanner works and feels exactly the same plus is instantaneous...

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
why would you shop at walgreens

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
You dont have to apply the same stringent standards you follow in a commercial kitchen to your home kitchen necessarily...

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
What is the best designed big city?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I used another chip reader thing today. First I had to hold my card in the slot the whole time because it wouldn't make a connection resting by itself. Once it did make a connection, it took about 15 seconds to finish. :911:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Terminal Entropy posted:

Even more dumb: issuers like Chase bank seem to only issue cards with chips now, without having people setting up PINs at all, so everyone just Chips and signs, negating the whole loving point.

All my new cards have magnetic stripe and chip. If I try to swipe it (like out of habit) on a new point of sale system that supports chips it determines that my card is chipped and then i have to start over using the chip reader. loving ridiculous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
it's called schema folks. it's a good thing to respect when designing updates to existing products.

• Locked thread