Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

I didn't know this was a thing until I stopped by my home town for the first time in 3 years. Other parts of town they put in roundabouts, then I see green arrows, red arrows, yellow arrows, flashing yellow arrows. WTF do they mean? Danger to all on the road, imo, unless the state/nation standardizes how they are implemented.

E:
I don't understand how you can be so mistaken. There are five lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Gorilla Salad posted:

Okay, it's obvious now your country does things very differently.

Are you saying that when you swipe you don't need to enter the account and PIN?
What do you mean "enter the account"? Here's how it goes in the US, start to finish:

1. cashier scans all my poo poo
2. I take out card
3. I swipe card
4. I scribble on the pad
5. I get receipt and leave

If I'm using my card with a chip, replace 3 with "I insert card into reader and wait around for the loving carrier pigeon to complete its round-trip from mastercard world HQ or whatever the gently caress it's doing".

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ewan posted:

Today I learned that Americans still sign for debit/credit card transactions.

I seriously don't think I've signed for a card transaction for over 10 years. And now we've moved beyond Chip n Pin to Contactless, which is amazing (takes 1s and you don't even need to take your card out of your wallet), and you can use it for travelling on the underground or buses. Although, I wish they'd let you choose to raise the limit (it's £30 at the moment).
We almost had those but then there was the dumbest loving panic over "someone with a portable reader gun could scan your card from across the street! :tinfoil:" and piles of "with this new credit card menace coming to your door, here's how to protect it from cyberthieves!" articles actually suggesting that you wrap/insert/create your wallet with aluminum foil.

Citychat edit: Minneapolis is pretty well designed as long as you don't go downtown. St. Paul is even worse; it looks like someone dipped a wad of half-cooked spaghetti in ink, slapped it on a sheet of paper, and said "there, that's our city map."

Yawgmoth fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 14, 2016

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Wedemeyer posted:

Oh. Do those not work? My moms credit card was stolen and the bank asked if she, a california woman, was buying computers in britain. :v: nope. So now she has a wallet lined with some silver metallic fabric type poo poo that probably cost fifty bucks so no one steals her info through microwaves.
You have a better chance of being microwaved to death with a giant microwave than you do of having someone steal your info with a card-reading gun from afar.

• Locked thread