Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
all flat ui design is ugly trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

BigwigML posted:

a good way to recharge a mouse

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Xaris posted:

how can it be worse? word 2013 or w/e was a giant flaat piece of poo poo thats a solid block of eye-sore flat greys and awful menu that always opens to lovely skydrive

spoken like someone who hasnt tried word 2016

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Gaunab posted:

whenever i see a stall door like this i like to peek in until the occupant notices me. i get pink eye a lot.

thats gonococcal conjunctivitis. get it treated or youll go blind

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Aralan posted:

4 way stops are a test to see who's the biggest pussy that's going to sit there while all the other alphas move through the intersection

no wonder pussy europeans hate them so much

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
the worst part of tesla is that you ahve to access a popup menu to change the fan.

tesla has horrible design, i almost crashed the drat thing the first time drivin git because of the tiny fingernail-sized buttons and poo poo used for basic functions like turning on the defogger.

my friend bought one when they first came out and the giant touchscreen would actually crash and become unusuable and it took like 2 visits for them to fix this. also the door handles broke once too.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Aralan posted:

You have to tap the little car's roof a couple times. I only know this because I read an article where the author didn't know how to pop the door handles out manually if they didn't come out automatically either. Why this is better than a normal key fob or normal door handles that just unlock if you have the key in your pocket wasn't covered in the article

also because of the power drain from the various touch sensors if you leave your tesla parked for too long without plugging it in, like at an airport, it will run out of batteries

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Aralan posted:

I think instead of touchscreens they should just replace car controls with neat voice commands, what do you guys think

ask bob lutz

We then had a lively discussion about Buick. Here, the “experts” had decided that the brand’s focus would cater to the needs of the elderly. Toward this end, a system called “Quiet Servant” was conjured up. To my amazement, I was shown an interior mock-up featuring no instrument panel and no visible controls whatsoever. It was to be the world’s first car operated entirely by voice command. Speed, gas level, and other relevant information were projected on the windshield.

“Folks,” I said, “this is nuts!”

“No, no!” they insisted. They had shown a video to older people, where the fictitious driver merely said “headlights” or “left turn signal” or “radio” and the car instantly delivered. And, at the end of the video, 75 percent had expressed a strong preference for this miraculous system. But I’d learned to be skeptical of research in which subjects are shown an ideal, simplified version of a new technology where everything just works. Real life never quite lives up to the fantasy. Still, I agreed to drive a prototype.

I will never forget that drive through downtown Milford, Michigan, and the engineer sitting next to me probably won’t forget it either. At his urging, I asked for “more cold air.” “No, no!” he said. “You have to scroll verbally! First say ‘climate control.’ When the car says ‘climate control,’ you say ‘blower.’ When the car repeats ‘blower,’ you say ‘up one.’ Same with temperature.” Of course, it wasn’t that easy, and a comedy of errors ensued. I did the best I could, trying to remember the sequence. So fixated did I become with the marvels of voice input technology that I casually cruised through two red lights, nearly causing an accident each time.

The new system officially died the next morning. I announced it to the Buick team in person. One earnest young woman almost broke out in tears, seeing the whole purpose of the last two years of her life float away.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

johnny sack posted:

The problem with GM's 'daytime running lights' of the late 90's/early 2000's was that, as the driver, you thought the headlights were on. So, when it starts to get dark out, you don't instinctively turn on the headlights because it looks like they're already on. As a result, you drive around like a loving idiot with headlights on but no taillights. It's unreal that every car that had this design flaw hadn't been recalled and this problem fixed. What a stupid loving design flaw. How could this have gotten past their quality department?

The solution to this is to make it so the headlights also turn on the instrument panel lights. Nobody is going to drive around when they cant see the speedometer

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Picnic Princess posted:

You've never been in a car with my dad. Spedometer broke but it was okay, he could determine his speed by how fast the lines on the road were going by.

Yeah but he noticed it broke, right? The point is that when permanently illuminated dashboards became popular, it necessitated automatic lights because it broke the old rather elegant system where you couldn't see the instruments in the dark unless your headlights were on (because they didn't light up unless the headlights were on

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Jenny Agutter posted:

hahahaha did you know in texas castle doctrine extends to your occupied vehicle?

If some guy tries to carjack me i should be allowed to cap his rear end instead of legally being required to run away from my own car like a bitch

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

boom boom boom posted:

There are a lot of reasons suburbs are bad, but I've never heard "you don't have to stare straight ahead silently while riding in the elevator with a stranger" as one of them

That's actually a reason suburbs are good.

Anyone who actually lives in a big city knows that people are poo poo and the worst part of city living.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Micro is smaller than mini how does anyone not know this

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

criscodisco posted:

Fiat has this too. As I learned last week, it will let you know which tire is going flat... for 10 seconds when you first start it and aren't looking at the cluster. Then it never brings it up again. However, it will tell you every 30 seconds that you have a tail light with a burned out bulb. Seriously, there's 4 bulbs in that tail light. I'm not going to rush to an Auto Zone over this. The rapidly deflating tire is sort of a big deal

This is probably partly because those stupid tpms sensors break all the time. The fact that they are required by law is retarded.

Also having a sensor for wiper fluid instead of just making the tank visible under the hood is kind of dumb as well.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Uthor posted:

That's what it is in my car. Not sure what it fucks up, maybe coats the electrodes? I've put new fluid in and it didn't fix it, so it's not just the conductivity of the fluid. I've seen people recommending putting salt in with the fluid, but I'm not intentionally putting salt in my car and then spraying it all over the window. :gonk:

I mean rainx works by coating your window glass with a slippery polymer film so probably. Also lol at people spraying salt water on their cars

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Aramoro posted:

That used to be how it was here maybe a decade ago or so. Now everything is Chip and Pin and now Contactless. There's some resistance because it put the onus on the card holder to be aware of fraud not the vendor but it's pretty much universal now. I can go weeks without ever having cash on hand because contactless is so much faster and more convenient.

Oh i get it so ultimately it's a scam to gently caress over the card holder. makes sense

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

mobby_6kl posted:

Don't worry Amerigoons, in another 10-15 years you'll get contactless cards and then payment will be finally near-instant for you.

They had those for a while but literally nobody liked them so they actually downgraded back to non-RF cards and instead now we get these retarded chip things

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

criscodisco posted:

I haven't had a ton of trouble with the chip cards, since in my area so far only Trader Joe's and CVS have them hooked up.

I do constantly get aggravated at the card readers at Walmart and Speedway, though. Typically, you swipe, and the reader should ask you if you want credit or debit. Except at Walmart and Speedway, where you have to wait until it asks for your PIN, then hit the red "cancel" button, and choose credit.

In other countries you have to use a pin for credit cards too. Sad really

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Ewan posted:

Today I learned that Americans still sign for debit/credit card transactions.

I seriously don't think I've signed for a card transaction for over 10 years. And now we've moved beyond Chip n Pin to Contactless, which is amazing (takes 1s and you don't even need to take your card out of your wallet), and you can use it for travelling on the underground or buses. Although, I wish they'd let you choose to raise the limit (it's £30 at the moment).

how is entering a pin better than signing a touch screen. especially when the point of chip and pin is to shift liability onto the cardholder

they tried wireless transactions here but nobody liked it so its gone now

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

therattle posted:

Because a signature is really easy to forge?

who cares that's the vendor's problem

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Laserface posted:

no because we already have NFC payments everywhere, have had them for years, and lol if you think a bank that already has infrastructure in place is gonna let Apple walk in and take a cut so people can wave their phone instead of their wallet.

The us has had tap to pay for years, too, it's just that nobody likes it so they stopped putting it on cards

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

CJacobs posted:

It's because phones got rid of real buttons in place of lovely touch screen technology, and so you have to make every clickable thing really big so humans can easily press it with their fat inaccurate fingers.

edit: but even then it'll only work about 75% of the time or so. My favorite thing about smart phones is when someone taps something on the screen and it doesn't register, so they tap it again but harder while moving their head cock-eyed toward the screen as if to say "uhhh hello??"

Theres also the opposite where some tiny imperceptible brush from a finger or even on the edge from the hand just holding the phone (because there's no bezel) makes it freak out and switch away or do random poo poo

One reason buttons are superior to touch most of the time is that you can locate and correct your finger via touch without actually pressing the button.

I know there's pressure sensitive touchscreens now but retarded ui designers have decided that this is a great opportunity to make even more hidden unintuitive menus by making it a right-click menu instead of fixing the most annoying thing about capacitive touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

boom boom boom posted:

oh yeah, on my Samsung phone, in the music player, if you press the icon that shows two intertwining arrows, that turns shuffle off. Pressing the icon with two intertwining arrows crossed out turns shuffle on.

This is actually a real problem "flat" design has - it's hard to distinguish between things you interact with and things that just display information because buttons look the same as info panels

• Locked thread