Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

computer parts posted:

And Warcraft 1 doesn't have elves.

According to THE LORE warcraft 1 had elves involved in the backstory, kind of in a council of elrond situation, but they didn't take part in the war.

E: Trying to remember the specifics made me remember a bunch of the dumb contradictions that piled up into the story over the years and now I have a headache.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The fact that Warcraft doesn't give a gently caress about canon and is willing to ignore whatever gets in the way of what they're trying to do with the actual game sounds really cool and good. Especially since it's a candy-colored fantasy land full of goofy pop-culture references and drunk talking panda bears, people need to quit taking that poo poo so seriously to justify the countless hours and $$$ they've wasted on it over the years.

I'm hoping that the movie lives up to that and is a light 80s-style fantasy movie in stark opposition to the grimdark :tvtropes: fantasy that has been big as of late.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

The fact that Warcraft doesn't give a gently caress about canon and is willing to ignore whatever gets in the way of what they're trying to do with the actual game sounds really cool and good.

Of course you do. Anytime someone does something stupid and alienating to its audience, someone on SA will rush to praise them for it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Of course you do. Anytime someone does something stupid and alienating to its audience, someone on SA will rush to praise them for it.

The Warhammer thread stands in pretty stark contradiction to this sentiment.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

The Warhammer thread stands in pretty stark contradiction to this sentiment.

I'm sure there's someone out there who thinks WH40k's terrible writing is "dope" because it makes nerds mad.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

I'm sure there's someone out there who thinks WH40k's terrible writing is "dope" because it makes nerds mad.

No. The thread is full of people laughing at Games Workshop's staggering ineptitude and pettiness. Games Workshop is a car-wreck of a company and its only through blind luck that they've lasted as long as they have

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 5, 2015

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

Like, dude, it's called a "different perspective".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lurdiak posted:

No, that's nerds who think the writing is dope.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lurdiak posted:

This is a bit Trap Sprung but I just noticed you got it backwards.

No, Doomhammer betrays Blackhand, kills him, takes his place as Warchief, and Metzen drew this to summarize it:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Corek posted:

No, Doomhammer betrays Blackhand, kills him, takes his place as Warchief, and Metzen drew this to summarize it:

Oh yeah. It's just that Doomhammer was the kinda heroic one, and Blackhand was the big jerk who got retconned into being a pawn of Gul'dan, so his betrayal doesn't really fit the kinda Blizzard cliche I was talking about, where everyone is either Saruman or Anakin Skywalker.

Why is so much of my brain space occupied by Warcraft lore.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lurdiak posted:

Oh yeah. It's just that Doomhammer was the kinda heroic one, and Blackhand was the big jerk who got retconned into being a pawn of Gul'dan, so his betrayal doesn't really fit the kinda Blizzard cliche I was talking about, where everyone is either Saruman or Anakin Skywalker.

Why is so much of my brain space occupied by Warcraft lore.

I never read those retcons so I just remembered Blackhand as "placeholder 1st warchief before Doomhammer".

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Corek posted:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Corek posted:

I never read those retcons so I just remembered Blackhand as "placeholder 1st warchief before Doomhammer".

He was a big rear end in a top hat, Doomhammer actually tried to meet with Lothar (the Alliance's George Washington) and end the war in Warcraft 2 because he was actually sensible and not blood-crazed for an orc, but Blackhand's rear end in a top hat kids followed him to the secret meeting and killed the guy, and he had to pretend like that was the plan all along to save face with the horde.

Once again, it's a shame that I know this.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Everyone pulled double duty on those games, even if they sucked. Bill Roper voiced every character in Warcraft I.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Corek posted:

Everyone pulled double duty on those games, even if they sucked. Bill Roper voiced every character in Warcraft I.

Metzen still voices pretty much every bad guy as well as Thrall in WoW, but I think that's ego and not cost cutting.

PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin

Sleeveless posted:

The fact that Warcraft doesn't give a gently caress about canon and is willing to ignore whatever gets in the way of what they're trying to do with the actual game sounds really cool and good. Especially since it's a candy-colored fantasy land full of goofy pop-culture references and drunk talking panda bears, people need to quit taking that poo poo so seriously to justify the countless hours and $$$ they've wasted on it over the years.

I'm hoping that the movie lives up to that and is a light 80s-style fantasy movie in stark opposition to the grimdark :tvtropes: fantasy that has been big as of late.

Not when they do it every 3 months.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Whatever is going on here, looks pretty badass.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lurdiak posted:

gently caress the audience.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Whatever is going on here

If two bitchin vans crash into each other at just the right speed . . .

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Lisa Frank, but for boys.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I haven't followed Blizzard games since the original Warcraft III came out more than 10 years ago but aren't you guys forgetting the third Blizzard story cliche, "heroic leader sacrifices themselves to defeat the ultimate evil"? Or is that less common than I'm remembering?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Helsing posted:

I haven't followed Blizzard games since the original Warcraft III came out more than 10 years ago but aren't you guys forgetting the third Blizzard story cliche, "heroic leader sacrifices themselves to defeat the ultimate evil"? Or is that less common than I'm remembering?

Hasn't happened in Starcraft 2 yet to the best of my knowledge. Kinda happened in Diablo 3 but the heroic leader got better at the end.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Warcraft

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Helsing posted:

You mean Jesus?

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I was kinda hoping they'd cast all the celebrities the WoW dancing animations are based off and have them do their respective dances for 90 minutes

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

I feel like I'm being shitposterty, but I wish I could see what mind boggling terrible thing(s) you guys are seeing. The movie ain't going to be good, but those shots look fine to me.

I mean, the only way I can see someone thinking those shots are bad are the same folks who'd show screenshots of the Thing prequel and swear up and down the Carpenter movie effects were somehow better.

Show me one finished screen shot from the Thing prequel that looks better than the original's effects shots. I am not counting the inproduction shots that actually looked decent, but the actual released movie.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Oh, you mean this movie is happening?

That's sad.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Terrible Opinions posted:

Show me one finished screen shot from the Thing prequel that looks better than the original's effects shots. I am not counting the inproduction shots that actually looked decent, but the actual released movie.

I can't remember if Misterbibs is the goon who actually worked on the CGI effects for the Thing prequel 'cause I remember that guy being just as insufferable back in 2011. Either way you're not gonna convince him otherwise, just ignore his nonsense. He tried starting the exact same argument in the Red Letter Media thread out of nowhere.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Terrible Opinions posted:

I don't have the movie on my tablet, but every CGI shot in the prequel looks better than the stuff from the original, especially if you're going for "Monster that can literally be anything it wants to be at any time." You don't use Power Rangers monsters because you want to, you use em because you don't have a better option. Now, we do, and the only ones kvetching about that progression are the comparitive luddites.

Carpenter's movie is to the prequel as the black-and-white movie is to Carpenter's, effects wise.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 6, 2015

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Everyone, pretend like you asleep.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

porfiria posted:

You mean Jesus?

For Tassadar so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Lothar that we might drive a soul stone into his forehead to contain an ancient evil.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

porfiria posted:

You mean Jesus?

Fun fact, the humans actually were Christians in the original Warcraft, until they changed that sometime during WC2, although their churches still had crosses.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Lisa Frank, but for boys.

This has nothing to do with the topic at hand but I was recalling the saccharine acid trip that was lisa frank merchandise to someone I knew but I had what I hope was a senior moment and NOT a freudian slip and started talking about how lame Anne Frank's art was to an increasingly horrified coworker. I mean I'm not saying it was the worst thing to happen to Anne Frank but it sure as hell was not kind and I'm bummed that I let Lisa Frank off the hook.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Whatever is going on here, looks pretty badass.

Hell yeah.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I hope it turns out to be a massive smash hit like Avatar and people start photoshopping themselves into orcs, orcs everywhere, orc orc orc

Here I'll get it started, here's me as an orc dreaming of my homeland Pandora Azeroth

Build-a-Boar fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 6, 2015

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

FutonForensic posted:

I was kinda hoping they'd cast all the celebrities the WoW dancing animations are based off and have them do their respective dances for 90 minutes

A theatrical movie with Alizee? Thanks dude you're gonna force me to cum in public. THANKS.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV3roWM0DSs

Lurdiak posted:

Fun fact, the humans actually were Christians in the original Warcraft, until they changed that sometime during WC2, although their churches still had crosses.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 6, 2015

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

I don't have the movie on my tablet, but every CGI shot in the prequel looks better than the stuff from the original, especially if you're going for "Monster that can literally be anything it wants to be at any time." You don't use Power Rangers monsters because you want to, you use em because you don't have a better option. Now, we do, and the only ones kvetching about that progression are the comparitive luddites.

Carpenter's movie is to the prequel as the black-and-white movie is to Carpenter's, effects wise.
You might be arguing past me. Practical effects aren't inherently better than CGI, that'd be silly to argue. However the original is a much better shot film, there is just way more skill in the cinematography, direction, and art design. On a technical level yeah it's as big of a leap as from the black-and-white Thing from Another World, but the resulting movie is nowhere close. It's like comparing the cgi blood swimming pool in Ghost Ship to the practical blood elevator scene in the Shining. Yes I'm sure the cgi blood pool was a technical marvel it doesn't make up for how terrible everything else in the movie was.

PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin

MisterBibs posted:

I don't necessarily disagree with you. But you are being annoyingly disingenuous when you compare all practical effects to Power Ranger costumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

CGI blood looks awful more often than not.

• Locked thread