Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

computer parts posted:

Hasn't happened in Starcraft 2 yet to the best of my knowledge. Kinda happened in Diablo 3 but the heroic leader got better at the end.

Happened in SC1, though. Tassadar kamikazed his big rear end ship into the giant Zerg brain thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

CGI does not and was never intended to "look better" than practical effects as a general suite of technologies, and lol at the guy asserting there's some like objective visual inferiority of puppets struggling to cover up that they have the texture and physical properties of rubber versus puppets struggling to cover up that they have the texture and physical properties of nothing.

To make an all-practicals Star Wars or a Thing nowadays is cost-prohibitive even for major studios, while even nobody Ukranian games studios can afford at least a couple minutes of professionally-done computer animation. The budget-conscious can sure as poo poo afford a better puppet now than the ones they were using in Farscape or whatever and Peter Jackson could never have paid all the extras for his big orc fights in the 80s, but some dude who doesn't know anything about either and couldn't spot the difference without the aid of Wikipedia trying to piss on the top of the craft through some handwaving about the march of progress is buying into some hype even the guys who sell rendering engines rarely try. Second-rate poo poo like this never looked great with maquettes, and it looks straight bad with computer models.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 6, 2015

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So no trailer leak yet eh

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Vintersorg posted:

Blizzcon starts at 11am PST, it'll be around then.

edit- Oh you said leak. Well, Blizzard is usually pretty good when it comes to actual footage not leaking. Pre-orders and copyright info, though...

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Helsing posted:

I haven't followed Blizzard games since the original Warcraft III came out more than 10 years ago but aren't you guys forgetting the third Blizzard story cliche, "heroic leader sacrifices themselves to defeat the ultimate evil"? Or is that less common than I'm remembering?

In the latest WoW expansion the leader of the alternate reality/timeline russian space goats sacrifices himself to purify one of his sparkly wind chime Gods that had become corrupted.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I hope that this gets really popular and Bethesda decide to make an Elder Scrolls film but base it on the 36 Sermons of Vivec and have Jodorowsky direct.

Also I hope that everyone in the world can be friends and that no one ever goes hungry again and pigs should definitely sprout wings and fly. A man can dream.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Oh my god the new trailer is absolutely dreadful. Pretty much everything you'd fear about a WarCraft movie.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

OMG link is about the crusades, no wonder all the bad guys where hoods.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Vintersorg posted:

:siren:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rxoz13Bthc:siren:

its BAD

JUNE 2016 lol

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Man, that's pretty poo poo. I'll still see it, though, if for no reason than the visuals. Orc throwing horse? Sold.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I hope that this gets really popular and Bethesda decide to make an Elder Scrolls film but base it on the 36 Sermons of Vivec and have Jodorowsky direct.

I don't want to meet the people who would want to watch the part where Vivec has sex with Molag Bal, then compare their cocks, and then Vivec bites on Bal's.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 6, 2015

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Wait so the story is there are good orcs and bad orcs and they each have different skin colors and the good orcs team up with humans to fight the bad orcs? That's the story they decided to make for this movie?

I never saw Smurfs 2 but this feels like Smurfs 2. Is this Smurfs 2?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
A friend I used to play WoW with asked me to watch the trailer. I'm familiar with the games and the setting, but haven't revisited any of that stuff in years. I like fantasy in general and the main human guy is on the viking tv show, which is cool. So I figured I'd give it a shot.

Couldn't even watch the entire trailer. Just turned it off after 2 minutes. It was so bad that it compelled me to post in this part of the forum for like the 2nd time ever. People's careers will be ruined over this.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
2 opposite sides about to go to war with each other. Warmongering generals on both sides, with on each side a single hero that wants to push for a peaceful solution between the two races but (spoiler!) will tragically fail.

So original.

Also Thrall is now Mozes? gently caress you Metzen!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Jamesman posted:

Wait so the story is there are good orcs and bad orcs and they each have different skin colors and the good orcs team up with humans to fight the bad orcs? That's the story they decided to make for this movie?

To be fair, there's a thematic elephant-in-the-room, since Wacraft 3 retconned the Orcs from mindless evil people to noble savage/hosed-by-demons. You want to use the latter (because if you're thinking Warcraft, you're thinking WC3/WoW), but this is set in the time when the Orcs were the blatant bad guys, so you kinda have to use the cliched-as-gently caress "good guys on both sides are ignored to commence with the fighting" story.

I don't understand why this movie is being made, comprehensively. WoW isn't the Game Everyone Knows And Plays anymore, its not going to get major butts in the seats, etc. And even if it was, the poo poo-but-enjoyable-poo poo isn't the Warcraft 1 poo poo.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 6, 2015

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

They probably have a whole trilogy planned and it would feel weird if the Orcs were completely evil monsters in the first one or two films and then suddenly became noble savages.

MisterBibs posted:

I don't want to meet the people who would want to watch the part where Vivec has sex with Molag Bal, then compare their cocks, and then Vivec bites on Bal's.

The obvious solution would be to do it literally like it's described in the text and have them literally compare literal spears. literally.

"The temporal myth is man. Reach heaven by violence. This magic I give to you: the world you will rule is only an intermittent hope and you must be the letter written in uncertainty." is Jodorowsky as gently caress.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 6, 2015

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
This movie looks embarrassing. Robin Thicke's ex looks cringe-worthy and the oversized shoulders on everything are laughable.

Edit: At least Mute might be interesting!

Judakel fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 6, 2015

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Oh man this is going to be so bad, poor Duncan Jones.

I appreciate the crazier fantasy with PAULDRONS and floating castles but there is absolutely zero appeal in everything else. Also Orc-Human romance for all you Hobbit fans.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I am only interested in Ragnar Lothbrok attacking the English with gryphons.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The story laid out in the trailer is standard video game stuff. What did everyone expect if not this?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finding more and more to pick at and it's major flaws too. The movie just looks so fake.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

This is still going to be the best video game movie tho probably.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Jean Eric Burn posted:

This is still going to be the best video game movie tho probably.

They already made that.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 6, 2015

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Couldn't even watch the entire trailer. Just turned it off after 2 minutes. It was so bad that it compelled me to post in this part of the forum for like the 2nd time ever. People's careers will be ruined over this.

I mean the trailer was only 2:13 so you didn't really save yourself any time there.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

When human-protagonist leaps off the mountain at the eagles, is that a mutalisk cry?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Kingtheninja posted:

I mean the trailer was only 2:13 so you didn't really save yourself any time there.

it was shorthand for "i didn't watch the entire thing" i stopped after a guy threw a horse

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

MisterBibs posted:

To be fair, there's a thematic elephant-in-the-room, since Wacraft 3 retconned the Orcs from mindless evil people to noble savage/hosed-by-demons. You want to use the latter (because if you're thinking Warcraft, you're thinking WC3/WoW), but this is set in the time when the Orcs were the blatant bad guys, so you kinda have to use the cliched-as-gently caress "good guys on both sides are ignored to commence with the fighting" story.

I don't understand why this movie is being made, comprehensively. WoW isn't the Game Everyone Knows And Plays anymore, its not going to get major butts in the seats, etc. And even if it was, the poo poo-but-enjoyable-poo poo isn't the Warcraft 1 poo poo.

If you wanna do an origins/WC1 story, you can have the demon-rage orcs from that time invading Azeroth and have infighting among the orcs because that's just how they are, so you get your orcs vs humans and also orcs vs orcs that they're going for in this movie. I don't even know if they're bringing up the demon stuff or not, but then you also lightly touch on that too.

Or maybe you can have demon-rage orcs vs humans and then OH NO IT'S THE DEMONS BEHIND ALL OF THIS ORCS AND HUMANS UNITE TO FIGHT THEM or something like that I dunno. But then you set up for a sequel where you have the displaced and orcs that are trying to find a homeland and fighting for their place in the world and ally themselves with other races and the humans ally themselves with other races to strengthen themselves against the potential threat of the horde and all hell breaks loose when the demons start unleashing an undead plague on the world or something like that I dunno.

My Warcraft lore isn't that strong so maybe this isn't that coherent for a streamlined plot and is just as bad an idea as what they're doing in the movie.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
This film is going to lose so much money, holy poo poo.

I feel really bad for Duncan Jones, because it seems like he's the next promising indie director to get Fantastic Four'd. Big studios keep setting up these guys to fail by thrusting them into huge tentpole productions, treating them like replaceable drones, and either squeezing them dry with endless sequels or disposing of them when a film doesn't do too well. The big studios are essentially cannibalizing an entire generation of filmmakers with this poo poo.

I hope Duncan's career isn't entirely ruined after this :smith:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
This does not look good. It does, however, look really bad

ufarn
May 30, 2009
They should just have let The Asylum do it and save the money. This is 90s videogame movie bad.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
gently caress it, I'm down. It's probably not going to be great, but I'm almost certain I'll get 10 bucks worth of enjoyment out of it.

Also the effects look fine other than that one shot, the orcs look fantastic.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
I'm still reeling from a film trailer in 2015 for a stupidly popular game franchise looking that bad, the CGI/live action just looks ...off.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

lol

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Everyone I know who played the game is really excited about the movie.

It looks dumb and bad IMO.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
This could be an all-time turkey. Wow.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Looks entertaining - not seeing where the utter disgust is coming from. I've seen much worse mainstream fantasy movies. Duncan Jones will make this good.

It is gonna lose money tho.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Vintersorg posted:

Looks entertaining - not seeing where the utter disgust is coming from. I've seen much worse mainstream fantasy movies. Duncan Jones will make this good.

It is gonna lose money tho.

It looks loving awful and if you can't see that you're waaaaay too far down the rabbit hole of thinking anything with orcs and gryphons and swords is cool.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Duncan Jones directed this? It looks like it's been assembled from parts they had lying around at New Line.

Looking forward to the inevitable oceans of posts imploring people to look up lore or play the games to 'really get the story'. As if I should be doing homework to enjoy movies about orcs.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

a cock shaped fruit posted:

I'm still reeling from a film trailer in 2015 for a stupidly popular game franchise looking that bad, the CGI/live action just looks ...off.

The compositing is pretty rough, definitely. It's the mattes and set pieces that look off...the orcs don't look bad to me but the backgrounds look like crap.

Though, let's be honest: they HAD to use the retconned WC3 "noble savage" orcs. We already have a film franchise about a coalition of humans, elves, and dwarves fighting an army of rape-murderer orc monsters. The orcs being sympathetic is the ONLY thing Warcraft has to differentiate its story as a work of epic fantasy.

Warcraft 1's novelty was aligning the player with Orcs and with Humans for either campaign, and it only worked because the game mechanics distracted from the fact the Orcs are cartoonish fantasy villains. Translated to an actual film, you can't be surprised they'd want an accessible orc protagonist for audiences to connect to.

(If you want a story about fantasy genre bad guys being bad and loving it, pray for a Dungeon Keeper movie. Which I do. Because that movie would loving rock.)

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
There is so much cool imagery, awesome places and interesting races in the WoW lore, and this is the best they could come up with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Looks like Battle Of The Five Armies Part II

• Locked thread