Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Trump posted:

There is so much cool imagery, awesome places and interesting races in the WoW lore, and this is the best they could come up with?

I imagine that the executives actually greenlighting this wanted it as boilerplate as possible to Protect Their Investments. It doesn't get much more boilerplate than "humans and Race X fight a bunch in a place that looks like rural England." It's frankly a waste of the talent of Duncan Jones, who made an engaging story with only two actors set on the moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

To be honest- the worst thing about this is the guy from Vikings as he's garbage in that show (and the show in general is trash) and he stinks up the joint here.

The orcs are the most interesting part.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Oh my god, this looks so much worse than I expected, and I didn't expect much in the first place. The only reason I was slightly interested was because of Duncan Jones (seriously, I thought Moon was fantastic), and now I have to worry that this will be a career killer for him.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
What's most striking about this to me (other than how bad a lot of the visual effects look whenever you look at a screen shot) is the total absence of any meaningful characterization. A decent fantasy or sci fi story almost always needs to be grounded with some kind of interesting characters, even if the narrative is plot driven. Think of the contrast between the Original vs the Prequel Star Wars trilogies - the characters in the original

In this Warcraft movie, what do any of these characters want? What distinguishes them as individuals? What endears them to the audience or makes you hate the villains? We get the most boilerplate dumb sounding motivations possible. The villains are "the racist guy" and "the guy who loves war", the heroes are "the guys who want peace", and maybe they love their families too. Oh boy I can already feel the excitement!

The movie's apparent lack of interest in those questions is the greatest red flag to me. There's no indication in this trailer that the film understands how important decent characters are for this kind of movie. You could have a cornball movie about Orcs throwing around horses and it might still have some entertainment value if you make the other elements work, but if you don't give a poo poo about any of the characters then these CGI driven movies get soooo loving boring.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I mean, they could put a tremendous amount of effort into it, or they could merely produce something passably bland enough that they'll rake in large profits from the power of the Warcraft Brand. You can just fart out a bunch of CGI orcs and the guy from Vikings onto a greenscreen for 90 minutes and make millions.

PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin

Helsing posted:

What's most striking about this to me (other than how bad a lot of the visual effects look whenever you look at a screen shot) is the total absence of any meaningful characterization. A decent fantasy or sci fi story almost always needs to be grounded with some kind of interesting characters, even if the narrative is plot driven. Think of the contrast between the Original vs the Prequel Star Wars trilogies - the characters in the original

In this Warcraft movie, what do any of these characters want? What distinguishes them as individuals? What endears them to the audience or makes you hate the villains? We get the most boilerplate dumb sounding motivations possible. The villains are "the racist guy" and "the guy who loves war", the heroes are "the guys who want peace", and maybe they love their families too. Oh boy I can already feel the excitement!

The movie's apparent lack of interest in those questions is the greatest red flag to me. There's no indication in this trailer that the film understands how important decent characters are for this kind of movie. You could have a cornball movie about Orcs throwing around horses and it might still have some entertainment value if you make the other elements work, but if you don't give a poo poo about any of the characters then these CGI driven movies get soooo loving boring.

Sounds pretty much par for the Course for a Blizzard story.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

PoPcornTG posted:

Sounds pretty much par for the Course for a Blizzard story.

In fairness, their writing hasn't always been atrocious. Brood War had an interesting setup and some fantastic characters like Kerrigan, and The Frozen Throne had some nice twists and turns to it. I think they just ended up firing all of the halfway decent writers at some point so that you've now got Jim Raynor going from swearing that he'll hunt Kerrigan down and kill her for all that she's done to trying desperately to save her because he's horny and wants to gently caress.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
In the original Warcraft the entire story was a bunch of lengthy prequel stories in the instruction manual starring characters that die before the game begins.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Vermain posted:

I mean, they could put a tremendous amount of effort into it, or they could merely produce something passably bland enough that they'll rake in large profits from the power of the Warcraft Brand. You can just fart out a bunch of CGI orcs and the guy from Vikings onto a greenscreen for 90 minutes and make millions.

The amazing thing is that the production hasn't been a quick n' cheap cash grab deal, all trailer evidence to the contrary. This movie has a ludicrous budget, has been fretted over continuously for 8 years, and still came out looking like it was half-assed in every respect. That's the power of Blizzard

PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin

Vermain posted:

In fairness, their writing hasn't always been atrocious. Brood War had an interesting setup and some fantastic characters like Kerrigan, and The Frozen Throne had some nice twists and turns to it. I think they just ended up firing all of the halfway decent writers at some point so that you've now got Jim Raynor going from swearing that he'll hunt Kerrigan down and kill her for all that she's done to trying desperately to save her because he's horny and wants to gently caress.

I thought the story for Starcraft and Warcraft 3 was amazing. But I was also 11-14 when I played those games so I'm not sure how true that is. Their writing has certainly gotten worse tho. It's all been boiled down to the most simple generic stuff possible over and over again. I've lost all interest in pretty much anything they put out now.

I wonder why they didn't decide to do a feature length Warcraft Cinematic? The Warcraft style really doesn't translate well when trying to be realistic. The comically over sized Armour and Orcs just look stupid when being portrayed as realistic.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

No Mods No Masters posted:

The amazing thing is that the production hasn't been a quick n' cheap cash grab deal, all trailer evidence to the contrary. This movie has a ludicrous budget, has been fretted over continuously for 8 years, and still came out looking like it was half-assed in every respect. That's the power of Blizzard

Seriously, this isn't goddamn Heaven's Gate; you ain't winning an Emmy for it. I want a tell-all of the production of this thing, because it's hard to even imagine what sort of weird problem could have led to this thing turning into such a turd.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

So baby orcs are jelly babies?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

No Mods No Masters posted:

This is exactly the story of Diablo 3.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
This is going to be a hilarious clusterfuck if they don't retcon the gently caress out of everything because it looks like they decided to cover Warcraft 2 as well and both characters they have chosen as their protagonists die very anti-climactic deaths before the ending of that game. One of them spends both games in exile for being too boring, the other does like two notable things in both games combined. That's like making a WWII movie with Leon Trotsky as focal character.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

They reaaaally should've gone full CG with this. Everything that actually has a person standing around looks awful.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

PoPcornTG posted:

I thought the story for Starcraft and Warcraft 3 was amazing. But I was also 11-14 when I played those games so I'm not sure how true that is. Their writing has certainly gotten worse tho. It's all been boiled down to the most simple generic stuff possible over and over again. I've lost all interest in pretty much anything they put out now.

StarCraft was goofy fun space opera story and that was fine. The problem is that the StarCraft story literally laid out every writing trope Metzen is actually capable of. That is the extent of his range, but he thinks he's crafting Tolkein-level masterpieces with his world building when he's really more of a second-class C.S. Lewis in that regard.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

attackmole posted:

It looks loving awful and if you can't see that you're waaaaay too far down the rabbit hole of thinking anything with orcs and gryphons and swords is cool.

I generally don't care about fantasy and I was expecting this to look terrible but I still dug the trailer a fair bit :shobon:

Like, the worst case scenario I can see is that this ends up being fun-bad, which is still okay

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

To be honest- the worst thing about this is the guy from Vikings as he's garbage in that show (and the show in general is trash) and he stinks up the joint here.

This is so goddamn wrong it hurts.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Asehujiko posted:

This is going to be a hilarious clusterfuck if they don't retcon the gently caress out of everything because it looks like they decided to cover Warcraft 2 as well and both characters they have chosen as their protagonists die very anti-climactic deaths before the ending of that game. One of them spends both games in exile for being too boring, the other does like two notable things in both games combined. That's like making a WWII movie with Leon Trotsky as focal character.

They're not covering Warcraft II, only Warcraft I. There's no other races besides Orcs and Humans in this one (it looks like there are a few elf extras in one scene).

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper
I think this will do really really well in Asia.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Just had a dream that I went to see the Warcraft movie and that is as close as I will ever get because holy poo poo, my drastically lowered expectations weren't nearly low enough.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Snowman_McK posted:

This is so goddamn wrong it hurts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
This seems like a ludicrous waste of money and talent. Duncan Jones had a movie in the works about a mute detective in a Blade Runner esque future Germany, but instead does this. :smith:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

This seems like a ludicrous waste of money and talent. Duncan Jones had a movie in the works about a mute detective in a Blade Runner esque future Germany, but instead does this. :smith:

He's making Mute next because of this movie. They just cast Paul Rudd and Alexander Skarsgard in it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if he's making this one primarily so he can get a bigger budget for that one.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

ComposerGuy posted:

StarCraft was goofy fun space opera story and that was fine. The problem is that the StarCraft story literally laid out every writing trope Metzen is actually capable of. That is the extent of his range, but he thinks he's crafting Tolkein-level masterpieces with his world building when he's really more of a second-class C.S. Lewis in that regard.

CS Lewis owns, you take that back.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I've not read much C.S. Lewis but I'm going to assume he doesn't constantly change his mind about key plot points.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Lewis' Jesus figure was a lion and not a green muscle-y dude.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

KidVanguard posted:

I think this will do really really well in Asia.

China goes fuckin' nuts over action movies with tons of CGI so this'll make bank over there.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The blademonster depiction will resonate with the inscrutable audiences of the orient while white americans will take to tumblr in droves to criticize.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Frostwerks posted:

CS Lewis owns, you take that back.

You misunderstand. I like Lewis too. I'm not commenting on their ability as writers but as world builders, which is totally different. Tolkein was frankly a much better world builder than actual writer, and CS Lewis the other way around.

But even still, Metzen isn't up to a *lovely version* of Lewis in world building.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

China goes fuckin' nuts over action movies with tons of CGI so this'll make bank over there.

Truly something unique to the Chinese.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7olh2I0dN7w&t=282s

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Transformers 4 was the third highest grossing film in China of all time, raising a major chunk of the $858 million foreign ticket sales and elevating the film into the billion dollar box office club.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Everything about the visuals in the trailer just seem off to me. I think the thing that struck me the most was how plastic and homemade cosplay the human armor looked.

Meanwhile, they put out the cinematic for the next expansion the same day and it looks much more cohesive (because it is, I suppose). It also did a lot better job at hitting some emotional resonance, but maybe that's just me.

Pulp Can Move
Oct 4, 2012
So much of each shot is computer animated and fake-looking that real-life actors in the frame seem almost jarring and unnatural. Like reading The Very Hungry Caterpillar and find a live ladybug between the pages.

Pulp Can Move fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 7, 2015

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

For comparisons sake heres the WoW:Legion cinematic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYNCCu0y-Is

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLhI6CtS9gA

future plinkett review material spotted

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

graynull posted:

Everything about the visuals in the trailer just seem off to me. I think the thing that struck me the most was how plastic and homemade cosplay the human armor looked.

Meanwhile, they put out the cinematic for the next expansion the same day and it looks much more cohesive (because it is, I suppose). It also did a lot better job at hitting some emotional resonance, but maybe that's just me.
The visual differences come from the art styles. Legion's cinematic is completely CGI, so it can afford to employ the video game aesthetic in terms of texture, lighting, exaggerated proportions, overdone animations etc. Warcraft has real people, real sets, (probably) real outdoor locations. The CGI has to be much more photorealistic and subtle or else it will feel extremely disjointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

The CGI with the humans looks a bit crap but overall I honestly don't think it looks all that bad. Maybe it'll be more apparent with later trailers and footage but I like Duncan Jones and this seems ok enough so far to give it a chance.

• Locked thread