Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Why do people also ignore the fact that Duncan Jones has only made one good movie and one lovely/mediocre movie (depending on who you ask). We have no idea if he was a one hit wonder or not. It's appearing that is the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Source Code was good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Even good film-makers can make lovely movies, and this movie looks pretty lovely. I don't understand what Duncan Jones has done to earn this blind faith.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Lurdiak posted:

Even good film-makers can make lovely movies, and this movie looks pretty lovely. I don't understand what Duncan Jones has done to earn this blind faith.

He made Moon. Which was good, but that's it. I guess that one guy above us liked Source Code. He is no where near as big a deal as people make him out to be. Shouldn't matter to much as his career will likely be in the garbage after this.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Megasabin posted:

Why do people also ignore the fact that Duncan Jones has only made one good movie and one lovely/mediocre movie (depending on who you ask). We have no idea if he was a one hit wonder or not. It's appearing that is the case.

Source Code was great.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The thing about moon is that, aesthetically, it feels like an expensive fan film for Alien, plus a dash of a few other vintage scifi films, without much new to bring to the table. Which is fine and clearly what set out to make... But between that and the fact that the narrative quality largely floats on the skills of one very skilled actor, I'm not sure how it led people to think he was the guy to helm a large scale epic which needed a very skilled visual director to adapt its aesthetic to live action?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Didn't watch, did it involve a woodchipper?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p037bh6m?ocid=socialflow_twitter

How in the gently caress...

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I remember Halo movie project failing because Microsoft/Bungie demanded more control - well, this is what you get when you let a videogame publisher into movie process.

Also it is funny how the actual warcraft in-world feels more like this than that movie trailer or the big expansion cinematics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmu0XXpUYog
just a giant lump of kitchen sink fantasy steampunk poo poo with pop culture references

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

GonSmithe posted:

He's making Mute next because of this movie. They just cast Paul Rudd and Alexander Skarsgard in it.

Oh! Well that's great then! I mean this still looks dumb but hey, whatever lets him do not dumb stuff.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Megasabin posted:

He made Moon. Which was good, but that's it. I guess that one guy above us liked Source Code. He is no where near as big a deal as people make him out to be. Shouldn't matter to much as his career will likely be in the garbage after this.

There's probably a whiteboard in a back room of the studio somewhere with a big Venn diagram with circles labeled "Directors who have had positively reviewed movies which made their money back" and "Directors we can afford/push around" and Jones was one of the few names in the intersecting segment. Josh Trank's name was also in there but was crossed out. :v:

ufarn
May 30, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

I remember Halo movie project failing because Microsoft/Bungie demanded more control - well, this is what you get when you let a videogame publisher into movie process.
Can't wait for Durotan to chug a Mountain Dew and give the camera a thumbs up before heading into battle.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I stopped following Warcraft after TFT but why are the Orcs brown?

I'm guessing it's related to the weird retcon where the 'bad' Orcs were all actually red-skinned and not green from Warcraft 3?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

I'm guessing it's related to the weird retcon where the 'bad' Orcs were all actually red-skinned and not green from Warcraft 3?

Orcs can be lots of colours in Warcraft, from brown to bright green. Stop being orc-racist.

No, really, I'm not being facetious, I'm pretty sure that's the answer.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
It also probably looks better in a more photorealistic environment. Certainly more than cherry red.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Milky Moor posted:

Brown (and other earth tones) is the natural orc color, but nearly the entire species was corrupted by demons, which turned their skin green. Though as you mention, in Warcraft 3, demonic corruption turned green orcs red.

ufarn posted:

Can't wait for Durotan to chug a Mountain Dew and give the camera a thumbs up before heading into battle.
Mountain dew is what caused the corruption of the orcs in the first place.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

For comparisons sake heres the WoW:Legion cinematic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYNCCu0y-Is

Why couldn't Blizzard just give us a full movie of their amazing cinematics? :(

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jamesman posted:

a) Being good at constructing 5 minute scenes of cool stuff doesn't mean you're good at making movies.
b) They're expensive and time consuming as gently caress to make.

I've said for years a movie made in the style of Blizzard cinematics would be about as good as Japanese animated vidya movies like that Tekken film or Advent Children. ie Not very.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

It's so bizarre to me that they are basing the movie off of Warcraft and not World of Warcraft. Why would you do just Orcs and Humans when you could have the Burning Legion, Arthas, etc plus all the cool races and stuff. Seems like a missed opportunity.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Steve2911 posted:

a) Being good at constructing 5 minute scenes of cool stuff doesn't mean you're good at making movies.
b) They're expensive and time consuming as gently caress to make.

I've said for years a movie made in the style of Blizzard cinematics would be about as good as Japanese animated vidya movies like that Tekken film or Advent Children. ie Not very.

Would it have ended up being more expensive, time consuming, and worse than what they ended up doing with what we're actually getting?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I can't wait for this to come out.

So Duncan 'David Bowie's Son' Jones can make his next movie.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Jamesman posted:

I mean that's basically what this looks like tbh. There are human actors, but I guarantee you could pluck out some orc focused action scene from the film and put it as the intro in the next game and no one would notice the difference

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Kvlt! posted:

It's so bizarre to me that they are basing the movie off of Warcraft and not World of Warcraft. Why would you do just Orcs and Humans when you could have the Burning Legion, Arthas, etc plus all the cool races and stuff. Seems like a missed opportunity.

They are planning to make this a trilogy lol.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Jamesman posted:

Would it have ended up being more expensive, time consuming, and worse than what they ended up doing with what we're actually getting?
Probably, yeah. Also, I imagine they've been cannibalizing on their cinematics division, which affects the games, which is something I actually care about, unlike this dumb movie.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ufarn posted:

Probably, yeah. Also, I imagine they've been cannibalizing on their cinematics division, which affects the games, which is something I actually care about, unlike this dumb movie.

This is real dumb. They literally just put out a cinematic game trailer yesterday. Also the movie isn't actually made by Blizzard's CGI team.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

This is real dumb. They literally just put out a cinematic game trailer yesterday. Also the movie isn't actually made by Blizzard's CGI team.

No, he's saying that would have happened if they'd had their in-house cinematics team make the movie. I admit the grammar made it hard to grasp, but I assume that was a typo.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ufarn posted:

I imagine they've been cannibalizing on their cinematics division
Why in the gently caress would you think that? Movie studios have their own CGI departments.

ufarn posted:

which affects the games
No it doesn't.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kvlt! posted:

Orcs and Humans is the simplest story you can do in the Warcraft universe, and it allows you to build off of it and introduce Thrall et all.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Megasabin posted:

Moon and Source Code were both critically acclaimed. So it's more accurate to say all his feature films are solid.

Source Code has a 92% on RT and a 7.5 on imdb. But I suppose because you didn't like it he's a one hit wonder.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

They are planning to make this a trilogy lol.

I feel like the same thing that's gonna happen with "Eragon" is going to happen here: it's supposed to be a trilogy, first film comes out and then bombs so we never get another one.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

Why in the gently caress would you think that? Movie studios have their own CGI departments.

No it doesn't.
Well clearly this strategy has paid off then.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I think the most ominous thing about the trailer is the endless predictable "should we trust our enemies?" dialogue. It makes the whole plot feel easy to forecast. Humans and orcs fight a little, then a bigger threat (probably Legion) approaches, then 60 minutes of trying to establish an alliance, one rear end in a top hat orc or human makes the alliance go bad, they kill the guy and then things go good, we see a single shot of a Legion walking through a portal and Bam, closing credits.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Duncan Jones is a Good Filmmaker, but the quality of a tentpole release like this one has little to do with a young director who has very limited influence. Everyone with a paycheck above one million has meddled with this project at both the film and game company.

He was smart to take it, because it allows him to make movies he actually wants to make in the near-future. Even if this fails critically and commercially, no one will blame him and he is so young that it will be forgotten by the time he realizes any potential he currently has.

Judakel fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 7, 2015

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Judakel posted:

Even if it fails critically and commercially, no one will blame him.

David Bowie will.

David Bowie will be loving furious.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hakkesshu posted:

I mean that's basically what this looks like tbh. There are human actors, but I guarantee you could pluck out some orc focused action scene from the film and put it as the intro in the next game and no one would notice the difference

Yeah, but Warcraft is filled with so much unrealistic elements that making the movie live-action is actually kinda limiting, and then when you fall back to CG for some of those more fantastic moments, they stick out in a negative way because they are juxtaposed against the real-life elements that can't keep up.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Lurdiak posted:

None of Blizzard's own writers are working on the movie, which means it has a chance to be good.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

This movie looks like it could be interesting in the same way the Watchman movie was. It will satisfy (sort of) both a niche audience and some people who find "that kind" of movie fun and then sparsely be heard of again.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Polo-Rican posted:

I think the most ominous thing about the trailer is the endless predictable "should we trust our enemies?" dialogue. It makes the whole plot feel easy to forecast. Humans and orcs fight a little, then a bigger threat (probably Legion) approaches, then 60 minutes of trying to establish an alliance, one rear end in a top hat orc or human makes the alliance go bad, they kill the guy and then things go good, we see a single shot of a Legion walking through a portal and Bam, closing credits.
You'd get the exact same result if you largely stuck to the pre-existing story, with the bigger threat being confronted in the end being the warlocks who are corrupting orcish society through demonic magic. That way you can have a win against a clearly bad guy, but not in a way that papers over all the blood that has already been spilled, providing a reason for conflict/distrust in the sequels which then has to be overcome to defeat the real bad guys behind it all. Seeing as Thrall is included in this movie as a baby, the sequel could recap the intervening two decades of conflict as seen through his eyes, providing both insight into him as a character, bring people who haven't seen the first one up to speed, and set the stage for the conflict which would characterize the first part of the movie before things really turn to poo poo and they're forced to work together. There's really no reason to blow your load all at once, not when you're trying to make a trilogy and possibly start a greater movie franchise.

Any use of sequel/next one is referring to the obviously planned sequels, and is not indicative of a belief that they'll actually exist.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 7, 2015

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I absolutely agree this looks like one of Blizzard's CGI cutscenes which have cool looking stuff but no real substance and 2 hours of it...yeah, this movie is going to bomb but Blizzard gets their royalty cheque.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Honestly after watching the trailer I just wished they had made an Elder Scrolls movie.

Want to see a lizard-man, cat-man and roguish human fight poo poo in fantasy Tamriel.

Red Mundus fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 7, 2015

• Locked thread