Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Trump posted:

There is so much cool imagery, awesome places and interesting races in the WoW lore, and this is the best they could come up with?

I imagine that the executives actually greenlighting this wanted it as boilerplate as possible to Protect Their Investments. It doesn't get much more boilerplate than "humans and Race X fight a bunch in a place that looks like rural England." It's frankly a waste of the talent of Duncan Jones, who made an engaging story with only two actors set on the moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I mean, they could put a tremendous amount of effort into it, or they could merely produce something passably bland enough that they'll rake in large profits from the power of the Warcraft Brand. You can just fart out a bunch of CGI orcs and the guy from Vikings onto a greenscreen for 90 minutes and make millions.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

PoPcornTG posted:

Sounds pretty much par for the Course for a Blizzard story.

In fairness, their writing hasn't always been atrocious. Brood War had an interesting setup and some fantastic characters like Kerrigan, and The Frozen Throne had some nice twists and turns to it. I think they just ended up firing all of the halfway decent writers at some point so that you've now got Jim Raynor going from swearing that he'll hunt Kerrigan down and kill her for all that she's done to trying desperately to save her because he's horny and wants to gently caress.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

No Mods No Masters posted:

The amazing thing is that the production hasn't been a quick n' cheap cash grab deal, all trailer evidence to the contrary. This movie has a ludicrous budget, has been fretted over continuously for 8 years, and still came out looking like it was half-assed in every respect. That's the power of Blizzard

Seriously, this isn't goddamn Heaven's Gate; you ain't winning an Emmy for it. I want a tell-all of the production of this thing, because it's hard to even imagine what sort of weird problem could have led to this thing turning into such a turd.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Milky Moor posted:

so the orcs are brown skinned savages from another world?

ahahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAH

They're noble, brown-skinned savages with a deep, spiritual connection to nature, who eventually ally with a race of minotaur men who live on a gigantic mesa in tipis and carve loving totem poles. Greetings!

• Locked thread