Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin
This is going to be awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin
These screenshots look like a bunch of Cosplayers got together for a photo shoot.

PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin

Sleeveless posted:

The fact that Warcraft doesn't give a gently caress about canon and is willing to ignore whatever gets in the way of what they're trying to do with the actual game sounds really cool and good. Especially since it's a candy-colored fantasy land full of goofy pop-culture references and drunk talking panda bears, people need to quit taking that poo poo so seriously to justify the countless hours and $$$ they've wasted on it over the years.

I'm hoping that the movie lives up to that and is a light 80s-style fantasy movie in stark opposition to the grimdark :tvtropes: fantasy that has been big as of late.

Not when they do it every 3 months.

PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin

MisterBibs posted:

I don't have the movie on my tablet, but every CGI shot in the prequel looks better than the stuff from the original, especially if you're going for "Monster that can literally be anything it wants to be at any time." You don't use Power Rangers monsters because you want to, you use em because you don't have a better option. Now, we do, and the only ones kvetching about that progression are the comparitive luddites.

Carpenter's movie is to the prequel as the black-and-white movie is to Carpenter's, effects wise.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. But you are being annoyingly disingenuous when you compare all practical effects to Power Ranger costumes.

PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin

Helsing posted:

What's most striking about this to me (other than how bad a lot of the visual effects look whenever you look at a screen shot) is the total absence of any meaningful characterization. A decent fantasy or sci fi story almost always needs to be grounded with some kind of interesting characters, even if the narrative is plot driven. Think of the contrast between the Original vs the Prequel Star Wars trilogies - the characters in the original

In this Warcraft movie, what do any of these characters want? What distinguishes them as individuals? What endears them to the audience or makes you hate the villains? We get the most boilerplate dumb sounding motivations possible. The villains are "the racist guy" and "the guy who loves war", the heroes are "the guys who want peace", and maybe they love their families too. Oh boy I can already feel the excitement!

The movie's apparent lack of interest in those questions is the greatest red flag to me. There's no indication in this trailer that the film understands how important decent characters are for this kind of movie. You could have a cornball movie about Orcs throwing around horses and it might still have some entertainment value if you make the other elements work, but if you don't give a poo poo about any of the characters then these CGI driven movies get soooo loving boring.

Sounds pretty much par for the Course for a Blizzard story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin

Vermain posted:

In fairness, their writing hasn't always been atrocious. Brood War had an interesting setup and some fantastic characters like Kerrigan, and The Frozen Throne had some nice twists and turns to it. I think they just ended up firing all of the halfway decent writers at some point so that you've now got Jim Raynor going from swearing that he'll hunt Kerrigan down and kill her for all that she's done to trying desperately to save her because he's horny and wants to gently caress.

I thought the story for Starcraft and Warcraft 3 was amazing. But I was also 11-14 when I played those games so I'm not sure how true that is. Their writing has certainly gotten worse tho. It's all been boiled down to the most simple generic stuff possible over and over again. I've lost all interest in pretty much anything they put out now.

I wonder why they didn't decide to do a feature length Warcraft Cinematic? The Warcraft style really doesn't translate well when trying to be realistic. The comically over sized Armour and Orcs just look stupid when being portrayed as realistic.

• Locked thread