Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

computer parts posted:

Hasn't happened in Starcraft 2 yet to the best of my knowledge. Kinda happened in Diablo 3 but the heroic leader got better at the end.

Happened in SC1, though. Tassadar kamikazed his big rear end ship into the giant Zerg brain thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

PoPcornTG posted:

I thought the story for Starcraft and Warcraft 3 was amazing. But I was also 11-14 when I played those games so I'm not sure how true that is. Their writing has certainly gotten worse tho. It's all been boiled down to the most simple generic stuff possible over and over again. I've lost all interest in pretty much anything they put out now.

StarCraft was goofy fun space opera story and that was fine. The problem is that the StarCraft story literally laid out every writing trope Metzen is actually capable of. That is the extent of his range, but he thinks he's crafting Tolkein-level masterpieces with his world building when he's really more of a second-class C.S. Lewis in that regard.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Frostwerks posted:

CS Lewis owns, you take that back.

You misunderstand. I like Lewis too. I'm not commenting on their ability as writers but as world builders, which is totally different. Tolkein was frankly a much better world builder than actual writer, and CS Lewis the other way around.

But even still, Metzen isn't up to a *lovely version* of Lewis in world building.

• Locked thread